Gargoyles (1994 TV series)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by TrueNomadSkies, Jan 5, 2012.

1. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

So I've started watching Gargoyles again (thanks to some new channels), and now that I'm older, I'm totally remembering what I liked about it other than the scores. The plots & backstories are quite involved, the appeal is very widespread, and I've also noticed a LOT more Star Trek voices making appearances on this, and not just Jonathan Frakes & Marina Sirtis as Xanatos & Demona either. Actually, the entire voice cast is great, which is probably part of why I didn't even notice who the VA's were when I was younger.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was a huge fan of this show. Own two seasons on DVD. Never saw the third season released, which was a shame. But at least I have the Avalon story arch covered.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Lucky you. :) 

Right now, I'm pretty much just getting back into it. Disney XD has it on at 1 & 3 am weekdays, but I'm still unsure about how they're ordering it because there's a couple of episodes that I've seen 3 times in the last month, and even with 2 separate slots that doesn't make sense. At any rate, I'm really liking the Macbeth backstories, and I'm actually quite glad that nothing specific is coming back to me because it's almost like watching this fresh all over again. I can't really say that for the 90's Spiderman where pretty much everything came back, and especially not for Reboot.

Getting back to Gargoyles though, you know a show's something special when it not only still holds up today, but gets arguably better when more levels are seen without needing to be overly complex. Also, the more I watch this again, the more I see how much more put together it is than many of the other shows that I watched at the time (even more so than X-Men which I also consider a great work of art), and how much of it must have gone over my head because it wasn't as flashy as many others.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Loved the Show, and I have most of the toys.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's awesome to see this thread. I absolutely loved it as a kid.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

The show was one of the best animated series ever. Was (and still am) a huge fan and will always be. It was unlike anything that came before and didn't fit in at all with the rest of the "Disney Afternoon". Atmosphere, writing, continuity, voice acting. I just wish they would release the second half of the second season already. The third season wasn't considered canon except for the opening episode, and it sucked balls anyway, so I could care less about that, but for Disney to leave fans hanging is ridiculous (they cited poor sales of season two volume 1 as the reason). People need to pick up the DVDs so we can get that last half!

There was also a recent 12-issue comic continuation as well that picked up where the show left off and you can collect them in two trade paperbacks, including the Bad Guys spin-off with Hunter, Dingo, Fang, Matrix and Yama.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    The new Disney XD is great. Too bad the prime slots are taken by Phinnis and Ferb. I really hope they also bring back DarkWing, Tail Spin and Gummie Bears. Duck Tails is also on Disney Jr now too!

Gargoyles was a great show too. I need to set that PVR!

8. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Hahaha, it's funny you mention Phinnis and Ferb because every time I go look at what's on, I scroll down to 52... and see that damn show when I wanna see Gargoyles, or even Spiderman or X-Men. You'd think I'd learn not to do this (especially since I know the times), but it still gets me, almost every time.

I should look into that comic, too.

Also to Android Prime, do you have any pics? The only toy I have is [this] Goliath with the armour (minus the tail which got stolen), but I remember them being pretty cool, and its too bad I never ended up getting more of em (namely Hudson who I always found intriguing).

9. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Show was amazing, in fact it was the first time I ever bother to learn an actors name, "Keith David".

If you like the Show I also recommend getting the two trades for the comic book since they officially replace "season 3"

Also ... "Deadly Force" thats how you send a message to kids!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

It was an awesome series, David Xanatos is THE ultimate cartoon bad guy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This, this, and this.

This show did not fuck around. It was dark, it didn't have goofy characters. It worked up there with Batman TAS. Even Lexington, the youngest GG, had some awesome story arcs. Then they had the dual layers between what's happening now and their past. I almost would never have imagined Demona becoming evil when I saw how much she truly loved Goliath.

And yah, the music was amazing.

edit: oh yeah, the thing about Xanatos, is that no matter how much he was the bad guy, I could trust him. And that's screwed up because I knew he was lying half the time, but Frakes played him so well that I know if I was in Goliath's shoes, I would have believed every word he said.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

News Credits:
    I watched a couple episodes recently for the same reason (gotta love Disney XD with it's X-men, Spider-man, Iron Man, Ducktales and Gargoyles reruns, but where's Darkwing Duck?).

I didn't watch this a ton when it was on originally, I just remember a lot of Star Trek actors were on it. It is a pretty deep show and definitely ahead of it's time.

13. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Everything this. I know this'll sound blasphemous to some, but at it's best I feel Gargoyles surpasses Batman TAS. A cryin' shame we'll never see S2 Part 2 on DVD, especially with that spectacular (in many fans' eyes series) finale "Hunter's Moon".

My favorite television story arc ever? The four-parter "City of Stone". Terrific storytelling, with flashbacks, characters' motivations, everything. Not just the finest animated tv, the best tv period. IMO on par with the best of BSG, Arrested Development, The Wire, basically anything!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't remember too much about them; I only saw a few episodes.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does this have to do with poor sales? Or is there another reason?

I loved Brothers Betrayed. Freakin' awesome episode.

16. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Couldn't have said it better myself. You knew he was gonna screw you over, you often knew that it wasn't your only option... but you trusted him anyway, and you did this episode after episode.

Also to Janitor, I definitely think it surpassed X-Men & possibly Spiderman... but it's pretty hard for me to place Batman (especially including the 1992 continuations) on a lower rung than anything comparable. Like, this isn't to discredit Gargoyles by any means (especially now that I'm especially high on it), but those Batman shows have always been the definitive representation for me, so it's pretty hard for me to knock it outa tier one. Maybe they can share it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, to me Gargoyles is up there. Way up there. It can hang with Batman, but Batman TAS is Television animation history's epitome. Definitely not trying to derail, but did anyone ever play the Sega Genesis game?

• Like Like x 1
  18. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    I think a friend of mine had it when we were younger, but sadly, it didn't get much play from either of us. :( 

19. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Gargoyles. Best cartoon series of its time. No contest.

Also, The Goliath Chronicles never happened. Do you hear me?! Never!

• Like Like x 1
  20. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

I picked it up recently out of pure curiosity and the fact I'm a big fan. For what little I've played, it's pretty good.