Gamer

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Orion_Prime48, May 22, 2009.

1. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
  2. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    Hmm, interesting premise, despite its obvious ties to The Running Man (and several other similar plots) this seems like an entertaining take. The thing that bugged me most about the trailer was John Leguizamo's line, which itself was pretty cliche, but the delivery made me cringe.

3. inferno4565

inferno4565 Master of Mudkips

Michael C. Hall as the villan? Not bad. Looks alright.

4. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Wow, this thread is short and old. I just watched this on Netflix for the fist time. It was pretty good, and went much further than I expected as far as plot goes. Anybody else catch this?

5. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

It's garbage. It foists a ludicrous premise on us and then doesn't have the guts to follow through. It also tries to eat its cake and have it, too.

Really, look at it for a moment. The society in this film condones what are, in essence, crimes against humanity. There is a small "revolutionary" group, but the whole of this society is absolutely okay with bloodsports (with contestants who can't even control their own bodies) and sanctioned sex slavery. "Consent" is a rough excuse when people have little other choice than to starve.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Simon is a murderer. He has, by proxy, happily butchered other human beings for a game and prizes. He is a monster and a sociopath.

But then the film tries to turn around and make Ken Castle "the villain" because he has plans beyond the carnival or horrors he already heads up. Ken's being conquer-happy in no way exonerates Simon or his society from the monstrous acts they happily allowed and participated in. Are we to imagine that Ken's death will somehow end that staggering devaluation of life and freedom that society is totally okay with? Bullshit.

That isn't even a particularly deep analysis. That's all on the surface.

Frankly, I'd be more amused to have seen a film like this as a slapstick comedy, with the controlled players acting like you see in real games; bunny-hopping, circle-strafing, tea-bagging zaniness.

- Coeloptera