Game of Thrones - A Song of Ice and Fire for TV!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by adamthered, Mar 3, 2010.

1. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    Well... apparently, Cersei DID listen to her father for 40 years!

Whoa. How things change in one episode.... and can't say I liked it.

Jon left Sansa in charge and Littlefinger was salivating. :drool: 

I hope both he and Theon go out together. Maybe Arya or even Nymeria will help with that.

Poor Theon tho... he had a Reek flashback and abandoned ship.. literally.

Euron... "Give your Uncle a kiss!" Best line I've heard in this series in a long time. :lolol 

Dani's not going to like how the winds have changed...... maybe Jon will brighten her day.

2. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    So who is the mole?

3. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Oh man, so much colliding!

Jon and Dani meeting was truly something to behold.

Bran is finally home, but when we will he reveal everything??? And all the while Littlefinger is whispering in Sansa's ear... :mad 

Cersei scores another win, all the while drifting deeper into madness.

And two more characters bite the dust, the last Sand Snake(or is going to at least) and Olenna Tyrell.

The Lannister's may be all confident now, but just wait until the army of the dead is on their front door step! See if they're still smirking then!

4. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not one of those rah rah, yell at the TV people, but their meeting was even better than I could dream:lol 

5. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

Nice episode!

Looks likes Cersei experience is helping her with the war so far.

6. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    They certainly did employ some impressive and well thought out strategy in this episode, which really did a number on Dany's battle plans. It will be interesting to see how she adjusts, although I think it's pretty obvious that she is going to have to rely on Jon, which was a given,

Getting to see Casterly Rock and Highgarden for the first time really was a treat. I'd like them to spend more time there rather than the same old places, but with so much going on elsewhere, I doubt they will go back.

It was an enjoyable episode, but not as good as the first two in my opinion.

7. Killamarshan

Killamarshan Iacon Tourist

I really enjoyed Tyrion this episode, it was like he was back to being Tyrion - his interactions with Jon were great. But Tyrion has proven he's no military strategist, maybe Jorah can offer better counsel now he's been scraped. Olenna and Cersie also did what they do best in their respective scenes.

With the all knowing Bran back at Winterfell hooked up to the Godswood you have to think Littlefinger's days are numbered, and about time too because he feels like a third thumb, his character has run his race. "Hey Sansa, Lord Royce - Baelish started the War of the Five Kings, Killed his liege lord, his widow, betrayed my father and wants to be king - kindly remove his head".

Dany was only hostile because Jon refused to bow to her, considering he's now a King and their families' history it was always going to be a problem. The Tyrells and Martell's were Targaryen loyalists during Robert's rebellion, they would have had no issue pledging House fealty to Dany.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    FYI, according to the show runners, the "that's not you" bit with Arya a while back was a call back to when Ned discussed her possible future as a proper lady, and she said "that's not me." In other words, it wasn't that Nymeria is no longer connected to Arya, but that it was Arya realizing that she wasn't just a pet to come back with her.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Raiju

Raiju Oh, thank heaven for 7-11! Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Pretty good episode. I happen to think that Tyrion is a brilliant tactician. After all, he won the Battle of Blackwater thanks in no small part to his ingenious use of wildfire, and the Battle of Casterly Rock was also won by Dany's forces, again, thanks to his knowledge of the secret sewer tunnels. However, Tyrion fails as a strategist since I think he doesn't really consider the big picture and did allow his pride to play a large factor in him wanting Casterly Rock in the first place, and that Tywin only revealed to Cersei that the Rock had long since ran out of gold from its mines (enter the Iron Bank of Braavos). Tyrion is pretty much a "won many battles but lost the war" type of guy, similar to Robb Stark.

Still, I did have some problems with this ep, namely that Highgarden fell so easily to Lord Commander Jaime and the Lannister forces. A well fortified castle with manned defenses and plenty of food stocks (The Reach being both rich and the breadbasket of Westeros had plenty of money and grain) should have lasted a siege well into a year if not more. Instead, they fell within a fortnight (two weeks)? Just like Cersei predicted to the Iron Bank representative? How does that happen? I thought Highgarden falling was waaaaaaay too convenient for the sake of speeding the story along (since watching an entire season of a year-long siege does not make for compelling television) and to have Dany grow a little more desperate and force her to play nice with Jon Snow.

I figured that House Tarly and the other Reach houses might have betrayed the Tyrells and allowed Highgarden to fall but they didn't really show that outside of Jaime speaking with Randyll Tarly in the previous ep. Ah well.

At any rate, was nice to see Cersei's scheming and Tyrion's intereactions with Jon and Dany. Ser Davos, always a delight to watch too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Veritas Prime

Veritas Prime You're Not Alone

News Credits:
    Solid episode. I read some analysis this morning which stated that the Iron Bank never said they were invested in the slave trade but Cersei assumed they were even though the city of Braavos was founded on the abolition of slavery. Also I thought Casterly Rock would look much more like its book counterpart instead of what it ended up looking like in the show. Another thing is that I kinda expected Arya to make it back to Winterfell before Bran did. Favorite part has to be the concluding scenes with Olenna admitting to Jamie what she did after she drank the entire glass of wine plus the part where one of the dragons swoops down on Jon and Davos while Jon's saying he's not a Stark.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Great episode. Virtually everything that needs to be said already has been by others here, so I won't repeat it. I will say, though, that I really appreciated the comedy in this one. I was in stitches when Jon met Dany. After 20 minutes of being introduced with all her (eye roll) titles, then Davos just sort of awkwardly says "Uhh... and this is Jon Snow". Period. And then of course a lot of the dialogue between Tyrion and Jon... just perfect.

I'm also wondering how much longer Jaimie is going to keep tolerating being a little minion that is always getting demeaned. You can see something is building up inside him, and I'm starting to be convinced more than ever that HE will be a key component in taking down Cersei, if not the one who does it himself.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Old Git

News Credits:
    I also liked littlefinger telling Sansa that she has to see everything that has happened and is happening just before Bran shows up - ask and ye shall receive.

...Also the speed that people are travelling the length and width of the country is getting silly - how quickly did the iron islanders sail from kings landing, around the south of the continent and back up to Casterly rock!

13. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

I thought it would an episode or two before Jon and Davos got to meet Dany, but they were on the shores in the beginning of the episode.

Sansa and Bran's reunion was a bit anticlimactic. While she was happy to see him, he was apathetic because of his new role as the 3-eyed Raven, Wog or whatever he's called. As Ned Stark's pure-born son, he is the rightful lord of Winterfell, but he doesn't want the job. Anyway, I'm looking more forward to Arya's reunion, if that ever happens.

I'm waiting for the army of the dead to be shown ascending upon populated areas, but I suppose they'll save that for the final few episodes.

14. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wonder how many episodes are going to be dedicated to fighting the White Walkers. There aren't that many episodes left and still Cersei is the main looming threat. I'm hoping that season 7 ends with Cersei's downfall and that season 8 is nothing but the White Walkers and the Night King.

15. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably saw how Sansa told John, Rincon had to take that L and what he needed to be focusing on was taking back Winterfell. I think some of it is the weight he has on him now as he is privy to so much, he probably is numb to rest of the world. I still thinks she's going to do something stupid that's going to put her and John at odds.

As far as Lady Olenna that was kind of a jerk move, Jaime at least offered her a death befitting of her status, who knows what Cersi would have done to her. He should have told the old hag "Congratulations on being the last Tyrell". I know they need a human villian but honestly anyone who is someone in Kings Landing is a monster. All of them only care about themselves and their own and will sacrifice anyone else without pause or care.

16. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  17. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I'll admit, I'm not that well versed on the map, but yeah, it's like they've all got motorboats when it comes to sea travel.

I have three questions, which perhaps the books address, or may have been mentioned and I just missed it.

1. Who is running Dorne right now? What are their inclinations?

2. Well, this:

With what little we could see of High Garden, it seemed like a well designed castle. Unless they didn't close the gates, it should easily hold off an invading force for years with even a smallish army. There were multiple gates so even breaching the outer walls wouldn't have done it; in fact, from Jamie's walk and the distance shot, it looked like it was at least three tiered to get to the tower Lady Olenna was in.

So how the heck did they practically take it intact?

3. I was honestly expecting Euron to present the greyjoy sister (who's name escapes me at the moment) as well as the Sands to Cersei. Do we know why he didn't? (Other then to sadistically hold onto her for his own perverse delights?)

As an aside, part of me really wants to see Danny's face when she learns Jon's lineage. ;)  Part of me was also hoping that the Dragons would smell it on Jon and be friendly to him.

Regarding Tyrion, Tyrion is clever and comes up with clever tricks on a single battle level, but he's still not looking at the big picture and he's up against someone who knows that he's clever.

18. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

Yarra is a nobody to Cersei, she's just a usurper to the Salt Throne which Cersei has already conceded to Euron. She is much more valuable to him as a prisoner than she is to Cersei, so it makes sense that he would keep her as his own prisoner. I'd imagine that the real reason the show runners are keeping her alive is so that Theon could have one final redemption arc.

My main question is why didn't Sam tell Ser Jorah that his Father's dying wish was for him to take the Black? Unless I'm remembering the book and assuming it was in the show when Jeor Mormont died at Craster's, I'm pretty sure he told Sam directly to tell Jorah to take the Black, yet Sam never once mentioned it to him. I always thought that Ser Jorah's fate would be to end up on the Wall at some point, but it looks like he's going to go crawling back to Dany yet again.

19. gil

gil Godmaster

I'm just gonna ramble some random thoughts:

-They don't know how long to poison will take to kill the Sand Snake. I think Bronn get's back to King's Landing just in time to save the day. Credit TimeSynch for bringing him up earlier. And if it was any torture/death other than poison, I would have agreed with TimeSynch that Bronn wouldn't be able to help her out.

-Those stack of old papers that needed reprinting by Sam? I'm guessing Archmaester Slughorn handpicked them for Samwell and he's gonna learn a bunch from them. Do they know Velyrian Steel kill White Walkers? I know Jon killed with Longclaw, but did they connect the dots back then? If you look at Jon's forces, he has Longclaw, Sam has Heartsbane on him. Brianne of Tarth got Oathkeeper. And there's rumor's that the sword Meera took from the Children of the Forest is actually Dark Sister.

-Speaking of Meera, hope she joins the main group and not just become a background character. She did a lot, and deserves some recognition.

-Why the hell did Bran bring up Sansa's wedding night to Ramsey? Of all things!?!

-Damn, next episode is already the middle episode!

EDIT: More random thoughts

-I like how Jon brought up "ruling over a graveyard" which sounds like "queen of the ashes" and how Dany asked to not be judged by her father's actions, after Jon said the same about the Karstark and Umber kids.

• Like Like x 2
  20. gregles

gregles quintesson

The end of the last issue made me suspicious of there being a traitor in team Daenerys and the way in which they seemed to know Casterly Rock would be taken easily even though it's never been taken before so use it as bait suggests Cersai is either really clever to predict everything so accurately or Daenerys has a traitor informer in her small council which is getting even smaller with every episode. If this is the case Varys is doing a rubbish job as master of whispers.

Dothroki and unsullied both seem too obedient or proud to have one of their members be a spy informant and the rest are too dead or captured leaving only Varys, Tyrian and Missendei left.

I think they only said they didn't know how long the poison would take just to make it even more painful not knowing exactly when the final moment would be.

It was good to see Sansa handle leadership brilliantly thinking of all the sorts of practical and essential things that most of the knight and warrior types are too macho to think about. It also seems like bran has sacrificed his empathy to become this all knowing three eyed Raven thing that might just be the only thing that could save everyone.

I like how the earlier seasons really made it seem like Daenerys had a dream team of virtually the whole cast and taking the throne nearly a done deal and then the people of westeros would be in a good position to defend against the walkers which would have been nice but rubbish for the show having drama and the later seasons would probably end up being derided and ridiculed for going soft but thankfully for us now those plans have been well and truly damaged.

It would be pretty tragic if Daenerys has doomed everyone by going about war the ethical way wanting to not be seen to be murdering a few thousand inocent people for power. I'm calling it now, Game of Thrones will have an incredibly tragic unhappy ending with not much left alive to fight the dead after the clash of queens and that line when Ramsay said "if you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention" will be pretty prothetic of how it all ends.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017