Gene Simmons: "Rock is finally dead."

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Funky Munky, Sep 7, 2014.

1. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I dunno. I can universally state that all Country sucks big-ass, sweaty, dirty donkey balls. Without exception.

2. Crockett

Crockett natural bodybuilder

Donkeys sweat???

3. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    If you listen carefully, Rock is not dead, it is now just called Country Music.

I hear better rifs in Country Music then anything else that is currently branded as Rock. Shit some of it has Classic Rock feel to it.

Well, at least the Pop Country Music.

BTW, Rock will be officially dead when college kids stop listening to Pink Floyd.

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Too bad I don't like country music.

5. Killamarshan

Killamarshan Iacon Tourist

'Country' barely has a global footprint large enough for it to be considered 'alive' outside of it's domestic market.

6. Biotoakid

Biotoakid Whew what an old username

News Credits:
    if its his rock thats dead, good

7. Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75 Master of the Rules.

Here is a response from Dee Snider of Twisted Sister:

I couldn't agree more.

8. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    I wouldn't even call the crap you hear on the radio these days "Rap."
    That'd be an insult to those who actually made it a genre and actually had some decent songs. Unfortunately, a lot of them aren't even making anymore songs. All I hear (whenever I do make the mistake of tuning into the radio) is garbage. Bling bling this, bling that, women are hoes this and that. And let's not forget the other genres that heavily incorporate auto tune. I hate listening to that shit. I caught myself listening to some old stuff like Bob Dylan, Louie Armstrong, Ben E King, Bill Withers, John Lennon, and hell....even Creedence. Somehow, I enjoyed those songs more than the garbage that's on the mainstream stations.

9. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  10. Killamarshan

'You will know that rock 'n' roll couldn't be more alive. ' - in 'social media, clubs, the street'.

It's nice sentiment from Dee Snider but rock music's prominence and ability to influence the mood of the cultural zeitgeist just isn't there anymore - that's what's dead.

There are good competent rock bands out there, many listed on this thread, but the profile of the genre just won't give them the exposure that they would have had back in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Piracy has a lot to do with it but there are other factors at play.

11. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fashions and Trends change, at the moment rock's not trendy.

I just wish there was a decent Rock bar in my town, Rock's not a music it's a state of mind, and I prefer drinking with like-minded people.

12. Biotoakid

Biotoakid Whew what an old username

News Credits:
  13. Killamarshan

It hasn't really been trendy since the mid 90s. Rock and the digital age just don't seem to have meshed.

Have a drive to the Leadmill in Sheffield. My favourite venue in the whole of the Midlands/South Yorkshire.

14. Crockett

Crockett natural bodybuilder

I agree. He might as well have said, "Rock is alive and well. There's a million and one small time bands that are only known locally!"

Okay.

15. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 GATTAI Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    You clearly have not been listening to Rock. Country singers who give their music a more Rock-esque feel? Quite possibly. But Rock does not in any way equal Country. I listen to bands like Disturbed, Godsmack, Seether, Rob Zombie, and many others that range from Rock to Metal (despite Metal not being the specific topic, it's close enough to mention) and they sound NOTHING like Country music. And if you want ACTUAL riffs that kick the everloving crap out of Country singers, I advise you start a new playlist with guitarists who know how to play. Though it is hard to compare the two genres when one uses pretty much just electric guitars and the other uses acoustic.

Rock =/= Country

Rock = Rock

Country = Country

16. Prime17

Prime17 Seeker

News Credits:
    Foo Fighters, Linkin Park, Green Day, Queens Of The Stone Age, Imagine Dragons, Incubus, etc. all have world wide fan bases and still making music. Granted, all of them except Dragons have been around for about 20 years but they still have made an impact in the genre. You may not like their music but that's beside the point as they are still rock.

Yes, rock isn't as mainstream as it was a couple years ago, but does it really matter? With a simple YouTube search, you can find countless bands making music and have an Internet following. Ironically, a lot of those bands would consider being mainstream "selling out". The media oftens takes the next big thing and milks it out. It what happen to grunge and is currently happening to hip-hop.

The idea of becoming a millionare rock star overnight is dead. Then again, was it ever alive to begin with? Most people make music just for the fun of it with making money an added bonus. If history is to be repeated, then a rock explosion like the one in Seattle is bound to happen eventually and is one I like to take part in. With all this new technology and new subgenres, it'll definitely be interesting what comes next.

Rock's not dead. It's (wait for it) transformed.

17. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I re-read this again it also seems that he thinks all the bands that came out in his day just got record deals off the bat.

I guess he and Metallica need to get together and complain about digital downloads.

18. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Hey, I am not a country guy, not by a long shot. And when I think of rock, I think of classic rock which to this day is still the best rock out there. No one will ever top the Beattes, Pink Floyd, Led Zeplin or Queen.

All I am saying, is I have heard country music on reward shows and so forth and it has a very classic rock sound to it. If you don't hear that, then I cannot help on that front. Not all country but the new sound of country.

I think a lot of things killed Rock as we knew it, one of which is "rock bands" being more like emo bands then actual rock bands.

19. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Couldn't agree more, I may be an old fuck now, but music these days sucks. It's the same boring shit. Especially Rap.

Having grown up in Queens, getting rap tapes off the streets of battles between unknown rappers that ended up being people like Slick Rick and the Beastie Boys was amazing. It had a life all to itself, it was new and fresh.

Everything today feels like a cheap imitation. And music on NY Radio is the same garbage over and over again. That's why I just listen to sports Radio.

20. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    idk this shit rocks harder than a lot of modern rock music, in my humble opinon.