General Rant Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Capirus, Oct 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VBBN

VBBN The Awakened

News Credits:
    Speaking as someone who works in a General Ledger accountant role, don't major in accounting. I majored in Finance and avoided most of the accounting classes (IMO, finance classes are much more palatable), but in most real-world accountant roles they generally don't gaf whether you have a major in accounting or finance, just that you have one. The only time an accounting major is truly necessary is if you want to go into public accounting and to take a CPA.. and in that case, the CPA is what my wife is doing and that's 100x worse than the major classes.

But in terms of the knowledge needed, I was not very knowledgeable at all in accounting but I've been in this role for a year and crushing it. In fact, a lot of companies will prefer someone without such experience as you can bring a different perspective to the role. Just avoid accounts receivable/accounts payable roles, those are not glorious positions.

(BTW I'm 24 and graduated in 2016, working on an MBA now, so my viewpoint is from someone newer to the industry.)

• Like Like x 4
  2. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    What about the Big 5? I know a guy that got his accounting degree and works for one of them. He barely graduated from college and is making close to 6 figures.

3. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

So i started watching 9-1-1 on Hulu. About to watch the last episode of season 1 and looked to see if they have more. They don't have season 2 but have season 3.

Why??? Of the two seasons why season 2 and not season 1...

Well guess I'll check out another show after i'm done with season 1.

/done rant lol

• Like Like x 3
  4. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    This is actually strangely rather common with those types of shows. I was watching Unsolved Mysteries on Hulu a couple months back and realized that they didn't start at season one but a later season (don't remember the exact numbers right now) and went to like season twenty-something. It's bizarre how they apparently have the license for certain seasons and not others. Same issue with some of the food network shows Hulu has on their site... with some of them it's only the last three to five most recent seasons.

• Like Like x 2
  5. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Well if that's the case then I'm cool not re-subbing when my year plan is up. Cause knowing me i'll find another show that's in the same situation.

• Like Like x 2
  6. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Buck up and exist the way you want to exist. Others will notice...or not...and that’s all OK. Be genuine and sincere and it will show through. And, it will tend to attract people who you’d actually want to have as friends.

Also: Fuck Sushi. That shit is overrated.

• Like Like x 3
  7. VBBN

VBBN The Awakened

News Credits:
    Those would be the public accounting jobs I mentioned, to get anywhere in one of those roles you have to become CPA certified.

Public accounting is also extremely demanding. I know multiple people who worked at PwC and EY and they would all be dragged through 80 hour work weeks, miserable busy season, etc. And those firms have high turnover rates, there is a strong sense of disconnect between employees and the company because of that. It's not really a great place to try to grow. Yeah, the 6 figures comes quick, but the amount of work people there deal with makes it a wash. There is a lot of money to be made in that field, no doubt, but you're much better off working for a smaller public accounting firm. The one my wife works at, people who have been there for 20 years and become partners can make over 600k a year.

But that's not to say corporate accounting doesn't offer such benefits. It depends on the industry, I'm in the automotive industry and not only am I well on my way to 6 figures at only 24 (automotive is well known for above average pay/benefits/etc), it's also a very strong position to have in an industry that many avoid due to volatility in the auto market.

Point is, accounting can be extremely rewarding, but there are many different ways to get there

8. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

I frequently get annoyed by that in streaming services.
    One episode or an ENTIRE season is missing. Smack in the middle of shows. Even worse when it's has an ongoing story.

• Like Like x 2
  9. IceCreamCyborg

IceCreamCyborg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I HATE when a strand of my facial hair somehow gets snagged in the dumbass metal ring that the drawstring passes through on a hoodie! F that stupid thing!
    Also I hate going into GameStop just browsing-
    - I don't know what what brings me in today because I don't know what you have in stock & that will lead to the conversation of preorders. & I don't want to have that conversation.
    - I won't tell you I'm really just here hoping to find something like NECA Fire Godzilla because I don't want to reserve it, I don't want to preorder it, & I don't want to know what products that may be related to it that is coming out soon.-
    - I don't want to know anything about PoP's, I do NOT want to get into that, I messed up getting into hot wheels. I don't want hot wheels on PS4, I don't want to preorder it.
    - I'm done I gotta go, hope nothing bad happens to you like getting a strand of facial hair caught in you hoodie drawstring ring!

Sometimes I feel like Walter White getting there third degree by Skylar when going into GameStop.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

People that don't know how to drive. Seriously almost got wiped out by some dumbass using a limited left turn lane as a passing lane going the opposite direction on the highway. AND, to top it off, after I swerved into the grass and honked, the bastard flipped me off. He's lucky one of us was paying attention or he would have ended up eating the front of an impala for breakfast.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    My damned apartment complex keeps randomly raising the rent. This last year we got an $80 increase and now we found out as of January it's going up another $20... another $20 after the $80 hike this year and a $60 hike last year. It's getting to a point where it's honestly cheaper to buy a house if you can come up with the down payment and have good enough credit to get a decent loan... too bad I can't do either right now.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

Whoever puts popcorn ceilings in any building should be criminally charged. That shit is so ugly that it actually gets me mad. Who the f*ck likes it that they continue to put it up in places?

• Like Like x 3
  13. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    It's ALLEGEDLY a sound dampener.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

Make it fun! Whenever I go, for s&g's, I ask for all the stuff that I know they don't have or present questions that I know they can't answer. Usually, they leave me alone because I don't fit the GameStop shopper profile, but on the off-chance they offer assistance, I ask, "Do you have any NEW Marvel Legends?" Answer is usually "no." Do you have the Transformers/Ghostbusters Ecto 1? Answer is always "no." Do you know what figure comes with Fallen Order? Answer is typically "We don't know." If I pre-order The Last of Us, what extras will I get with it? Answer is usually, "We don't know." Well, what DO you know?? :p 

I did all of that last weekend, but it was with someone who could actually help and order things from the warehouse as opposed to the standard spiel of "Whatever is on the floor..." Turns out she was really cool... and very attractive. Certainly not your typical heavyset dude with glasses and ponytail.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Well...you're supposed to be you. Not anyone else. I have to admit, I had to learn that the hard way. Growing up, I always tried to fit in, and that didn't work out as well because later in life I realized those that I thought were my friends...really weren't. A lot of them showed their true faces after I enlisted. They became distant, and hypocritical. Needless to say I ditched them. But I have to thank them. Because of them, I developed somewhat of a defiant attitude towards certain things and people. What you see is what you get. If you don't like me, then you can go f**k off. I will continue to enjoy the things I do, and do the things I want. And I'm not going to do or become anything to try to impress people or make them like me. They either will, or they won't. They either will try to get to know me and understand me, or they won't. My time is more precious and valuable to me to worry about what other people think of me all the time. I had to surround myself with those folks who would listen, and be able to converse with. It takes a while to find a true confidant. Unfortunately, I've had to go through several betrayals to learn my lesson(s).

In the end though, it should be no surprise that if you were to count how many people were actually your true "friend", you wouldn't be able to use up all of the fingers on both hands. Sometimes, not even use up all the fingers (and thumb) in one hand. And actually, that's not too bad. Some people love being social butterflies and have to surround themselves with a ton of people. Not me. I'm happy knowing that the few friends I do have, I can count on. The ones I've been through thick and thin with. There are good people out there, even though at times the bad ones seem to be more prevalent.

Hopefully, you'll find your own niche and others that can relate to you. Use this negative experience as a learning one to begin realizing who you really should call, "your friend." Let all the others go by the wayside. Do the things that make you happy. Don't try to give too much of a shit what other people think in that regard. Finding that happiness begins with looking inside yourself as opposed to trying to find it outside of yourself :)  Though I will say most of us default to finding happiness externally.

Yeah, and I'm glad it would seem that you're ok otherwise. I work in the insurance industry and shit like this gets on my nerves. People always wonder why rates go up. Well...it's thanks to shit like this when and if it results in an accident and/or people getting hurt (amongst a slew of others) is why rates go up. I'd go into more detail, but it'd be a shit ton of info that most probably won't care to read.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Again, Instagram just killed off my other account (belgrath78, same Belgrath but with 78 added, also the year I was born)... ugh. And I JUST installed the IG app on my tablet a few days ago... double ugh. Gawd, I'm starting to f--king hate Instagram and their asinine changes o_O  :banghead:  (man, I miss the days when browsing a IG account freely where logging in/signing up is NOT an option)

EDIT: Did a little digging around and found this via some Reddit thread:

Well... phooey ('cause I was gonna upload pics of my recent hauls from my Acer phone to my MacBook Pro and to my Iconia tablet)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  17. galvatran

galvatran Galvatran lives!

News Credits:
    So is a pillow. :oops: 
    :p 

18. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    Man that sucks. I forgot Florida doesn't have rent control. It may be time to send a message to your representative or mayor. I don't know how much good it'll do, but it's better than nothing.

My rant today is that I want a switch in people's brain that I can flip to turn them from stupid to smart. Heck, I'd flip my own switch right now! ...That sounds dirty; you know what I mean.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Yeah, basically the only real stipulations they have is that they can only raise the rent if the local property value increases. So if the property value in an area goes up then local complexes can increase rent up to a percentage equivalent of the annual increase. Sucks. I've written a couple of letters and called a couple of representatives already and got the typical generic responses. Best thing to do now if vote with my, well, vote. :lol 

• Like Like x 3
  20. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    Okay, who the actual **** is in charge of the Wal-Mart wifi??? It has been royally ****** since a storm last month so no one has been able to connect to it. It wouldn't be that much of a problem if I didn't have to wait an hour and a half just to clock in, uses up all my phone data just being here, and now not even my tablet can connect!!!!

I went to personel about it and they said "oh, the electronics department has to call our service provider and blablahblah" when my brother, who basically runs the entire department, knows that is bull****! Maybe if they didn't spend extra money of extra security doors that don't work for **** then maybe they could have someone fix it??????

WHY ARE YOU SO ******** ********* **************** YOU STUPID ******************** store?!?!?!

...I'm addicted to internet, if you haven't noticed....

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.