General Upgrade Kits Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ziltama, Nov 30, 2020.

1. ArcheEltanin

ArcheEltanin Well-Known Member

Does anybody here have both the Matrix Workshop M10-B hammer set for Siege Magnus AND Combiner Wars Ultra Magnus? I was wondering how well the hammer works for CW Magnus, from the missile replacement to wielding the hammer

2. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dremen_Solo

Dremen_Solo Well-Known Member

Now that you mention it, I dont think I've seen a lot of people making replacement heads nowadays. I thought for sure SS86 Kup and Blurr would be getting replacement heads. Cyclonus is only getting one now and its to turn him into a different version of Cyclonus, not to give him a better more accurate head. I wonder if its because a lot of upgrade kits have moved to 3D printing which doesnt look as good for replacement heads?

• Like Like x 3
  4. Shattered Trousers

Shattered Trousers That thing Ratchet needed.

News Credits:
    Designing a new head requires a unique skillset and is quite different to designing gap fillers or accessories. It doesn't take much, the cheeks too angular or the eyes too pronounced, for a portrait sculpt to look totally wrong.

Even industry-level sculptors can get it wrong, from time to time. Here's a couple of "missed-it-by-that-much" sculpts that come to mind.

20210719_214022.jpg 20210719_213848.jpg 20210719_213659.jpg 20210719_213501.jpg

Poor Hot Shot, I don't mean to pick on him twice. Powerlinx Hot Shot has a much better face sculpt.

20210719_214506.jpg

I'd wager there are not a whole lot of portrait sculptors in the 3rd party upgrade talent pool. The few there are probably spend more of their time working on heads for complete toys rather than for upgrade kits.

~L~

• Like Like x 6
  5. Dremen_Solo

Dremen_Solo Well-Known Member

Yeah thats absolutely a good point. I'm looking at the iGear Kup head on my shelf and thinking about how miraculously good that sculpt is considering how new iGear was to the game. Their Ironhide came with some really good heads too come to think of it.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Pcsolyar

Pcsolyar JaAm Connoisseur

News Credits:
    Someone made a rough one on Cults:
    Download STL file transformers bumper upgrade for core class bumblebee • 3D print template ・ Cults

I hope we see a Bumper head made for the Worlds Collide set. That Bee has no reason to exist. A yellow Cliffjimper based on the G1 toy variant would have been better that what we're getting. The Cliffjimper mold's vehicle mode can already pass for Bumper from the windshield back. A small 3d printed kit that adds on to the front bumper to the car and a new head would really be all it takes. He won't be an exact Mazda 323, but the only major difference will be the presence of the air inlet on the hood.

Maybe I'll take a shot at cleaning up that head for core class and upsizing/changing it to fit Cliffjumper's neck joint. I'll need to check with the designer about posting whatever changes I make though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CactusReporter

CactusReporter Semi-Recognizable Leaker

News Credits:
    I'd actually love to see somebody take a stab at a new Bumper head, I need to try to find somebody who's good at sculpting to create one based on this design I've made. I might spread it around on the 3D printing boards too.
    bumperhead copy (1).png

• Like Like x 7
  8. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    New Colour SL-105 Fill Parts Upgrade Kit Enhanced Weapon For Kingdom Warpath | eBay

This is odd. This listing is for the Shockwave Lab Warpath kit but showing some of the gap fillers being painted over. The set itself originally released with all clear red unpainted fillers, which look terrible in person. Regardless, I had painted over some of the fillers the same way and still look awful.
    s-l1600.jpg

Anyhow, this listing is offering the weapons separately, which are actually pretty good. Also a good option for those buying the Go Better fillers kit.
    s-l1600 (1).jpg

• Like Like x 3
  9. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oof, that is rough. And I know there's definitely talk of making a Bumper head for the Cliffjumper mold, I just want to keep all the mini-vehicles as separate molds myself. That's why, even though it's kinda big I use MP-21 as Bumblebee with my Generations toys.

10. oneyouknowleast

oneyouknowleast Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We should take up a collection, and hire a dude on fiverr .... lol

• Like Like x 2
  11. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Dinobot Upgrade
    I bought this set and was pretty happy with the gap fillers, but I'm curious what the transparent pieces are for.

12. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

I think they go in his hands to allow him to better hold the Golden Disk accessories?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Fuze9

Fuze9 Piddle Patrol

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now that's surprisingly useful. I've been having my Dinobot awkwardly pinch the disk from the side.

• Like Like x 1
  14. CyberDragon10K

CyberDragon10K Predacon Rising

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 5
  15. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. CyberDragon10K

CyberDragon10K Predacon Rising

News Credits:
    Well, I sent him a question (asking if it was the original/authentic injection moulded plastic or not) and got the below as a response.

"hi friend,
    Please do not order , I am just resale it , thanks.‌‌‌‍‍‌‍‍‍‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‍‍‌‌‍‍‌‌‌‍‌‍‌‌‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‌"

Not sure if that's admitting it's 3D printed and painted over or if wonderfullys just doesn't want to deal with me after the Hardhead guns from a while ago. :/

• Like Like x 1
  17. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    If it's really Dr Wu's stuff and not a KO it's injection-molded. I have that set, I'll have to dig them out and get a picture later.

• Like Like x 2
  18. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    With one sole exception, Dr. Wu is always injection molded.

That's an older Dr. Wu kit.

Edit: the only exception was the odd Hound missile tip that came with their Siege UM kit.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    Pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I said, if they're the genuine article (I got mine two or three years ago from a US-based store) they're injection molded and pre-painted silver. The handles are sort of rectangular instead of your standard 5mm pegs, an the fit is pretty tight (uncomfortably so on my Bombshell).

• Like Like x 4
  20. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

Yup. That little rocket tip launched another and another and another curiosity for upgrade kits and now I'm probably a couple hundred dollars in. Which y'know, is fine, because my figures look AWESOME!

• Like Like x 1