General Haslab Discussion (non-Transformers)

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by PloverNutter, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

Hasbro Pulse doesn't ship in most parts of the world. The .com site only ships to the US and Canada, and there's separate sites for the UK and EU (and I don't even think every member country). The rest of the world is locked out of Pulse. I don't know what TFSource acting as a reseller - putting up preorders for Transformers that they pledge for the same as a collector ordering just one - has to do with these figures being on store shelves though? I feel like the conversation has meandered away from the intended point.

EB Games no longer exists, either. Even Canada got all those folded into just GameStop now.

• Like Like x 1
  2. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Wish that people would educate themselves before putting silly things to text and spoken word as well.

• Like Like x 3
  3. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seems Deathsarus will be funded quickly.
    Funny that this and Victory Saber can get backers.

Meanwhile Ghost Rider became divisive.
    I hope Hasbro learns their lesson

They rather make survey first before announcing.

4. JT-bob

JT-bob Autobum

Ebay:
    They shouldn't need to survey, they should know their customers well enough to deliver something that will delight them at a price that seems reasonable. Giving their customers only what they think they want is not a path to success, they need to be shown something they weren't even sure would be possible in their collections. But releasing it at a price that seems way above what's being delivered surely isn't the path to success either, and I think that's ultimately the sticking point for the division on Ghost Rider more than anything else.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Huktonfonix

Huktonfonix Well-Known Member

Part of the point of Haslab is that these are projects that are uncertain for retail release. A lot of this also probably becomes market research into what their customers want.

6. Grun Gast

Grun Gast Well-Known Member

Yes, in this case I do think the big sticking point was that the Engine of Vengeance was viewed as not being anywhere near worth the price they were asking for. See, I'm personally completely apathetic towards Robbie Reyes. He means nothing at all to me. I don't hate him, I just don't care he exists. But I might've signed onto the EoV campaign because of that car. At that scale, I can see it being useful as a prop in lessons (e.g. teaching the parts of a car, or describing where people are sitting, stuff like that).

But looking at the price they were asking for, I couldn't justify it. I personally look at a Haslab in terms of the base offering, and in the case of both Victory Saber and Deathsaurus the base offerings were already worth the asking price for me. Same thing with Galactus, the HISS tank and Unicron. I like more stuff, sure, but I was quite happy with the base product. The EoV, on the other hand, just didn't feel worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    None of these projects were based on surveys or market research from what we know.

Unicron, Galactus, Sentinel, EoV, and Cookie Monster were all made because individual Hasbro employees were fans of these things. I'd wager the same is true of the Razorcrest and Jabba's barge and the various games.

The only Haslabs I can think of that were made SOMEWHAT cynically were Reva's Lightsaber (nobody COULD have been a fan of Reva when they designed it) and the Rancor (which nobody SEEMED enthusiastic about).

I am actually worried about some future Haslabs because Hasbro teased to investors that they'd have Haslabs that coincide with the D&D movie and Transformers: ROTB. That feels like doing a Haslab for the sake of doing a Haslab, potentially.

But these things are mostly, essentially just somebody's dream project or what they think we'd support.

The EoV had a couple of problems.

One is that bundling all those figures in with it upped the price.

The other is that Robbie Reyes doesn't have THAT MANY fans. His comic was canceled with under 9k readers. He appeared in 30 minutes of Agents of SHIELD (a niche show) and was in an Avengers run that, while hovering on the top 50, only moves about 40k units a month.

The campaign seemed poorly thought out to me.

But I'm also not ANGRY at Hasbro for trying it. I'm a little irate that they bundled so much stuff in that felt unrelated and charged so much.

I think a big part of Haslab is about humoring the designers' ideas for dream projects, not necessarily about selling toys.

I do think the Transformers projects, more than most, are essentially deluxe versions of potential retail items. Deathsaurus and Victory Saber could have been done in downgraded form as Commanders or even Leaders.

Unicron could have been a Titan. I honestly wish he was because he was outside my budget, too big for my display, and too fiddly for my preferences. I have a Platinum Unicron I'm actually happy enough with but I wish I could have gotten a Titan Unicron.

But Hasbro is clearly onto something that works with many of their successful projects, doing plussed up versions of things that COULD be retail for more money.

I think the HISS hypothetically could have been retail too. Maybe without the LEDs. Maybe without working treads. Probably with only one figure. But I think the product dimensions would support an online only retail offering for maybe $150 less. I think the big problem there was that no MAJOR retailer had the faith in Classified vehicles or Classified as a line after Snake Eyes. And I'm not sure BBTS, EE, and Pulse together would have ordered enough to hit the MOQ.

The only projects that have struck me as absolute pipe dreams at retail were Sentinel and Galactus. Many of the projects just strike me as an iffy retail project, plussed up and sold for double retail price. How you plus something up matters. How much value is in the tiers versus the base offering matters.

But regardless, I do think that this is GENERALLY done as a creative outlet for designers.

And it hasn't worked when it wasn't that. And I'm not convinced it will work in the future if it's just done to hype a new movie or TV show or if it's too focus grouped.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Grun Gast

I personally disagree with your belief that the Transformers projects are just "deluxe versions of potential retail items". While it's true that the likes of Deathsaurus or Star Saber could've done as significantly inferior versions, I'm quite certain that someone in the Transformers team pushed for them as their dream projects. Even with Star Saber, the Takara Tomy designer who worked on him viewed Haslab Star Saber as a chance to get him right after the Masterpiece Star Saber revealed some flaws and crucially never came with a Victory Leo to form Victory Saber.

A Classified HISS sold at retail probably I wouldn't have bought out of a belief I'd basically be buying a big plastic box. Like the Engine of Vengeance, I just wouldn't have found it worth the money. But this premium made-to-order HISS with all the stuff it comes with, even without taking into account all the tiers? Yeah, that I could justify. It was the same thing with Haslab Unicron: yes, there's the still-pretty-good Armada version and its rereleases, but I remember the Platinum edition sitting around Toys R Us for months before finally and slowly trickling away (the same thing happened with Primus). I never bought it myself partially because in my head I kept thinking, "Oh, yeah, that's pretty cool, but also pretty small."

9. Ektris

Ektris Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well they've actually admitted Deathsaurus was planned as a leader and moved to HasLab to make him bigger and better though.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Grun Gast

Plus they also mentioned that they basically began planning Deathsaurus when Victory Saber succeeded.

11. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Pretty sure he was planned as a commander, not a leader

12. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They said they were going to make him a Leader in the interview, I'm pretty sure.

I think it'd only take a few compromises and no extras at Commander but there's only one Commander slot a year and they're probably skittish about giving it to a JG1 character.

• Like Like x 1
  13. PloverNutter

PloverNutter TFW2005: We're buying them but we don't like them.

News Credits:
    Yep they flat out said he was originally planned as a leader figure in that recent interview. We dodged a huge bullet there.

14. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Wow, kinda surprised they were planning him as a leader, that'd have been a massively lame release for the character

15. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Makes you wonder why they chose not to do him as a Commander release. Like, I get that he would be totally compromised done at the leader price point, but you would think that they could fit him into the Commander price point just looking at the HasLab.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Yea, especially considering the minions were gonna be sold as cores

• Like Like x 1
  17. Grun Gast

I can definitely see how they might, say, take SS86 Grimlock and modify it into Deathsaurus, but that was definitely a bullet dodged. Still, I hope that we find out what they had in mind since I do find that sort of thing interesting. They showed off the plans to retool Origins Bumblebee into Legacy Cosmos, for example.

On another note, does anyone know if the Crimson Guards had custom red HISS tanks in the old days? I swear they only used regular HISS tanks, so maybe I'm confusing the whole "custom red vehicles for the guards" thing with the Imperial Royal Guard from Star Wars.

18. Grun Gast

If I'm not mistaken, the speculation is that there's only one Commander per year, and someone like Deathsaurus isn't as sure a thing as someone more recognisable like Motormaster/ Menasor.

And I do believe it was mentioned in the Haslab Deathsaurus thread that even at the Commander price point, he would've still been inferior to the Haslab version due to the fact that there's still a budget restriction. Like, with Legacy Pointblank wasn't there plans for bicep swivels but they were cut due to budget reasons? I imagine with all the articulation on display, a hypothetical Commander class Deathsaurus would've lost quite a few joints.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Other

Other Well-Known Member

That is not being 'found on shelves', in those countries those companies are acting as proxies for Hasbro to take orders because Hasbro Pulse does not exist in those countries, with the exception of TFsource who are likely placing an order through Hasbro Asia(similar to RobotKingdom and various other Asia based retailers). It is still a made to order product that will not hit retail shelves globally, the only difference between different markets is the way you order it based on how that market is serviced.

EB Games still exists in Australia and Deathsaurus is being offered through it and it's sister store Zing

• Like Like x 3
  20. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had and always will believed that Star Saber is feasible either Leader Class or Commander Class.
    And the addition of Victory Leo could've made it as Titan Class Packaging disregarding scale class.

But I'd like to think that a HasLab release will "fully realized" Star Saber without compromises that may come if he's released in retail.

After seeing the "Leader Evolution" gimmick in POTP and the "Titans" gimmick in Titans Returns line, I can say Star Saber is possible in retail (with or without compromises).

POTP OP = Star Saber
    OP's Body/Trailer = Star Saber's Body Chunk/Ship (no brainer, those are robot shells)
    Orion Pax = Saber (he may end up as a compromised POTP Hot Rod)
    Matrix = Brain Master (they can just retool any Titan/Headmaster molds)

And that's Star Saber alone in retail (without Victory Leo)
    It's undeniable that Star Saber's gimmick is same as Leader Evolution gimmick in POTP "framework-wise".

Sometimes back then, I was thinking if I'm the only seeing the possibility of Star Saber utilizing Leader Evolution gimmick.