Game of Thrones - A Song of Ice and Fire for TV!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by adamthered, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    While Martin isn't the most talented writer, it's pretty obvious that the Dire Wolves are tied directly to the fate of House Stark. Ghost, Summer, Shaggy, and Nymeria will likely play a role in the last two books, hence why the final title was originally called A Time for Wolves, before plot bloat forced him to add a seventh title.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

My wife said before we sat down to watch the finale, "I don't even look forward to watching this show anymore. It's more like, 'alright, let's get this shit-show over with.'"

Pretty much.

I'll echo Kit Harrington's original summation of the finale: Disappointing

First, I want to say the actors worked well with what they were given. Though Drogon once again comes off as the best actor on screen, save Tyrion's eyebrows. The special effects were good, again. Great imagery with the Reich meeting Danny held to tell her troops they should start wearing swastikas. But the script? The actual plot? The characters? Broken beyond all belief, like most of this season.

Case in point, that stupid Dragon Pit meeting. Tyrion is brought before the Great Royal Some People We Know and Some We Don't Group to stand trial for actions against the person most of the people on the actual council wanted dead. Fine, whatever. He tries to speak and the Unsullied most likely to need a diaper change tells him to STFU because he should STFU. So Tyrion goes, "'K. Oh, Bran should be king."

And everybody just goes, "yup."

What a royal FU to anybody that cares about plot, intrigue, character or anything resembling giving a shit about the story. The Ds made it clear that they wanted this to be done and they didn't give a flying eff how they got there. Why HBO allowed this to happen is beyond me.

BTW, that ending was WAY too happy if you ask me. That's not a believable end in a world that was built on destroying characters you loved in satisfactory ways.

All of the questions, prophecies, and political agendas died without resolution. Character arcs disappeared in a puff of stupid. Just, what a waste.

In the end, nothing mattered. None of it. The prequels/sequels they are already planning? I'm out. I won't so much as watch a trailer for them. HBO has destroyed any potential the GoT television universe to hold my interest. We're giving away the box sets we've already bought, and won't buy this season set. And neither my wife nor I are interested in anything else centered on this universe unless the books come out. The books still hold promise. The television shows are dead, killed by maliciously terrible writing by people that were too eager to move on to the next job.

The actors themselves were disappointed before the season aired. Now that fans are expressing their disappointment, they're spouting off about what shits we are? That's uproariously funny. I wonder if they're being guided by HBO or publicists?

In the end, at least we can say, "At last our watch has ended." Goodbye Game of Thrones. For all your promises were empty lies.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

...and what does he do with his position? Stress the importance of brothels. :rolleyes: 

BTW, I hate you all for making me see this:

[​IMG]

...and now, you're ALL going to see it! :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm free! I'm finally free! Grrm can't hurt me anymore! Unless he changes the endings in the books, I guess, but fat chance he ever finishes those!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    The ammount of rage ppl show for season 8 and some episodes.. is amazingly funny.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Old Git

News Credits:
    Edmure Tully - got married at the red wedding then was held by house frey until he was used by jaime lannister to gain control of riverrun when the blackfish was holding it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I think this show dropped the ball hard, but I do think it is hyperbole to call it the worst series finale ever for a once great show. “Dexter” will always hold that title in my mind.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Yeah, speaking as a former avid D&D player back in my youth, it weirds me out too to see Weiss and Benioff referred to as such.

To answer your question, the incompetent lord who spoke at the Greatmoot (I think that's what that king election gathering was called) is Edmure Tully, younger brother of Catelyn Stark and now lord of Riverrun (he had the trout symbols on his collar).

He was the same doofus who kept missing his flaming arrow shots when trying to light his father's floating funeral pyre, forcing his uncle The Blackfish to grab his bow angrily and then hit it easily with one shot. (I'm still a bit annoyed that the show killed off Blackfish off screen. In the books, he's still alive AFAIK.)

Also the same moron who was being married to one of Walder Frey's many daughters and captured as a hostage at the Red Wedding. The guy was always the derp of the family, being the youngest child compared to Catelyn and Lysa. So Edmure is the uncle to the Stark kids and to "Sweet" Robyn Arryn, lord of the Eyrie and Vale.

Speaking of which, Robyn got big! It's funny that even he didn't support his uncle Edmure's claim to the throne when he tried to nominate himself. :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  9. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    TBF, that wasn't at all his fault. He was being forced to clean up Rob's mistake despite his own wishes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    In actuality investing in brothels would not be a bad move; those would be a revenue maker

• Like Like x 1
  11. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    There was plenty of blame/derp to go around leading up to the Red Wedding, true, between Robb's decision to wed Talisa instead and reneging on Frey's proposed alliance by marriage, and Cat taking Tyrion hostage which kicked off the War of the Five Kings.

I did miss all the morally gray, complex stuff of the earlier novels and seasons compared to what we got in season 8's rush-to-the-finish-line wrap up.

Still, Edmure is hapless when he's not being incompetent. It's just part of his character.
    Not that it would be a bad idea, it's just that the humorous way that the council scene played out felt wrong to a lot of folks, myself included. Playing the past events off for cheap laughs despite the thousands of deaths and vast destruction wreaked upon Westeros was tonally weird as one of the last scenes in the final episode. If it had taken place in any other season, I think it would've been fine (who doesn't love Bronn and Tyrion together with Brienne thrown in for good measure) but here, it was just jarring, I think.

12. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

In a universe that doesn’t have access to Playboy or the Internet, you’re probably right.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Well, that's what you heathens get for not moving over to Pathfinder. ;) 

14. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    You may pry my 3.5 source books from my cold, Cheeto dusted fingers :p 

• Like Like x 2
  15. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Finally someone else who made that connection. Jon, Bron Tyrion are all people who never desired power which is why they were best suited to wield it without becoming tyrants. Dany had good intentions maybe but she was raised by people telling her the throne was her destiny, and she always believed since she got the dragons that she had a divine mandate to validate her actions, no matter how horrible.
    And yes, loved the dragon wings shot, it was amazing.

I read all the Pathfinder books, even some novels, and collect the minis too... And it is an interesting world, sure, but just not as well built up as the Realms or the Great Wheel. Not when they invent new outsider races every few bestiaries (Oni and Rakshasas are a whole groups of various species now like Angels or Demons) and cram them into the existing structure. Coupled with the silly need to put cryptids and horror monsters into the world (kytons are now Hellraiser's Cenobites, we have Chupacabras, Mothmen, Greys, even Jason) and it is a sort of hodgepodge.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  16. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:

17. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Had he been so important I'd, I dunno, actually REMEMBER him. I am sorry but who the heck is Young Griff? Was he in the books? One of those "appeared 4 seasons ago for 2 minutes and never brought up again" characters?

18. Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Could Young Griff’s Book Plot Forecast the ‘Game of Thrones’ TV Endgame?

>(Supposed) Targaryen about to take Kings Landing.

Yeah, I think that he's important .

• Like Like x 1
  19. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't have minded the the last 2 seasons so much , if they pulled a bait and switch that Bran was the true threat, the repository of memories was kind of a lame reason for the NK to go out of his way to kill him, more like the full extent of his powerd could give him trouble. Drogon torching KL ,John stuck like Hodor or only saying 2 lines, or more importantly people voting a robot who stares all day as king with no issue. Actually if you knew someone had the ability to see the future or the past and know everyone's secrets, you'd either put him down or exile him far away, the last thing superstitious, medieval people would do is make him king.

20. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Umm, Grey Worm was like that. WAS. Then a woman who loved him taught him he can be more and can live a full life. He started to change, no longer be a war machine. Then all that was taken away from him in an instant.
    ... Damn right he is hungry for revenge at the whole world now. Who wouldn't be?

I am sorry but you are referring some spinoff book.
    Was he ever in the TV show in the past 7 seasons? If not, why did you expect a deus ex machina?