Heavy/Scratch: Galaxy Guard Voltron Rebuild

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by JackKnife, Jan 9, 2017.

1. JackKnife

JackKnife Kitbashing Space Truck

It's been a while folks, but I've been busy! A couple of months ago, I bought a Voltron: The 3rd Dimension "galaxy Guard" Voltron Mini figure.

Why? Well...I don't have the money for a Matchbox or Trendmasters Diecast Voltron (still wrestling with neural and physical injuries) and money needs to go to bills and necessities. At any rate, since my camera ate the pic of this one before I modified it, I'm posting an ebay pic that shows what this looked like:

[​IMG]

(Pic courtesy of wamaam on Ebay)

In any event... the thing looked cruddy, especially the legs. it almost reminded me of either a penguin waddling or Charlie Chaplin in one of his comedies. Neither thought really appealed to me, and it upset me greatly...

...and ya know what happens when I get upset about something involving a model or toy I get...

...BREAK OUT THE TOOLS:

[​IMG]

The legs (both blue and yellow lions as well as Black lion's thighs) were lengthened using heavy foam-core blind slats, then covered with masking tape and repainted. Details for both lions were added in via sheet styrene and painted using acrylic paint. The Crest on the chest and the numbers were done up on Photoshop, clear-coated and glued into place:

[​IMG]

As best I could, I scraped down the face to remove what I could of the "doofus" look and also redid the eyes to make him look less like someone brained Voltron with a 2x4 while he wasn't looking. I also removed the original shoulder joints for red and green lions, replacing them with ball-joints for poseability. The non-functional elbows were also removed and replaced with swivel joints taken from Classics Bumblebee's knees.

(YES, his elbows are "the 'Bee's knees!" ROFL!)

[​IMG]

Ball joints were also added to the hips as well, allowing Voltron a bit more poseability and flexibility that the standard Galaxy Guard Mini figure allowed.

Voltron also lacked Blazing Sword and the Laser Blade Shield (they were not included, as this was bought loose from a collectibles shop), so I scratched them up out of 1/8 inch styrene and painted them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I included the wrist guard on the sword, which was simply sheet styrene that was heated, bent and then glued and painted into place.

Rear view:

[​IMG]

I had to make a few concessions on this build, as the knee joints were set in deeply, but the lions were still rather short and the thighs too long. Instead, I simply built the rear of both lions up a bit.

After modifications, Voltron had grown by over an inch, and is a bit taller than even the mini Matchbox version:

[​IMG]

So now he stands alongside my KO Vehicle Voltron, and both of those guard my replica of the Castle of Lions (Sorry, I know it's kinda crappy and all, and I'm not sure of the scale of the Voltrons to the Castle as it was built after my work on both of them, but I did my best):

[​IMG]

Yeah, the paint job on Lion Voltron is kinda iffy, but I'm working on it. At that scale, a little hard to get liens straight and all that.

Thanks for watching folks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Excellent work!

• Like Like x 1
  3. geekatron prime

geekatron prime Proud owner of HasLab Unicron

Pretty cool looking. Like how you added the articulation to him. :thumb 

• Like Like x 1
  4. JackKnife

JackKnife Kitbashing Space Truck

Thanks guys! The reason for the articulation on his figure is so I could do artwork for my Voltron Website (amongst other things).

An example:

[​IMG]