G1 Swindle - Most well loved G1 combiner member?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jignat, May 17, 2020.

1. jignat

jignat Well-Known Member

When the show started getting more gestalts in 1986 (Superion, Menasor, Defensor,Bruticus, Predaking) alot of them tended to fall by the wayside due to time constraints. Out of each group, only 1/2 had slivers of personality.

Do you think Swindle is the most fondly remembered due to him getting more funny moments like selling his combaticon team for spare parts, haggling with Galvatron for the transforming cog, etc?

2. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Out of the limbs, yes.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

I think so, but I also think that it was because the other Combiner team members, even though they had pretty fitting voices for their personalities, didn't really get as much presence as Swindle did.

Swindle always seemed to get more attention than the other Combiners, with his rather important appearance in B.O.T., being one of the dealers when the Quintessons brought Energon cubes to the battered Decepticons, joining Motormaster and Laserbeak in pressuring Cyclonus into dealing with Galvatron's mental state and stealing Metroplex's cog and trying to make a deal with Galvatron for it. So yeah, not only for his funny moments, but also because he did have a part to play in moving the stories ahead.

Plus, Johnny Haymer's performance was just perfect for the character, making him sound like the total sleaze he really is.

• Like Like x 10
  4. Whomps

Whomps Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean, Swindle pretty much had an entire episode dedicated to him and he was pretty funny in most of his appearances. Only ones with anything close to that was Silverbolt and Slingshot, and let's be real, Slingshot just comes off as a giant douchebag, and Silverbolt ain't exactly Captain Charisma and the rest of the Aerialbots were pretty unremarkable. Constructicons work best as a collective unit rather than individually. While Onslaught is my favorite of the Combaticons, he and the rest I feel don't leave as big of an impression individually as Swindle did, and the other combiner characters don't really have much of an impact especially ones that came later

• Like Like x 5
  5. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

I actually liked Silverbolt quite a lot. His anxiety and phobias were something that I found very relateable. But I agree, he wasn't the most dynamic character.
    I have to agree....he can be really, REALLY annoying (his voice didn't help). Ironically, though, he's one of the very few G1 cartoon characters to have a story arc, since he slowly learns to respect humans and the Autobots and very gradually becomes less of a jerk.
    Yeah, for whatever reason, Swindle managed to steal a LOT of screen time...and since he was consistently funny, that made him very popular.
    I like Onslaught a lot, too, but you're right...most of the Combaticons' characterization came more from their voices than from the writing.
    I would, however, raise Dead End and First Aid (thanks pretty much solely to "The Ultimate Weapon"), as characters who were pretty memorable. Dead End had a very fitting voice, and he was very consistent in his "doom and gloom" routine (especially by Season 3).

I'm a big combiner fan (and by that I mean that I like the individual members of the teams, not the gestalts) but most of that is because of their bios and their cartoon voices rather than because of any cartoon or comic book appearances.

• Like Like x 6
  6. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy As cool as the earth is blue.

I like Swindle, but my favorite Combaticons are Brawl and Onslaught.
    Out of everyone though, Vortex deserves more screentime.

• Like Like x 3
  7. RKStrikerJK5

RKStrikerJK5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Swindle was the best part of BOT-and that's not a knock against Swindle.

He may not be the most well-loved, but he's certainly one of the most memorable ones. A con-Decepticon with some damned memorable lines and personality, featured very prominently in several episodes? Yeah. He stands out. I love the guy.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Distant1

Distant1 Well-Known Member

1I think Swindle is the most memorable character of a gestalt with Deadend being a close second from a G1 cartoon perspective.

9. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

If the cartoon is your only source, then Swindle without a doubt is the best known combiner limb, since he had a prominent and memorable role in at least two episodes. Maybe First Aid comes next due to the season 3 episode and Silverbolt and Slingshot thanks to their origin story and the Orion Pax story. But all the others got little to no attention.

Marvel also did little to nothing with the combiner team members.

I myself spent much time reading through the Marvel Universe profiles of the Transformers. And because of this, Swindle's presence in the cartoon didn't add much for me. I like the Combaticons more as a Decepticon version of the A-team, which does makes Swindle Face (Onslaught = Hannibal, Brawl = BA, Vortex = Murdoch & there's Blast Off). But I also loved the Aierialbots with Skydive being the historian and brilliant pilot, Fireflight being a danger to everything and everyone because he was mesmerised with childish delight when flying, and Slingshot the arrogant punk who really wasn't even near as amazing as he thought. Or with the Protectobots the charismatic leader Hot SPot, the hippie pacifist Groove, the cool Streetwise or the pxychotic Blades. And what to think about the heavily pessimistic Dead End or the paranoid Breakdown?

Those Marvel Universe Profiles together with my imagination did more for me liking the team member than the cartoon ever could.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  10. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    First Aid needs more love for all the extra attention he got in the old cartoon. But I guess that's what happens when you stand in Ratchet's shadow.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Revoticus

Revoticus Big Combaticon fan

Ironically Swindle is my least favorite of the Combaticons but I can't deny that he has the most exposure out of the team. I wish someday the rest of the team would get their own little adventure.

12. KremzeekTyCobb

KremzeekTyCobb Your redundancy stains/Tired of infantile claims

No way. Dead end > swindle.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 The Weeb Transformers Fan.

10 miles away from you and rapidly approaching
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Thank the lord that MTMTE made First Aid a prominent character.

• Like Like x 1
  14. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Silverbolt.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Swindle ended up making the jump back to television as his own strong, independent bot who don't need to be part of no combiner team to cut you a deal in Transformers: Animated, so I would say the answer is yes.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Not Blitzwing

Not Blitzwing Silverbolt Retool

News Credits:
    I'm A sTrOnG iNdEpEnDeNt BoT wHo DoN`t NeEd No CoMbInEr TeAm!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 The Weeb Transformers Fan.

10 miles away from you and rapidly approaching
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, Silverbolt did go solo in WFC. I just wish the other Combaticons got some time in the limelight.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

I think Brawl also appeared without his teammates in WFC. (I believe he was a playable character in at least one level.)

Weirdly, Breakdown also had a solo appearance in WFC (and he was definitely a playable character.)

In FOC, Vortex and Swindle were playable characters, as was Bruticus, but Blast Off, Onslaught, and Brawl were not. (Onslaught did have a lot of lines, though.)

19. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I'd like a Masterpiece Swindle. Not a Masterpiece Bruticus as he really can't be done. Just Swindle as his own stand-alone Masterpiece toy.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jma141

jma141 Well-Known Member

MotorMaster: Megatrons in trouble!
    Deadend: (sarcastically) Whoooo Cares?

• Like Like x 4