Games may be Delayed...Video Game voice actors now Striking.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Tekkaman Blade, Oct 21, 2016.

1. combaticonsfrvr

combaticonsfrvr Lusus Naturae

You're right, you never said anything about videos without voices being unable to succeed, you just (intentionally or unintentionally) implied it, while also implying voice actors were as important to video games as programmers.

But I can argue with that. There's plenty of games that had bad voice acting and were still good games.

Example:

This game (Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion) shown in these clips is one of the best games I've ever played, and sports a 10/10 on Steam, 9.3/10 from IGN, and a shit ton of other good reviews despite the voice acting being sub-par in general (can't beat Patrick Stewart's performance in the beginning though). You know why? Despite the bad voices, the story, the content of the dialogue, graphics, world design, and gameplay all excelled. It's prequel had even worse voice acting (for the few moments when they actually had voice acting), to the point where even the grunts of pain they made when they were hit sounded like they were just having a bit of bowel trouble, and was similarly awesome in all departments.

And for the record, before anyone goes "YOU'RE AN EVIL BASTARD WHO HATES VOICE ACTORS IN VIDEO GAMES": no, I do not hate voice actors in video games, and I do think they need some sort of pay reform. I just don't believe they're anywhere near as important as programmers when making a game.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, because I play video games for the actual video game. Good graphics and voice acting are icing, not the cake.

Nice job missing my point.

• Like Like x 1
  3. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

I'm actually surprised at how many people are against this.
    From my understanding, the voice actors want a similar bonus to what other employee's get once a game sells so much... so why shouldn't they?

Look at david hayter or whatever as an example, pushed out because they wanted Kiefer Sutherland. It's bullshit.
    This isn't indie companies or whatever, it's fucking EA, Activision, Disney, etc.

4. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

But I could argue that the fucking impact from The Last Of Us wouldn't be there if it was badly acted. Seriously, it's a fun game without everything but you play it for the whole experience.

5. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

I think it's under preferences.

Also I never got the impression that you were only one sided. just there to converse and give your input.

I even think you're on the right track.

The Last Of Us isn't a game. It's more of movie. One of few games where I can feel everything just by watching. The mundane tasks like ladders, blocks etc could have been replaced by survival elements especially with the game's background story. Make me feel I was I that world instead always only having to worry about getting from point A to B like most FPS games. Make me feel how important Ely is the world and that ending would have meant even more.

Unlike Catherine where you do feel the pressure of the puzzle along with story events. All that cheating, unwanted pregnancy, moral dilemmas. That was an awesome feeling and it mirrors the game's difficulty progression. Add the wife reading the questions to you and vice versa. It was quite an experience.

The voice acting wasn't outstanding either but it was just enough. The game elements, puzzle difficulty, atmosphere, story were nothing less than fantastic.

I never liked David Hayter. He's a reminder of 90's bad voice actors. Thank god he's gone.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  6. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

it's not though, it manages to be the perfect balance between interactive movie and game, it's just incredibly well put together. You can feel everything by watching BECAUSE the actors are THAT good, if they were bad you wouldn't feel that.

7. seali_me

I'm not questioning the game's voice acting.

I'm questioning the gameplay. What would make me play it? I stood in front of the bargain bin for maybe 10 minutes asking myself that same question. I think I've done this multiple times.

The main reason why I didn't pick it up was I would have more fun watching someone else do all the mundane video game mechanic tropes for me and just watch it.

Kinda like how my wife made do all the puzzles so she can get the story progression quick enough. She doesn't like puzzles games. Or maybe she wanted to grill me with those damn questions and watch me suffer under the spotlight like the protagonist. Say something now and watch it chase after me like the game's bosses. I'm not sure but it was a gaming experience I'll never forget.

I compared the two games which heavily attached emotions to it's audience. I asked myself what could have the Last of Us do with the gameplay to better convey the desperation of a post apocalyptic world. I think the walking dead did a better job in that department. It didn't use any of the story elements to make the player experience the desperation of being hungry, homeless, fear for your life, to suggest sacrificing Eli for the common good was the better choice. Instead it held the audience the entire game with saving her. To me that choice was key to that ending and making me feel like it was game. Pretend. Immersion. That's the key difference between a good game and a good interactive movie.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  8. Hot Shot.

News Credits:
    If a civil discussion makes you want to break things for not going your way, you probably shouldn't be using internet forums. Just being honest.

• Like Like x 1
  9. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I think the issue has more relevance for those that are...let's call them voice actor fans..and less so for those that don't pay much attention to these performances. Last of us is a great example...for some the voice acting makes the game for others it's just another technical component to it. LOU great, but they could have picked any one for those roles and I would have still loved the game.

10. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    well, considering pilots, construction workers and athletes get more money for being more rare and more particular in their field...

also thanks for introducing me tk the term 'fingers in the pie mentality' @smkspy

• Like Like x 1
  11. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

I'm not a massive lover of voice actors by any means, I appreciate the work they do though.
    But yeah, you have no idea how different you'd feel if the voice actor was different and of a different quality is what I'm saying.

12. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think part of it just really depends on the game itself.

I've been playing a lot of games that require me to read a ton of dialogue, so the voice acting is somewhat minimal.

However, I look at games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age and am just in awe at how much acting is required, and that it has to be somewhat believable.

Though I can't help but see the title and wonder if FFXV is going to be delayed again :lol 

13. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

I just really wish people would stop using the last of us as an example...as that game bored me to death and the cliche's wanted me to crush the disk. *which was a rental thankfully*

14. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

ok, GTA 5.

15. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Never played GTA 5.. But at least it's not the last of us.. So I'll take it. ;) 

16. combaticonsfrvr

combaticonsfrvr Lusus Naturae

This.

Graphics and voice acting make a game pretty, they don't make a game good.

17. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Actually.. I'd say the graphics issue has become a problem. Companies no longer look for neat tricks to bypass graphical limitations, instead they just scream "MAOR POWAH!" instead of working with what they have.

Hell one of the most Iconic video game characters looked the way he did, because of the color limitations on the NES.

18. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Games this generation have been nothing but delayed, so this is nothing new.

With that said, since I have a few friends that are voice actors for the games, I hope this goes over well.

• Like Like x 1
  19. seali_me

Whether or not the characters in a game have a voice, bad voice or good voice, it has no importance nor influence on my gameplay.

I mean a lot of you love David Hayter and you guys didn't even see how bad of a voice actor he is.

20. Hot Shot.

News Credits:

"Hard to play through"