Game Awards 2020

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Scarlet knight, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    While I too wished they revealed something, I can totally understand them not wanting to do it there.

2. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Their website says fan vote counts for 10% of the total. Game journalists, etc are the other 90%. So, yes, it's a circle jerk.

• Like Like x 9
  3. SuperTitanHans

SuperTitanHans Upgraded

News Credits:
    As it should be. There’s nothing stopping 4chan from starting its own game awards.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

And according to Jeff Grub, most of the places haven't even played the games.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Because of Final Fantasy 7 Remake making Sepiroth a higher profile figure in gaming this year than he's been in a long time. As well as giving Cloud his arch nemesis since that's kind of a running theme, such that it was a big emphasis for the King K.Rool reveal trailer.

Thus, apparently all video games should aspire to is being Oscar Bait, because the opinions of people who actually buy the games as consumers don't matter?

• Like Like x 3
  6. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The score doesn't determine the quality of the game though.

I haven't played... well any of those games yet, but from what I hear TLoU2's story telling is as engaging and tragic as it was with the first game, which means it is better than all of those except maybe Ghost of Tsushima.

For the options, I can see why they chose TLOU2.

I'm just glad they didn't ride the FFVII train, though that could be because the story isn't completed. I bet once the final chapter comes out in 2038 it'll sweep that year's game awards.

7. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

So horribly predictable and cliche?

• Like Like x 4
  8. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    Is that the confirmed release date?

9. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tell me a story these days that isn't predictable. It's not guessing right what is going to happen that matters, but how it plays out. People need to start understanding that everything has been told. Most of it was told back when the five seasons of The Twilight Zone aired.

:lol 

10. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So why even bother giving fans a vote at all if their voice is only weighted at 10%. It should be 50/50. Who's to stop someone like Naughty Dog from being top dollar lobbyists on behalf of their game.
    Also TLoU 2 was met with much scorn from gamers and to have it win seven awards throws doubt to the legitimacy to The Game Awards.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  11. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Banned

News Credits:

• Like Like x 3
  12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    The plot of Metal Gear Solid.

Or, D2 for the Dreamcast. Which is legitimately even more insane than Metal Gear Solid

• Like Like x 3
  13. Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Why are you being sexist against Nova?
    >Everyone who disagrees with me posts on 4chan.
    original.gif

• Like Like x 3
  14. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Banned

News Credits:

15. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Sad Derpfester Noises

News Credits:
    So TLoU2 seriously won......seriously......it didn't even live up to the hype. The story was just average compared to the first. It seriously didn't do itself any favors thrusting a character a lot of us didn't give a shit about. That last bit is heavily opinionated, but it was just not that great of a sequel. As much as I loved DOOM Eternal, I just feel Ghost of Tsushima should have won. I've heard and seen the things that game accomplished.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    So, you just have a problem with women who disagree with your opinion? How... patriarchal of you.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Hellbot

Hellbot Well-Known Member

Sorry, but this entire comment makes little sense. You admit to not having played the games then claim TLoU2's awards are justified and that it is better than the other nominees based on thing's you've heard? Why does it feel like this is exactly how the voting played out? A bunch of people who never actually played these games handing out awards on things they have little to no experience with.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  18. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Or me from starting my own.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

My wife and I have watched the game awards for two reasons the last few years: announcements and the cringe of all the presenters who just do not come off well on television.

Be it they may not be on a camera all the time or they don't know how to act when it is not their channel, to a simple "hey read this its for a things your doing" and the person reading clearly is just not caring it's always an interesting train wreck.

As for the awards themselves. meh from the lot of GOTY things I saw I had not played two (animal crossing and ghosts) but I thought the best game was FFVII, is it a remake? Of course it is but it in my opinion did a lot new or added something that always kept me going just a bit longer.

The last of us though? I'll be honest, I thought some narrative choices (not content execution) were handled badly but I enjoyed it overall but I felt like it didn't do anything new in game play, it was just a few things at most and that was that. All the talk of the AI and the dogs did not really alter things as dramatically as they said they would.

As for doom, look when the last two levels feel like your doing an 8 hour shift of work, that's not fun anymore that's just getting the job done so you can move to the next thing.

But, I don't take these types of things seriously, cool pat yourselves on the back industry X, you guys do you and I use reviews as a informational opinion, its my money I make the final choice.

• Like Like x 1
  20. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    So early on I said Last of Us Part 2 was my favorite of the bunch. I’ll follow Edge and give my opinion on the games that I have played. So there will be no Hades opinions since I never played it and I don’t like judging things until I have tried it.

Animal Crossing New Horizons: So this is my first Animal Crossing game. My girlfriend got me into it. This is my 2nd favorite game of the year. In a year so crummy this was a bright spot. It was a fun social experience. Out of all of the games this one has the most hours invested into it.

Final Fantasy 7 : It has the same issue as The Hobbit movies. It just dragged on for to long. To much padding out. So many wall slides that take forever that are there to add time. It’s beautiful and fun but it also kinda just came and went for me. I anticipate the complete experience but to me the original FF7 is the superior game. The remake is a nice companion piece to the original.

Doom Eternal : Doom 2016 was the better game. Doom to me should be rocking out to some awesome jams while shooting demons into bits of flesh. Doom Eternal added to much platforming because the Doom franchise is known for its platforming levels. Killing enemies became a chore. I just want to shoot a demon in the face. But in Eternal you have to kill them like each enemy is an individual puzzle.

Ghost of Tsushima : It’s fine, like maybe I have played way to many open world games. But nothing amazed me. Sucker Punch made a great Ubisoft game. The big standout is its themes. To me it’s just a standard safe open world game.

The Last of Us Part 2 : It’s not a game for everyone. Its story isn’t as good as the first but I still find the story to be above average for video games and as you can see I play a lot of video games. The Last of Us Part 2 is a ballsy game. It made choices that would piss off people, there is no denying that but I’m glad it did those things. None of the games above and me invested emotionally. Last of Us Part 2 is an emotional roller coaster. Despite getting the platinum trophy for this game is still want to experience it again. The Last of Us Part 2 is the best game for overall quality. The worst thing about it is it’s story.

Bonus thoughts! Half Life Alyx is probably better than all of these games. It’s sad that it was snubbed due to it being a VR game. It’s one of the most innovative experiences in gaming.

• Like Like x 2