General Haslab Discussion (non-Transformers)

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by PloverNutter, Dec 6, 2021.

1. fujishig

fujishig Well-Known Member

I wouldn't rule out them getting greedy eventually once they see how these things sell, but hopefully not.

2. PloverNutter

PloverNutter TFW2005: We're buying them but we don't like them.

News Credits:
    The Dragonfly seems to have stalled. It surged during its first day but since then the number of new backers has dried up considerably. Wonder if this will get close to the second tier or not at this rate.

3. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I’m betting they hit all of the tiers…just gonna take some time…and it may take Hasbro revealing the other tiers a little earlier than they originally planned.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Agree it's likely to hit all the tiers. Looks like its gaining about 100 a day. Should hit the first stretch goal tomorrow or Friday. Maybe the reveal of the second figure will give it a little push.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

I think the Dragonfly will hit all the goals just fine. It's not going as fast as the HISS, but it's also not a "troop-builder" type vehicle like the HISS, so I'm not surprised. We have new figure preorders going up every week this month, Target con, SDCC reveals, etc before the campaign ends, so I think each of those will give it a little nudge.

We should hit Ripcord and reveal the second stretch in the next day or two. And don't forget, the HISS got 7-8k in the final day(s), so anything resembling that will blow past the stretch goals we know about. I'm not worried at all. Also, looking back, the HISS campaign was far more forgiving with the required numbers.
    • 8,000 backers to fully fund the campaign
    • 10,000 backers to unlock Cobra H.I.S.S. Classified Upgrade #1
    • 12,000 backers to unlock Cobra H.I.S.S. Classified Upgrade #2
    • 14,000 backers to unlock Cobra H.I.S.S. Classified Upgrade #3
    • 16,000 backers to unlock Cobra H.I.S.S. Classified Upgrade #4
    So if the Dragonfly had those goals, we'd already have an earlybird and two stretch tiers unlocked, just wondering about the third and fourth. I think the more stringent unlock goals give the Dragonfly an aura of less success... when in reality, I'm not even sure that's accurate from a sheer numbers perspective. I'm sure someone who charted the HISS's daily progress could tell us for sure.

• Like Like x 3
  6. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    GeekDadLife has the charts.

It did level off faster.

But there's the army builder factor you mention. And Haslabs have become less profitable for resellers. (You need to sell for a couple hundred extra to break even with shipping and selling fees.)

And there was no earlybird, which could shift sales to the backend or at least later. (Sure, you don't get charged until the end but some people don't want to commit until later and it makes sense to buy/renew Pulse Premium before you back.)

Also, you tend to see a modest spike just before hitting a tier and after a tier is announced if it's especially enticing.

And HISS had those sooner.

But by contrast, there are fewer tiers here.

I think this will have no trouble hitting all its goals, even if it takes until the last day, but I'm also expecting smaller numbers than the HISS.

I'm thinking it will be around 21k.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Mark

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Well it hit the 13K mark. 16K unlock revealed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. PloverNutter

News Credits:
    So how is the Dragonfly not an army builder? I don't know much about GI Joe but in the reveal stream for this HasLab they showed literally dozens of this helicopter on the screen at the same time from old show clips.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mark

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Yeah I was wondering that too

10. John ofthe Dead

John ofthe Dead Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The unique character, Wild Bill, can't really be army-built. Heck, none of the unlock tiers are generics, either. All unique so far. All the HISS figures are generics, so you can feasibly have multiples in your collection.

Of course, you could always sell the duplicate figures and recoup some of the expense. But still, the total package (vehicle plus figures) isn't quite as well suited to army building as the HISS was.

• Like Like x 4
  11. PloverNutter

News Credits:
    The hiss tank also came with a cobra commander. Isn't he a unique character, unless it is a title passed down to a faceless person whenever the last one is killed or something.

Like you said I think people could sell their duplicates as I am sure there are some people who want those specific characters but don't want a giant helicopter with them.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RKStrikerJK5

RKStrikerJK5 number one Bangles fan on the boards

News Credits:
    I've said on the GI Joe thread, but the HISS tank was lightning in a bottle. It's one of the most iconic, if not the most iconic vehicle in the franchise. We've been starved of product, especially vehicles. At the time all that had been officially released was the RAM cycle and another motorcycle that came with the Baroness.

• Like Like x 3
  13. RodimusRex

News Credits:
    They moved on the Rancor. They moved on the Engine of Vengeance. They moved on Unicron. They moved on the Skystriker.

Sure. Those are all failures or near-failures.

But they also moved on the HISS Tank by adding the Cobra Commander tier.

And they moved on Galactus.

And they moved on the Proton Pack indirectly by adding features.

EDIT: In particular, on each of these except Unicron, what they moved on was the tiers.

14. Cosmos Kramer

Cosmos Kramer Well-Known Member

I wish I could somehow source a Unicron. I wasn't back into collecting yet and was not even aware there was a "Haslab".

• Like Like x 1
  15. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    What did they move on Galactus? I don't recall any of the tiers being lowered on that one. Pretty sure it funded as it was originally intended.

• Like Like x 1
  16. RodimusRex

News Credits:
    They changed the tier unlock goals when it got stalled.

17. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Yeah, can you provide proof of that? Because I backed and followed that one close and don't remember that happening at all. If anything I remember people being panicked it wasn't going to fund until it did and then started shooting through it's goals on the last couple of days. But I don't remember anything being changed or lowered on that one.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Legate

Legate RIP Kevin Conroy and Akira Toriyama

Uh, no they didn’t. That tier was already there.
    The only adjustment made for that tier was in the way it was revealed because they weren’t ready when it was unlocked; the campaign literally outpaced them.
    They used conceptual artwork instead of renders because the didn’t HAVE renders yet, but other than that there was always a tier Four and it was always CC. Further, the logic you’re asserting with the HISS doesn’t fit with the rest of your argument; the HISS was WILDLY successful while many of the other campaigns listed were either dismal failures, marginal failures, or marginal successes. The data point the HISS provides doesn’t match the rest.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I agree, I don't recall the tiers of Galactus changing at all. Same for the Hiss Tank.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RodimusRex

News Credits:
    Surfer was originally an 18,000 tier.

They went 16, 17, 20 because Surfer's tier was lowered to spike orders.