Games may be Delayed...Video Game voice actors now Striking.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Tekkaman Blade, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  2. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

We don't need voice actors to enjoy a real game. We don't need any of them.

• Like Like x 2
  3. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

this gives youngsters the opportunity to read dialogues between characters instead of hearing it.

reading is important.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Ugh, I hope they reach some sort of agreement before this becomes ridiculously long.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Maybe now we'll get Half Life 3.

6. seali_me

Don't be surprised if this comes out of your wallets.

We're slowly inching back to 90's prices.

7. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bullshit. These are video games, not movies. They don't deserve this before the programmers and game designers who actually make the games worth playing. I'd rather have more "Oh my god JC a bomb!" moments than let this industry-wide imbalance occur just because self-important blowhards like Wil Wheaton think they're "interactive movie" stars.

What are they even asking for here? Throat massages? Ice cream? I know Peter Cullen was coughing up blood for Predator, but I doubt Troy Baker strains his throat anywhere near that hard.

8. seali_me

Aren't most "video games" today just that interactive movies?

Looks up Will Wheaton* ah you meant Wesley Crusher!

• Like Like x 1
  9. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

Nah mate, I'm sorry- you're wrong. They lend their voice, they do the job. It might not be as hard or time consuming as the programmers but it's just as important.

10. seali_me

It wasn't as important back when gameplay was the forerunner.

Unless you're making interactive movie "video games".

There's a lot of good ones on YouTube. Just make sure you type no commentary. Sit back and enjoy the "game".

Take away the good voice acting in the Last of Us and you'll get your standard boring FPS now with added ladders.

11. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

That's it right there, without the acting that game just becomes a shooter, the actors breath life into those characters and make them memorable- they deserve everything the people who made the game get because without them it's fair to say it wouldn't have done as well as it has.

• Like Like x 1
  12. seali_me

It really deserves the genre to be called interactive movies.

13. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

Must be, and to be fair to the latest expansion I've not heard so many voiced lines in an mmo before, it's quite shocking walking around the end zone city and hearing children singing school songs and such, never had anything like it in WoW. Plus the guy who voices Winnie the Pooh seems to be on tap for them

14. ByteBack

ByteBack Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    This. As somebody who's spent half their life working in the video games industry, I can't get over the whole argument about residual payments. I understand that voice work tends to be quite patchy, but that doesn't mean the voice actors deserve to constantly rake it in to cover the lean periods where they can't get work. And now that the argument is "now big name celebs are doing more voice work, we're not getting as many jobs" - well, that's the business that you're in. Suck it up.

When the people who've worked 80 to 100 hour weeks for months on end are given a fair reward for their work, rather than the minimum amount that studios can get away with; then we an talk about the financial hardships that VO artists go through. When the development staff get a guaranteed share in the profits and not rewarded with a "go find another job" letter at the end of a game, then we can talk about residual payments for VO artists.

A lot of the other concerns make sense, especially ensuring that demanding VO work is limited to certain time limits and periods - but the whole thing about getting extra money for work that they were already paid to do? Forget it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. seali_me

The problem is great voice actors can also cripple gameplay growth in the industry. Just imagine even more interactive movie "games" flooding the market.

I'm really with Nintendo style with story (including voice acting) taking the backseat and gameplay driving the sales.

Evidence of this can be seen with big N games carrying their console throughout the years.

Also game devs make the game not voice actors. When I turn on any console I want to play not watch something.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ByteBack

ByteBack Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I think that VO artists needs to be careful with this. Even big name actors can end up with a nasty surprise when trying to fight it out with video game studios. At the end of the day, VO artists are a resource, and they can be replaced or kicked out without any issue. These are video games, not movies.

At the tail end of the PS1 era, I was working on a game for an animated film that had a famous actor. My employers had bought all of the interactive rights, and the contract even included the right to use all footage in the movie in the game itself.

Except for the bits that were voiced by the big name star. As it turned out, what we hadn't been told was that the big star was exempt from our contract. Not only was his management demanding a lot of money for additional VO work for the game. As it turned out, we'd also have to pay extra for any parts of the movie that used his voice! And if we used a sound-a-like, we'd also have to pay full fees to the big name actor. And we'd also have to pay residuals.

I was in the meeting with the actors management when we presented our proposal. We could use his movie dialog without charge, and pay the fees for extra VO work or we'd cut out all dialog for his character in the game, and not use any of his speaking parts from the movie footage. His management went absolutely ape-shit, shouting and swearing, telling us we couldn't do this and more. The phrase "Don't you know who you're dealing with" was screamed more than once.

So we stripped out all of his speaking parts.

If a small British developer is willing to do that to a big name star, just think what the big publishers are willing to do to less well-known VO talent.

• Like Like x 1
  17. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

What about the people who aren't big name greedy types? The ones who go from job to job and record hundreds of hours of voice work for background characters with multiple takes?

If you make a watch, every cog is important.

18. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    toy Story? Emperor's New Groove?

19. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Just more fingers in the pie mentality. I think VOAs are gonna face a tough reality that they are easily replaceable and it's exactly the job- to - job guys that will suffer the most.

20. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really hope they get to some kind of agreement. They deserve more than what they've been getting.