Game of Thrones - A Song of Ice and Fire for TV!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by adamthered, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Drangleic

Drangleic Insult to injury

No way it's that bad. You exaggerate. Sounds like we're in agreement over the prequels but not over this.

And D&D has to be able to do better than the new trilogy. Shit, I even feel like the prequels are better than those.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Killamarshan

Killamarshan Iacon Tourist

While Dany is getting all the attention Varys joined Littlefinger in going out like a chump and the Northerners turned out as bad as the Lannisters by echoing their crimes from Robert's Rebellion. "The North remembers" - how to be scumbags.

For what the show is now I enjoyed the episode. The scenes with Jaime/Tyrion, Tyrion/Varys, Jaime/Cersie were flashes of how good the show could be, and as fan servicey as it was Clegane Bowl was a beautifully shot bit of no stakes fun.

Just one episode left, the finish line in sight.

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Writing of Tryion has been the real crime in all of this. He was once the little man with the largest brain and balls to match. Now he's just a little man.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Killamarshan

Killamarshan Iacon Tourist

If you're looking for a drunken game of truth or dare, bad strategic advice or some basic monarch betrayal Tyrion's your dwarf.

Tyrion hasn't been written this well since season 4, which is an indictment in itself. The scenes he had with his family members back then, particularly Tywin, were so good.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Drangleic

Plus all the shit he's been through changes a person. He's been through some crazy shit.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd say those are all more 'clever' callbacks than signs proving anything has been planned out for a long time. I mean, typically EVERY last season/episode/movie in a series pulls out nonstop references to earlier installments specifically TO make it look like there's always been a grand plan of some sort.

Having said that, I do think - and I assume most people would agree - that GRRM definitely had an endpoint in mind from day one. My assumption is that the second the show went off book, GRRM told the writers that "Characters X, Y & Z all end up here, here & here" in terms of their story conclusions. The disconnect, however, is HOW those characters get to those endpoints according to the show writers vs. what undoubtedly would have been far more interesting and just better writing from GRRM himself.

For example, maybe Jaimie & Cersei were always going to die together "in each other's arms" and all that, but I'd bet everything I own that Cersei would have done a shit ton more Cersei'ing in her final days & hours than just stand around for weeks doing nothing except build a few bigger dragon crossbows, wait patiently for it somehow all to just work out when the war comes to her doorstep, and then just run downstairs crying in fear once her had-no-plan-whatsoever went to hell. Same for Dany's transition from wannabe liberator to full tilt people-burning mass murdering villain that would have undoubtedly taken a bit longer than two facial expressions and 5 minutes of sitting on a wall. Etc etc etc so on & so forth.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I don’t know how GRRM does it, but I know most good writers generally start out with a beginning and an end in mind. The middle is the bulk of the work since you want to show how those two points in the story connect. It only makes sense. You want your characters to start out in one place, and then end up in a different place by the end of the story after undergoing various trials and tribulations. Knowing that, I’d say your theory is pretty accurate.

• Like Like x 1
  8. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

/everyone in the show.

9. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Feeling nostalgic with Cersei. I really liked this scene.

D6Uy95WXkAALd6c.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Ahhhhhhahahahahahahaha I am so close to being free of this franchise.

11. Drangleic

Yeah, no shit. And they've all mostly changed. Every single one of them.

12. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

You know, there's a serious divisiveness in the GoT fandom over the past few weeks. There's those happy with the spectacle that don't care much about the story or characters. There's those happy that the characters are finding their logical end-points. There are those upset that some of their favorites are turning against their nature. And then there are those that enjoyed the early seasons because the journey was so intricate, so important, and the character depth and story were so much more than just spectacle.

Now it's point to point with no connecting tissue. All bones, so meat. What was Jamie's entire arc? Growth away from being Cersei's lapdog. Brienne? Well, those two stories are both ruined by rushing Jamie's turn back to Cersei without any logic at all to it. Jamie's honor gets flushed down the toilet along with Brienne's dignity, and toddling back to Cersei he goes.

Some of us knew perfectly well that Danny's story was bound to end tragically, and were prepared for it. What we weren't prepared for is watching her gain everything she ever wanted, the throne was hers, the bells had rung (despite the show itself saying previously that ringing bells never mean surrender, we'll go with it 'cause why not), the battle was over. She looks at the red keep, and the logical thing to do even if the rage set in then, would be to go kill Cersei. But nah, she needs to go full mad right as she's on the precipice of finally achieving her goal just because. *BOOM* No reasoning, no slow descent, just, "I will free the world from tyranny," straight to burning the innocents because that's where the show runners knew she ended up.

Arya having literal buildings falling on her, then just getting up, brushing off and continuing to run is starting to get a little more than silly.

The show has devolved into something where literally NOTHING matters. Who cares who wins the throne? No character save maybe Sandor completed the actual journey they set out on in a satisfactory way. Wait, maybe Quyburn. That was pretty satisfying. But we're now at a point where morbid curiosity keeps me interested, rather than engagement, because the plot is non-existent and the characters have ceased to remain believable and consistent. Even the turns you KNOW are coming flash up out of nowhere rather than developing naturally.

I hope George finishes the books at some point. And I hope those disappointed by the show will be willing to give them a chance if he does. I know I've heard a few long-term fans, from long before the show existed, say they're planning on throwing out their season sets AND all their book copies after this season is done because the show has angered them so. I'm not at that point at all. I'm more dismayed by how little the show runners care than I am angry. And even more dismayed that HBO let this season turn out the way it has.

Here's to next week. And the hope the Ds don't finish off the juggernaut that is Star Wars as well.

• Like Like x 1
  13. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I think we should call them the "Double D's"

• Like Like x 1
  14. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm personally more interested in this now...

Game of Thrones: The Last Watch
    May 26, 2019

Taking a closer look at the Belfast-filming of the Season 8 final episodes, in "...a farewell to 'Westeros' with the people who built the realm...":

[​IMG]

Terrible final season or not, I always find BTS documentaries like this fascinating. I love to see all the hard work put into these kinds epic productions.

• Like Like x 2
  15. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

Mate I’m really sorry if you took it seriously but it was just a joke.

16. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I was feeling that Tyrion had lost his edge, his cunning because of his poor decisions and difficulty standing up to Dany. But now I kinda think he’s given up. He bet on the wrong horse, there’s no more horses left and really, it’s gonna come down to “i might get cooked any day now.”

That’s sad and somewhat disappointing but everyone gets a sad ending, why shouldn’t Tyrion get one too. He’s outlived everyone in his wretched family, proved his loyalty and nobility to Sansa and Dany and his story will end with the understanding that power is terrible and maybe he was lucky he never had much of it.

• Like Like x 3
  17. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

Read in interesting thread on twitter. Basically went into the different styles of writing and how it’s very prevalent who does what when you compare the GRRM episodes to the stuff that came afterwards.
    “Plotters”, and “Planters”. GRRM is a planter, he just writes away and goes with the flow (with a very loose goal), which lends to really great characters and moments. Some of my favourite moments of this series have been on the road between goals, for example- character pieces that just give us a more fleshed out individual.
    When the books ended, GRRM gave D&D the eventual end points for the characters he had in mind, and it was then their job to get them there- they plot the whole thing out. Which is why characters became a little more stiff and just like the moved the plot along etc. Probably why they all unlocked fast travel as well.

Just interesting. I compare it to myself in my work, I’m a bit of a plotter when it comes to writing but then my art is planter, I don’t mind changing stuff up to fit a better visual on the page etc.

• Like Like x 1
  18. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  19. RondoCalrissian

RondoCalrissian Well-Known Member

20. Drangleic

Definitely down to watch it.