G1 Vintage Reissue Astrotrain Released

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by engledogg, Dec 28, 2019.

1. deadgiveaway

deadgiveaway Well-Known Member

I agree, but at least he isn’t that dumb black and white this time. I’m in.

2. Lore Keeper

Lore Keeper Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I know people will point to inflation on this, but that just doesn't cover it. I did the math. The relative cost in 1985 would be $20.96. Astrotrain retailed for around $11.99. That's a 75% mark up. I honestly believe they're just pushing the envelope further and further to see how much people will pay for these.

Screenshot of 1985 toy catalog for reference:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  3. Mattymo

Mattymo Banned

News Credits:
    inflation is not always the case for price increase. The production for a toy 35 years ago is not the same as one now especially for a vintage toy with just going off inflation

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wyo

Wyo Well-Known Member

I will gladly pay it...just as I did multiples of the other reissues. It’s a cool piece of nostalgia and personal history and were lucky they even made this for us at this level of 80s detail. Those that don’t feel they should have to pay...vote with your wallet. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lore Keeper

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I know. I'm saying after inflation, it's still 3/4 more expensive. That is a large margin that I have a hard time believing is mostly beyond the manufacturer's control. To me, it seems more likely a case of taking the nostalgia audience for all they've got.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mattymo

Mattymo Banned

News Credits:
    thats business in general. The entire reason everything is to make money.

it is entirely possible after 35 years they had to go in and recreate mold for him which would increase costs. Throw in die cast and stickers and recreation of packaging, I’m gonna say it’s probably justified as a whole and plenty of people on here have said they want it so it’s obviously fine with folks

• Like Like x 2
  7. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Nice to get confirmation that it’s G1 toy colors. I don’t believe that scheme has ever been reissued, has it? So that’s good... even though an attainable E-Hobby-esque screen-accurate scheme would have been even better.

I’m glad it’s not the black-and-white version, though. While that’s a nice-looking toy, it has already been reissued in that color scheme (and it’s the least Astrotrainy of the three options, to me).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lore Keeper

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yes yes. Businesses need to make money. But, when they overreach, they can push potential customers away. It's unlikely that the mold needed to be remade, as it was just reissued a few years ago, diecast, stickers and all. The packaging also shouldn't be a major factor. They already have the overall design down. Change what pretty pictures are printed on it and bam! New package.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Optimus I can understand, but $50 for such a small toy.... How much was Starscream reissue, not that much...

10. Mattymo

Mattymo Banned

News Credits:
    but there’s such a thing as mold degradation. I’m just saying it’s possible but honestly if you really think they’re taking advantage of fans nostalgia they’ve been doing it for a very long time and not just hasbro. Look at any vintage release. Power rangers legacy is ridiculously expensive, Star Wars, Master of the universe it’s all taking advantage of it and it all sells!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lore Keeper

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    $35, and the seekers were more expensive than Astrotrain in 1985.

I do not disagree about those other toy lines. One big difference I find is that the Vintage line was introduced with fairly reasonable prices. Then, they started to rise. Optimus for $50? Ok, he was always one of the most expensive. Oh, Soundwave's $50 too? Man, that really hurts. Now, they have a toy which was not much more than an Autobot car going for that much. Hasbro seems to be employing a slow boil strategy to their pricing, and it just comes off as deceptive.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Mattymo

Mattymo Banned

News Credits:
    then just don’t buy it. It’s that simple and the folks that don’t mind go ahead and get it.

13. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Ok Devastator looks like he's in pain in that catalog

• Like Like x 2
  14. Lore Keeper

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    But, it ain't tho... Imagine looking forward to a release, with a reasonable expectation of what you'll have to dish out for it. Then, it drops at an absurd price that you can't, as much as you want to, justify. I don't know your financial situation, but most people have to budget to some degree. Hell, people got completely priced out of the Masterpiece market for basically the same reason.

• Like Like x 1
  15. cybergaurdian

cybergaurdian Well-Known Member

Higher prices could possibly be due to a redo/repair of the mold, or that Walmart put in a smaller order than the others so lower units ordered=higher cost to retailer.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mattymo

Mattymo Banned

News Credits:
    again. Don’t buy it. A chunk of plastic that’s not a necessity and wasn’t planned for a release till less than a year ago. It’s a straight up nostalgic thing that will eventually end up in a landfill.

17. Lore Keeper

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Are you really making the argument that a figure has no value beyond the plastic it's made from on a website that exists to celebrate such figures? Yes, I know it is a piece of plastic, but to everyone in the hobby of collecting them, it's more. We have an ongoing business relationship with the companies that manufacture these products, and share with them mutually beneficially transactions. It is completely within reason to find great disconcertment when your business partner attempts to take advantage of you.

• Like Like x 2
  18. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not required, I still have my original G1 from my youth.

19. Mattymo

Mattymo Banned

News Credits:
    Than just don’t buy it.

Learn self control and when to say no. Speak with your wallet. Complaining on a fan website does nothing. Don’t buy it. Control your plastic crack addiction and accept you don’t have to own everything.

• Like Like x 2
  20. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    Did we know about this? We need an Octane release.