General Haslab Discussion (non-Transformers)

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by PloverNutter, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Zappit

Zappit Well-Known Member

The price will get it there. The tiers aren’t much of anything.

2. PloverNutter

PloverNutter TFW2005: We're buying them but we don't like them.

News Credits:
    @Lazerwave you asked why didn't the Rancor get funded, look at this Giant Man figure in comparison. Both have no electronics but Giant Man is a bigger figure with a more detailed sculpt/deco, more articulation so made of more parts, and its accessories/stretch tiers aren't repacks of stuff already released. The Rancor was $350 while Giant Man was $200. Rancor was overpriced to hell and it bit them in the ass.

3. PloverNutter

News Credits:
    The tiers actually do have some merit in the Marvel community. You wouldn't think it but the Skrull version of characters always sell really well as the collectors really like those figures. I could see a lot of people backing 2 figures just so they could showcase regular and Skrull Giant Man fighting each other. Then the Marvel Zombies stuff is always super popular.

• Like Like x 3
  4. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

The rancor had a four-foot wingspan, 45 points of articulation, and was 6.5 inches shorter at the shoulder than this. Both have more than the standard 29 points of articulation (this one has 29 points per hand, so of Giant Man's 91 points, 58 points are in his hands, which leaves only 33 points for the rest of him, which isn't all that much different than a standard ML figure, while the rancor had 16 more than a standard BS figure, and they weren't all in the hands - :lol ). The tiers - as we've argued for a long time - would have made up for the overpriced feeling of the Rancor, though you can't bank on the tiers to lower or raise the cost point. Here the tiers are extra faces. I don't really think it's a fair comparison.

5. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    Plus from a ACBA/photography of figure’s perspective it adds a bit for what you can do for display or photography.

• Like Like x 1
  6. raindance773

And the Skrull stuff goes well with what is being released by Marvel right now on Disney+ in "Secret Invasion" and what is currently on the shelf with Skrull Queen and Super Skrull. Same for the Zombies and "What If..." and various other Marvel Zombie releases recently (Iron Man comes readily to mind).

7. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

This should fund, $200 is a decent price and the unlocks are cosmetic features for the character. I am not a ML collector and this project imo does not have the appeal of a Galaticus or Sentinel.

8. PloverNutter

News Credits:
    Yeah it probably won't reach Galcactus or Sentinel numbers but this should reach all tiers no problem with the modest price. I do wonder if the reveal of this HasLab will affect when the TF HasLab starts. Evan said during SDCC that to expect the TF HasLab to begin in the fall and the Giant Man HasLab should end around mid October. I initially thought we might see something at Pulsecon but Hasbro has been avoiding overlaps with the different brand HasLabs lately so late October is more likely now.

9. Grun Gast

Grun Gast Well-Known Member

Hahah. That kind of reminds me of how Gundam was originally described as being hard sci-fi (because outside of Minovsky Particles things were pretty grounded and even stuff like the Zeta Gundam manifesting a barrier out of nothing but Kamille's will was explained by the experimental tech + Kamille's unusual levels of psychic power), but then Unicorn and Narrative came along and practically made things magic.

Well, how about if we compare it to the Engine of Vengeance? I do think that even compared to that, this seems like better value for money.

Please note I said "seems", because when I first saw this and heard the price my first reaction was "Oh, that's not too bad." versus my initial "What the heck?! That thing is how much?!" with the EoV. I'm pretty sure if we broke down the numbers etc it wouldn't be that big a difference, but perceptions and first impressions matter, yes?

I agree with all of you. I don't collect Marvel Legends stuff either, but it's good that a) the price feels quite reasonable for what you're getting and b) there's synergy with stuff like what's already on the shelves and what's happening with the various shows. Like, you want to slap the Skrull face on him and have him fight the MCU Giant Man? Cool, could be done. Want a lineup of the 60s Avengers? No problems there. Want to have a towering menace? Put Zombie Giant Man's face on him alongside What If Zombie Captain America and Zombie Iron Man, and there you go.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bujo

Bujo Well-Known Member

Blame HG Wells, he ruined it for everyone.

Comparing books to episodic TV series is asinine at best. The economies of each scale entirely different with books having a vastly greater ability to tailor themselves to a specific audience with virtually no time constraints limiting how deeply the author delves into world building while still being financially successful. Comparitively just look at the raging succes the live action Asimov adaptations have had. The two mediums fill entirely different niches and markets.

11. raindance773

Gundam is a great example of the blurred line between hard and soft sci-fi, totally agree. At least, it was when it was first released in the late '70s. And I do think the EoV is a better comparison between HasLabs. I definitely think EoV would have funded if it had been a hundred dollars cheaper and the tiers had been announced at the start. The comparison that the Rancor need its tiers to be shown is a valid one because none of the tiers made sense. The first was the Gamorrean Guard on a new cardback, then a pile of bones, then Salacious B. Crumb on a new cardback, then Luke on a new cardback. All three were released later and the character who would have made sense in the place of Crumb - the rancor handler - was nowhere to be found (probably because most people don't want to buy a half-naked fat dude). It also was incredibly poorly marketed as it came out right before Book of Boba Fett, but made no use of Boba's scene where he rides the damn thing around Tatooine.

But I do agree - the ability to do several different kinds of characters with this one character is going to help it. If that was my thing, you could arguably get three to have three different variants based on the head.

• Like Like x 1
  12. raindance773

SW andST both occupy a substantial comic and book market too, and Clark, Heinlein, and Asimov have all been adapted to the television and movie mediums, just as SW and ST. Is it an exact comparison? Probably not, but if we are going to ask for exact comparisons you can't compare SW and ST either. They are similar enough to make a valid comparison.

13. Ektris

Ektris Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't get why the Star Wars team thinks "figure you already have or will get solo in the future BuT oN aN eXcLuSiVe CaRd" are great incentives. All their projects, Black Series and TVC, have done it. I will not be surprised to see Kanan and Zeb at a later point on different card backs.

Anyway, I think Giant Man looks neat. The hands are really well done. Was surprised at the tiers at first, but after later seeing the explanation given, they totally make sense now.

Hope everyone who backs him gets and enjoys him.

14. Grun Gast

I suppose they saw how the Sentinel and Galactus came with either redos or "figures that may come out in future" and thought they could get away with it too? I mean, even with the HISS Tank, I'm not gonna complain if the Cobra Commander that was unlocked shows up again in future. Heck, I wouldn't even complain too much if a modified version of Haslab Victory Saber got released (especially if it fixed issues like the chest chrome getting scratched in-package).

If I remember right, the Sentinel came with Bastion and a female Sentinel, and Galactus came with the Silver Surfer, Nova (i.e. Frankie Raye) and Morg, and I believe most of those additional figures were retools, yes?

Yeah, this is part of the reason why I say the Giant Man Haslab is well timed (since there's a bunch of 60s Avengers out at the moment), and even stuff like Victory Saber and Deathsaurus was similarly well timed since Legacy is covering so many things from the franchise's history, so they can fit in just fine. Even Engine of Vengeance I think might've done a lot better had it come out when other stuff was also putting Robbie Reyes in the spotlight.

Hahah. Never underestimate the desire and willingness to open wallets of an army-builder, eh? I'm genuinely thinking of getting one more Troop Builder Multipack so I can have 2 Autotroopers with the Animated head as soldiers and 1 with the Autorooper head as an Officer, 2 Allicons and 1 Bailiff, and randomly mix up the parts of the G2 Cybertronian troopers.

• Like Like x 1
  15. raindance773

Yes, Sentinel came with Bastion and the female Sentinel. And I do think timing hurt EoV and Rancor, but is helpful to this one. And as for troop building - I have been trying to justify in my budget two of the Trooper Builder packs just for the G2 and Alicons, since G2 was my first experience with Transformers as a kid. LOL

16. Grun Gast

Not going to lie, I would've ignored the Troop Builder pack if my supplier hadn't been able to secure 2 for me. I've no use for a single Autotrooper, for example. But with at least 2? Now we're talking. Hahah.

But that's something I hadn't considered: if I'm not mistaken the Ghost was the only Haslab running, and now that it's concluded only now is Giant-Man up, yes? And my understanding is that the next Transformers Haslab will be announced sometime in October after Giant-Man's funding period ends?

17. raindance773

I think Transformers is the next HasLab, because they normally end in November and ship in November/December time frame from the previous year. We haven't had a Black Series HasLab since Rancor, and there are rumors of a Power Rangers one coming up.

18. PloverNutter

News Credits:
    The non transforming action figure community really love the retro or unique cards for their figures. Many simply keep the figure in the packaging so having a special card is a plus for them. Personally I don’t get it but those same people probably don’t get why we like transformers, so to each their own

19. Arrival to Earth

Arrival to Earth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I probably should have been cross-posting in this thread as well. If anyone's interested, these were my weekly posts during the Ghost campaign.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Grun Gast

Oh! These are always interesting. Thank you for your hard work.

• Like Like x 1