Games you gave up on.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by TheWarPathGuy, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    @FiVE1ZERO i know!! I thought I was good at Castlevania 1. My fastest time was like 14 minutes. And that was tearing through it without dying, without hardly stopping. And then I saw some guy do it in 11! They were doing things I didn’t even know were possible. I spent a long time trying to recreate some of their tricks to see if it was even possible (some I was able to pull off, a couple I still haven’t to this day).

• Like Like x 1
  2. TLK Barricade

TLK Barricade Keep calm and Hail Megatron.

Batman: Arkham Knight, the only Arkham game in which I didn't even finish the main story. Please excuse the language in this one. So, Rocksteady finally allowed us to drive the Batmobile, only to make it control like ass when it wasn't in Battle Mode, cram it into more sections of the game than necessary as if they never wanted it to leave our sight, and for some strange reason, they even decided to incorporate stealth sections for it! This Batmobile is a tank. A freaking tank. Who the fuck uses a TANK to sneak around? How is it even possible to sneak around in one of those? Anyway, I made it the part where you have to battle the Arkham Knight and his squad of tanks by driving up behind them, waiting for the Batmobile to lock on to their weak spots, blow them up, get the fuck out of there before the rest of them blow your ass up, and repeat the process until the Arkham Knight is defeated. After around 10 or so failed attempts, I said, "Fuck this game!" and permanently rage quit the damn thing. I removed it from my PS4, put it back in its case, returned it to GameStop, and watched someone else play the rest of the game on YouTube. I don't regret this decision. Even after 4 years, I still have no intention of giving it second chance. The next time I feel like playing a Batman game, I'll either buy the remastered versions of Asylum and City or, if the PS5 turns out to be backwards compatible with PS3 games, track down a used copy of Origins (why that one didn't get a remaster, I don't know).

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I never played it due to not going for that generation of systems, but a friend did, and the Batmobile stages made him permanently quit playing that title.

As for me, believe it or not at first Arkham Asylum proved a little tough for me, but I just took a little time off it, then passed through with new eyes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NSJ23

NSJ23 Not today Chumly, not today.

But i like the bat-mobile parts.... i don't disagree with anything else said (i finished the game and got all the riddler clues) they were a pain but i like them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

OK, that's impressive. I could never do that with NG1. I was usually OK up until the final bosses, then they'd beat me and I'd have to go back to the beginning of the Act.

Ninja Gaiden II, on the other hand...that one I could destroy on one life :D 

Speaking of Ninja Gaiden...
    I gave up on the Xbox remake. It's just too damn hard.

Some of these speedrunners are amazing. Just last week I watched someone speedrun Fester's Quest. They knew a glitch that instantly skipped bosses.

CV1 is the first game I ever truly gave up on back in the day. Could never beat that c**ksucker Grim Reaper, so I sold it to a middle school classmate. Re-bought it a few years later (and a few years wiser when it comes to games) and beat it the next day...sometimes experience really is the best teacher :D 

But, similarly to NGII, I could run through CVIII pretty easily.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kraven

kraven Decepticon

Rdr2. Absolutely hated the controls. Couldn’t get used to them. Accidentally killed a couple NPCs because of wanky controls, then I did a mission to steal a carriage, turned the camera behind me to see if I was in the clear, and my horses plowed into a random tree and died, failing the mission. Turned it off then and never looked back. I’ve thought about giving it another try but then I think of the horrible controls and I just can’t do it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    RDR2 and MK11. The grinding in MK11 destroyed my interest. I missed the glitches for alot of that by approx. 30 minutes.
    RDR2 controls and opening chapters just completely ruined it for me.
    I enjoy the vids and stuff, but just don't have the time to invest.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jetfire343

Jetfire343 No matter the continuity, Jetfire always rules!

Oracle of Seasons and by extension Ages at least for the time being, though i suspect that was more than i was getting bored out after going on a 100% completion zelda marathon that was Oot, WW, TP, MM, ST, Alttp, Albw and TMC

9. Mudslide

Mudslide Eyes rolled so hard they fell out of my head.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star and Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon for the 3DS.
    BOTW, Splatoon 2 and those MegaMan compilation games for the Switch.
    Can't remember back to the SNES/N64/Gamecube days

10. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    Here is one from my childhood. South Park for the N64. There was a toy robot boss that JUST. WOULDN'T. DIE! I wonder if I tried it now, I could kill it, though...

11. UndertakerPrime

Another giving up story that has a happy ending:

Back in the day, I gave up on both Final Fantasy VIII and IX for different reasons.

FFVIII is just really boring, with a dumb story and a Junctioning system I didn’t understand.
    OTOH, I enjoyed FFIX...up until the part you chase Kuja around everywhere. It just seemed like blatant padding, and failed to hold my interest.

Fast forward to 2012...
    I knew my available time to play games would go down when my twins were born that August. So I resolved to beat both those games, and I did. Finally understood the FFVIII Junctioning system once I read about it on GameFAQS. FFIX gets much better after that major plot lull that caused me to quit more than once.

I still own that game, and I think I actually pushed myself to finish it once, though it took a LOT of pushing. Never played it again after that, so I don’t remember much about it. Definitely not the best FPS I’ve ever played.

• Like Like x 1
  12. FiVE1ZERO

FiVE1ZERO ***FT Screwdriver Collector ONLY.!***

DISCLAIMER: I've beaten them all when I was a teenager!
    It breaks my heart to say this but the OG RE 1-3 for the PlayStation. I recently played them on my PS Classic and oh man how I am spoiled now bc of RE2RM lol. Still has a charm/nostalgia to them though. Will return to them but just not now as I have other things to play @ the moment;) 

13. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Sad Derpfester Noises

News Credits:
    Okay might get some flack for this but Knights of the Old Republic. It was shortly after I had gotten my Xbox for my birthday and basically ran to our local Blockbuster one Friday after school. Picked it up along with another game or two and basically spent the night gaming. Well spent about 3 hours in when I finally got stuck. To be honest it wasn't really the games fault, it was my first time playing a game like this and completely fudged my stats. Instead of starting over I just gave up and went to play Secret Weapons Over Normandy. Years later I'd find out that 3 hours of grind was like 5% of the actual game. :lol  Probably could do it now but I don't think I'd have the patience.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Caminus Prime

Caminus Prime Banned

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Any Mortal Kombat games except the PS2 ones. It's more fun when you're playing with friends.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Aimless Misfire

Aimless Misfire Banned

News Credits:
    Witcher 3. Bored out of my mind, didn't care about the characters & after a while I didn't follow the conversations. They would talk & talk & talk & at the end I was like What? I heard what you said but I didn't hear a word you said. Blah blah blah.

16. matrixprime

matrixprime Just a guy who likes toys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    BOTW and Jedi:Fallen Order are my most recent additions to this list.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

I enjoy Breath of the Wild but, I haven't touched it in awhile. I kinda felt overwhelmed by it.
    As for Jedi Fallen Order, my brother has yet to complete it after only owning it for a month. As he's confused by it's design, and doesn't touch the game frequently.

I am really turned off by Metroidvania games or more linear games like Zelda that don't make the objective clear without the player needing a guide, the player finally realizes it after hours, or the player finds it by mistake.

18. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

I have a 5 Hours Rule with games. I'll play any of them for up to five hours, and if it doesn't engage me, I just ditch them and recycle the game. There's been lots of them over the years, too many to list here, but the rule is a solid one for me, since I don't have as much time as I would like to game, and therefore, the gaming experience for me needs to engage me deeply.

That said, recently, FF XV and No Man's Sky both got past my 5 Hours Rule, and I put them away for different reasons. I'll probably go back to both some time in the future (the latter received a massive update, which changed the game play, so it's worth it).

19. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fester’s Quest was one of my favorite NES games.

For me it’s Dragon Quest VI. I’ll go back and beat it eventually.

20. UndertakerPrime

As inspired by @MST3KFan 's excellent webcomic...
    I gave up on both N64 Turok games.
    The first one had frustrating platforming and really bad "fog" to mask draw distance. I felt like I always had to inch forward, because enemies could suddenly charge out of the fog and decimate you. Made for very tedious progression.

The only thing I remember about the second game is some boss fight against a van/truck with bad guys in it. I remember that my shots were doing minimal damage and I ran out of ammo because of it. I think I quit at that point out of frustration.

Saw a video of the Switch remasters and the draw distance has been greatly improved.

Masochist, are we?
    :p 
    JK. As I said earlier in this thread, the actual gameplay, graphics, and music in FQ are perfectly fine; it's a few iffy design decisions that make people not like it. I played it a bit back in the day, but only finished it once. It was a lot more tolerable with a NES Advantage, or other controller with a turbo function. Made short work of those multiplying slimes.