Gamera

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Lumpy, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    so, i need to start watching gamera...but where should i start? at the begining and just try to watch them all? or should i pick and choose just the best few movies?

2. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the original Gamera series or the second Gamera series? I would recommend starting with "Gamera, Guardian of the Universe", "Gamera: Advent of Legion" and "Gamera 3: Incomplete Struggle" The classic Gamera flicks are fun, but without a certain nostalgia are not so good.
    Check out the Shrine of Gamera.
    http://www.shrineofgamera.com/gamera.html

I have not gotten to see "Gamera, The Little Braves" and don't know what it'll be called in the US DVD release. But I know the villian monster is pretty awesome. You may want to check that out too.

3. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    DEFINATELY watch the ones that Xabungle mentioned. They're all the best Kaiju flicks I've ever seen (next to Cloverfield that is). Awesome effects too.

4. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I would personally rate the Heisei Gamera movies far higher than Cloverfield :p . The figure effects and perspective scaling in three is also probably the best EVER done in a giant monster movie, even when put up against those using pure CG (GINO ... I'm looking at you...).

There's a boxed set of the three movies, and you should def. look into picking it up... if you're looking into seeing a Gamera movie, you may as well get all three in one go, since after you see one, you'll definitely want the other two.

EDIT: Wow, it looks like it's actually gotten pretty hard to find the trilogy collection box. I remember seeing it in best buy for $19 for ages. Well... if you can find it, I'd say it's worth it, still.

5. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Just my own opinion.;) 

6. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    How dare you have an opinion on the internet!

Oh, and here's the boxset from a reliable source:
    http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/jEzLI4vm1Zz2SxkSeW/browse/item/63625/4/0/0

Get it while it's hot!

Edit: or get just the first movie (the weakest, admittedly, of the three) and an artbox for a measly $6
    http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/jEzLI4vm1Zz2SxkSeW/browse/item/58899/4/0/0

The other two movies bump the cost up though if you want to get them afterwards:
    http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/jEzLI4vm1Zz2SxkSeW/browse/item/59304/4/0/0
    http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/jEzLI4vm1Zz2SxkSeW/browse/item/59590/4/0/0

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Hmm...

Of the original trilogy you can watch any of them in any order.
    There is a loose continuity, but it doesn't matter.

The 90's trilogy: each movie kind of stands on its own, but the whole story is so much more enjoyable when you consider them as chapters in a book and watch them in order.

It is a great trilogy. The effects are quite good with the right mix of CG and "suitmation". And, it is not painfully obvious when they switch techniques. And as mentioned above the scaling perspective is genius.

The 2006 reboot of Gamera is available on Amazon but apparently there is no English track on the DVD. (?)

8. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    As someone who sat through all the original Gamera Movies, but hasnt managed to see the newer ones yet, I would say see the newer ones first.

I would rank Gamera vs Zigra as one of the worst Kaiju movies I have ever seen (shared with Godzilla's Revenge, Frankenstein conquers the World and Godzilla vs Megalon).

Sucks that Gamera and Godzilla flicks never get released over here. Kind of makes it a big letdown if you have to watch them in B&W (except for Godzilla (1954) and Godzilla raids again).

If you do end up watching some of the original Gamera flicks, try to go with the MST3K Versions, that was the only way I could make it through them.

9. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Gamera is really neat, he is full of turtle meat, we've been eating Gamera!

10. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  11. Shokara

Shokara Well-Known Member

Personally I prefer to educate the one who asks and then let them form their own opinions on what they should pursue rather than just give my own opinions. There are twelve Gamera movies in total so far. The original classic series (1965 - 1980, also known as the Showa Era series) is primarily geared towards kids with most of the movies' lead characters being children that know what most adults don't know; Gamera is a heroic giant monster that saves the world from evil monsters. The series has a loose continuity, and was created by Daiei Motion Picture Company, Ltd. as competition in the box office against Toho Company, Ltd.'s then successful Godzilla series. The classic Gamera series will soon be available in the USA officially from Shout! Factory. You can see my other message board post here for further details.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/movie...s-coming-dvd-north-america-shout-factory.html

1965.) "Daikaiju Gamera" (Giant Monster Gamera). The movie was released theatrically in America by World Entertainment Corp. and Harris Associates, Inc. as "Gammera, the Invincible", and much like the original Godzilla movie, it was heavily re-edited with American actors spliced into the film. It was re-acquired in the USA in the mid '80s by Sandy Frank Prod. for television and video and retitled as simply "Gamera." It was a simple English dubbing of the original Japanese version, containing none of the edits of the American theatrical release.

1966.) "Daikaiju Kettou: Gamera tai Barugon" (Giant Monster Duel: Gamera vs. Barugon); The movie was first released directly to American television by American International Pictures as "War of the Monsters." It was re-acquired in the mid '80s by Sandy Frank Prod. for television and video and retitled as simply "Gamera vs. Barugon."

1967.) "Daikaiju Kuchu Kessen: Gamera tai Gyaos" (Giant Monster Midair Battle: Gamera vs. Gyaos); The movie was first released directly to American television by American International Pictures as "Return of the Giant Monsters." It was re-acquired in the mid '80s by Sandy Frank Prod. for television and video and retitled as simply "Gamera vs. Gaos."

1968.) "Gamera tai Uchu Kaiju Viras" (Gamera vs. Space Monster Viras); The movie was released directly to American television by American International Pictures as "Destroy All Planets."

1969.) "Gamera tai Daiakuju Guiron" (Gamera vs. Giant Evil Monster Guiron); The movie was first released directly to American television by American International Pictures as "Attack of the Monsters." It was re-acquired in the mid '80s by Sandy Frank Prod. for television and video and retitled as simply "Gamera vs. Guiron."

1970.) "Gamera tai Daimaju Jiger" (Gamera vs. Giant Demon Monster Jiger); The movie was released directly to American television by American International Pictures as "Gamera vs. Monster X."

1971.) "Gamera tai Shinkai Kaiju Zigra" (Gamera vs. Deep Sea Monster Zigra); The movie was released directly to American television and video by Sandy Frank Prod. as simply "Gamera vs. Zigra."

1980.) "Uchu Kaiju Gamera" (Space Monster Gamera); The movie was released directly to American television by Filmways Pictures as "Gamera: Super Monster."

Beginning in 1995, Daiei Motion Picture Company Ltd. revived the Gamera series with a trilogy of movies. Rather than being targeted to kids, though, these movies were handled in a more straight and intense manner similar to most of the Godzilla series. As for its availability in the USA it was released on DVD years ago by ADV, but unfortunately it has since gone out of print. Some remaining copies of the trilogy box set on Amazon.com have gone anywhere from $65 to $100.

1995.) "Gamera: Daikaiju Kuchu Kessen" (Gamera: Giant Monster Midair Battle); The movie was released in limited fashion in the USA theatrically and later on cable television and video by ADV as "Gamera: The Guardian of the Universe."

1996.) "Gamera 2: Legion Shurai" (Gamera 2: Attack of the Legion); The movie was released directly to DVD in the USA by ADV.

1999.) "Gamera 3: Iris Kakusei" (Gamera 3: Awakening of Iris); The movie was released directly to DVD in the USA by ADV as "Gamera 3: The Revenge of Iris."

Since then, the remaining assets of Daiei Motion Picture Company, Ltd. were sold to the Japanese publishing giant Kadokawa, and the studio was reconfigured as Kadokawa Pictures. In 2006, Kadokawa Pictures made another attempt at reviving the Gamera series, making a new movie that was once again geared to child audiences, but failure at the box office has shelved the series for the time being.

2006.) "Chisaki Yusha Tachi: Gamera" (The Little Braves: Gamera); The movie was released directly to DVD in the USA by Media Blasters under their Tokyo Shock label as "Gamera, the Brave." As of this writing the DVD is still currently in print.

I hope this has been very informative and will help you in your decision making. Remember that the classic Gamera movies will soon begin rolling onto DVD in official authorized fashion in the USA starting May 18th, 2010.

12. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Only seen bits of the Showa era Gamera films, but the Heisei Gamera trilogy are without a doubt my favourite kaiju movies, especially Guardian of the Universe.

Gamera the Brave was great too. More on the cute side, but great nonetheless.

I heard about this. Epic win.

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Shout! Factory is going to have everything I could possibly want on DVD, if they keep going at this rate.

I had to really hunt for Gamera vs. Barugon. Ended up finding it at a closing sale for a local video store.

14. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    thanks for the info Shokara... i had forgot i even made this thread... it just turned 2 last week!

15. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    They grow up so fast, don't they?:cry 

16. WWMEGATRON

WWMEGATRON Well-Known Member

Watch the 90's films, or commonly known as Heisei era!! They are decent & Gamera finally has his true potential:) 

17. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

Like everybody has said, the Heisei movies. Fantastic. And also check out Mr. Kaneko's contriubution to the Godzilla series: Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack.

On a side note:

Gamera is really neat
    He is filled with TURTLE MEAT!
    We all love you Gamera!

LOL! "This video has been removed due to terms of use violation." Bestest ting EVAR!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  18. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I was lucky enough to attend the US premier of Gamera 3. Director Kaneko was there for a Q & A afterwards. The effects director of the american Godzilla movie was also present in the audience, for what must've certainly been a humbling experience.

It's still the best Kaiju movie ever.

19. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

I really wish the folks with rights would allow the Gamera 4 fanfilm to get to DVD or something.