G2 packaging error w/pics...question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by maz25, Mar 18, 2015.

1. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Any collectors have a combiner with a packaging error similar to this? Any information or opinion on the rarity/collectable value/worthlessness is appreciated.

Edit...I am including comparison picture with my non-error Skydive. The error has the same datestamp on the figure, but the card definitely has subtle color differences and I don't think it is due to light exposure. Also, the UPC #s are different. I'll have to compare my G2 carded combiner collection another time for differences...too late tonight. I could not find much info on this subject.

Another edit, after checking the figure's cardbacks, the error card is slingshot on the back! Double packaging error. ANY info on anything comparable would be much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's an interesting type of package error, at least.

3. TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon Garbage Enthusiast

News Credits:
    Man, it seems like you've got a gem in your hands. Not that I'm an expert or anything.

4. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    sorry i can't help, but as far as packaging errors go, that's pretty awesome.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Packaging errors like this aren't really "valuable" in the typical collector's mindset. Packaging errors that hold value are the ones that have a wider distribution and are more more of a packaging variant than an "error." Targetmaster Hot Rod comes to mind here.

"Errors" tend to be more of a thing with trading card collectors and less with toy collectors, in a general sense.

6. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What Superquad7 said. Tho I'd like to make a comment about how I've seen a lot of packaging errors over the years, but that one is a first for me. Thanks for showing it.

7. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Even then, an error card has to have some sort of wide distribution. A single instance of an error would be viewed with skepticism. Not to say that's the case here.

G2 is rife with weird packaging errors so it's almost expected to see something odd every now and then.

8. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One off packaging errors like this tend to mean the figure is valued lower than one without the error. This is because it is generally viewed as an imperfection (in the same way as a fold in the card would be).

Packing errors are only really worth more if there is a larger run, but limited run. An example of this would be a backing card with a spelling mistake in the figure's name that then gets corrected in subsequent releases.

9. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks for the replies. Maybe to someone specifically collecting errors it would hold more value. Not that I am moving it. Its pretty cool to have something different in the collection. If anyone has an error similar feel free to share.

10. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    For me, packaging errors have the same "value" as errors with the figures themselves.

Is a figure that's missing paint operations worth more or less than a flawless figure?

Is a figure with two left hands worth more or less than a figure with one of each hand?

Etc.

It's an interesting error for the sake of curiosity, but that's it.

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    okay to most collectors this is likely of less value then a non error figure or at most the same value.

That said there are a small number of folks who collect package errors so this might be worth a but more to them.