Games that haven't aged well.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by CastletonSnob, Nov 14, 2016.

1. CastletonSnob

CastletonSnob Well-Known Member

What are some games that were great for their time, or that you loved as a kid, but have aged poorly?

2. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

none. because when i play a game, i understand that game was created within the timeframe it was created in.

it's called retro gaming.

• Like Like x 1
  3. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Final Fantasy 7: my wife never played it back then and she can't stand the bland polygons and extremely long "3D capability show" during summons.

Compare this to 2D sprites which did age well. She finished most of the golden age RPG on the snes.

Most of the early PSx games since controls are horrible. Tomb Raider, and Resident Evil immediately come to mind.

I understand the nostalgia factor of retro gaming but you can't just wallow in it either. It's not like toys.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  4. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

All of them :lol 

5. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Sadly I'd have to agree as much as I love FF7. It starteding feeling dated by FF8 as each later FF benefited from newer technology and the popularity of the series made each game different than the earlier 2d FFs.

6. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

?? thats a weird way of looking at it mate. You can say a game has aged badly and still admire it for it's time, it's not about understanding anything.

Anyway, the Warcraft RTS games haven't aged very well at all.

• Like Like x 1
  7. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    i don't really know if this counts as the game aging badly or just me........

megaman games. i used to be able to blast through them within a day. now i can't even get through one screen sliding transition.....

8. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Goldeneye the controls are crap by today standards

• Like Like x 1
  9. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

i was gonna say this.

• Like Like x 1
  10. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

That only counts if you're playing it on it's original platform. Ports to newer systems can make an old game look really bad.

11. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    I adore the old Disney games from my childhood - Toy Story 2, A Bug's Life, Dinosaur - but I have to say they have way less replay value than I remembered. Like take something like Kingdom Hearts. There's still quite a bit of questing to do after you have the first opportunity to finish the main story and various rewards to find afterwards, especially when stuff like the re-releases started adding shit, and the most recent games only unlock stuff for you after completing the main story once. With the Disney games, basically your reward is a movie cutscene with lower audio quality. I love the three games I mentioned - Toy Story 2 and A Bug's Life are huge open world type games with fun platforming, and Dinosaur is really enjoyable to play from start to finish for me as a lifelong fan - but I get frustrated when all you get is a cutscene. Different times, for sure.

Even Crash Bandicoot kinda suffers from it. Especially the first one where there was barely a plot. I'm a huge lover of plot in video games, so its a big deal for me whether there's a good plot or not. The gameplay is still absolutely fun, but I hate games where the story only advances after the end of a stage. Kingdom Hearts (the first one) found a way to keep the main plot going throughout all of its' levels, though it later fell into this trap as its' levels stories became more and more tangential to the main plot.

12. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

It's fully possible to both understand the time something was made and the technical limitations of the time, and to also recognize where better design and game play fundamentals were always possible. The latter isn't the same as judging something outside of its history--it's the same as looking at an artist's earlier work and realizing that they weren't as good then as they are now (or in some cases, the reverse).

I think that most of the games from the 8-bit era that don't age well have already been filtered out by the mists of forgetfulness. Out of the games we still remember, I'd count the first two entries in the Metroid and Zelda series. Recent games in both series have been criticized for not providing adequate exploration. However, the early are comparatively obtuse, tedious, and monotonous. The games closer to the middle of each series (mostly 16-bit era, some N64 and GameCube) got the design and gameplay pretty much perfect.

I'd also add the original Mega Man, not because it's in any way bad or lacking, but because Mega Man 2 and afterwards absolutely blew it out of the water. The first game in the series aged poorly immediately on getting a sequel, not recently.

In the 16-bit era, I think there were games that, while not necessarily bad, were severely overhyped due to their technological achievements. This is sort of the reverse problem of misjudging a game by its outdated technology--we misjudged the game all along due to where the technology was at the time. Killer Instinct and the original Mortal Kombat trilogy were never great fighting games--nor were they bad ones! But we made a bigger deal out of them because of their graphics and other novelties that seem silly now. Same for Donkey Kong Country, which is a trilogy of solid platformers that are merely above average if we ignore how well they use the graphics and sound of the SNES.

Virtually every third-person action/adventure/horror game of the 32-bit era that tried for any level of realism has aged badly. I'll forgive them for being ugly, as that's the technology. But they're also slow, clunky, clumsy, and largely boring. Their primary advantage was "realism" and ambience, and those just aren't there anymore. There's little else left to make them compelling now.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    This. Most of the early 3D games are hard to go back and play now; camera, control, and collision/clipping is a lot better now. Earthworm Jim on the N64 is so awful - it was annoying in its time, but it hasn't aged well at all. Some games that had bad or nonexistent camera control back then are just too frustrating to deal with now, like Body Harvest. Simpler graphics are one thing, I like to go back to Beetle Adventure Racing or DK64 or Treasures Of The Deep and deal with the super-coarse graphics, but it's another thing entirely to try picking up Syphon Filter and deal with clunky controls that were eclipsed even in their own era.

It's fine if you're doing a retro gaming marathon and you get used to it, but it isn't like picking up Galaga or SMB or old GB/GBA games and playing for a bit and then going back to a modern game.

14. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Early FPS console games come to mind.

15. gregles

gregles quintesson

Street fighter ex plus alpha games
    Early mortal Kombat games
    Quake 2 especially the ps1 version
    Nearly every Sonic game released from the dreamcast era and beyond.
    Most movie tie in games released after the 16 bit era and some during and before obviously.

16. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

Pokemon Red and Blue. I loved them when I was a kid, but I'm honestly wary of going back to them. I still haven't bought them off the 3DS VC yet. Y'see, they're glitchy mess with terrible balance (Psychic kills EVERYTHING) and some pretty dumb programming that can lead to some hilarious outcomes - if a CPU Pokemon has a move with a type advantage against yours, it'll use that move... Even if it's a non-damaging boosting move. Case in point: All-Terrain Venomoth's legendary victory over Lance's Dragonite, who kept using the boosting moves Agility and Barrier because they were Psychic, and had a "type advantage" over Venomoth's Poison-type.

17. seali_me

I played Rockman 2 before Rockman 1. I had more fun with how much harder the first was. Another difference are the backgrounds and technology. 70's futuristic vs 80's futuristic.

The American version was stupid easy. I can see why the west liked it better. Same as how MH finally gained popularity after making it easier for North Americans.

I try and finish most of them every year. The gameplay doesn't get stale. Same as X on the snes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mario RPG. I loved it at the time, and the visuals and humor and sound still hold up, but not so much the gameplay. I played through it last year and found it to be a lot of grinding with tedious battles. They put the enemies on the screen to avoid them if you want, but honestly they were pretty hard to avoid a lot of the time and if you did avoid them, well, you won't be strong enough to beat the boss of an area usually. I think Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger have aged a little better in that the battles are a bit faster and the story bits being better payoffs.

Some people have mentioned Mega Man, and while I'm not the biggest fan, I played through a lot of the NES ones a few years back and actually found them still very enjoyable. In fact, as a kid I was intimidated by them, but now I felt a whole lot more comfortable with the mechanics.

• Like Like x 1
  19. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

it's how slow they are compared to when you get the running shoes in later games, I just can't... do it...

20. seali_me

(Some) people love the old game mechanic so much 9 and 10 were born with old school everything.

How many games have done that?

• Like Like x 1