G1 Sky Lynx vs CW Sky Lynx

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by JohnRedcorn, Oct 28, 2016.

?

Which Sky Lynx?

1. G1/Encore Sky Lynx

44 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. CW Sky Lynx

20 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have the CW Sky Lynx however I sometimes wonder if G1 version might be slightly better, maybe because of its size. I am wondering which Sky Lynx is better?

2. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero Emotional Age 18 & UP

My preference is tied to the "Encore" Sky Lynx. I bought him in 2013 when I was collecting every character with Commander-based rank, and later tried continuing when I thought completing that line would help me save my share of the fandom. It didn't. And at the same time, I only recommend the "Encore" piece to those who want a touch of vintage in their collection. Because as great as he looks, and the fact he is not a reissue, he is still part of the vintage line.

I hope that helps answer your question, and resolves anything. :) 

3. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I bought the G1 toy for my chug collection.
    It has all the articulation it needs and is a duocon as Skylynx is supposed to be.

4. jbwkkl

jbwkkl Wrecker for life

G1/Encore.

I'd enjoy a REAL update to the G1 version that provides more neck and tail articulation, but never liked that the CW can't turn into 2 separate creatures like the G1 could.

5. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Encore/G1 Sky Lynx.

I think he is one of a few G1 molds that can still hold up pretty well by today's standards. He might not be super articulated (especially with the electronics), but he has the size and he can split into his two separate units which makes him the automatic winner for me.

6. MrAngry

MrAngry Proud to be Geek!

I've owned an original G1 and a CW. I miss my original (got it as a kid). I bought the CW as a character representation, but it just isn't the same. The G1 SL was REALLY good. One of the few G1 toys that still fit in today.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One of the few instances where G1 is superior to the modern day generations. Plus the G1 version can walk if you put batteries in him.

8. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ask yourself, 'what would Sky Lynx buy in my position?', and you will not go far wrong.'

;) 

Uh, what do you mean by that? Save my share of the fandom? Sorry, I don't geddit.

As to Sky Lynx, I have a MISB Encore Sky Lynx, and while I haven't opened him yet I would recommend him over the CW Sky Lynx. CW SL is... I dunno. Compromised. He's quite neat but you can see he's quite clearly aping the original which basically does everything better? Sez the guy who never handled his Encore Sky Lynx.

• Like Like x 2
  9. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Encore Sky Lynx. Absolutely. Hasbro missed out in a great opportunity to remake one of the coolest G1 toys in CW Sky Lynx.

10. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero Emotional Age 18 & UP

It's a 2013 scenario I had faced. Different fansite, which disallows me to go into all of the details here.

All I will say is that nobody told me that a specific super-fan there had a vindictive streak. And that his actions made it hard for me to get into any specific lines. Which resulted in me going from a trend/theme to just buying Transformers for the sake of having a collection. Which had Encore be an attempt to become my affordable saving grace in 2013, with that just being another issue for my OCPD. Which is a collection killer for me. And all of this ended with me selling everything and avoiding the franchise for nearly 3 years.

Besides that, Sky Lynx is the figure I do like as-is. But I also see the mass appeal of his updated form. Which made answering his question hard for me. :p 

11. TheSuperion

TheSuperion Am...were...Aerialbots

I have no attachment to the G1 cartoon or toy-line - I only know Sky-Lynx from the IDW comics, where he's just an arrogant Dino-Bird instead of a Dino-Bird that splits into a Lynx and a Bird. I still don't understand the whole branched-spark thing - is he a singular entity that spits into two bots and splits his consciousness between them, or two separate individuals that combine? Apparently TFWiki says there's no conclusive answer.

Also, the Combiner War toy looks absolutely bad-ass when in Torso mode - he's currently the centerpiece of my display, along with four deluxe limbs. So CW Sky Lynx is definitely my pick.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I keep hearing that Sky Lynx is one of the few G1 molds that can fit into today's line and hasn't really aged much. I can see that based on video reviews and pictures of him. And yeah, like some have mentioned, Sky Lynx ought to be big.

13. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    That is pretty much his personality in all continuities :D 

This is how i always understood him and its how a Duocons works so i always assumed he was kind of similar.

14. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

cw sky lynx lacks everything that made the g1 toy awesome. same with cw powermaster optimus prime. they may share the looks. but they do not share the play value.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    Cw skylynx has his issues, but he is small and on top of that hes only half the the g1 character

I have my encore skylynx on display he looks better, he can actualy stand, he does have good articulation, but i think thats more to do with the fact of when he came out, he is closer to the end of the transformers line where we started geting characters like wreckgar who has great articulation.

I would get encore skylynx

16. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    AS much as I like the CW Skylynx the only think that is disappointing is that the shuttle and booster don't separate like the G1 toy which I too bought the Encore version of.

17. Rockdown

Rockdown Persecutor in chief

Ebay:
    Whip it out and handle it. Feel the girth and the size.

18. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    I like the original Sky Lynx much better. I think the CW version is a good update, and it's a fun toy, but it's small. I was never impressed with the G1 Sky Lynx when I saw it in catalogs, and I only bought the Encore version to round out my G1 collection. However, when I did get the G1 version I ended up liking the toy quite a bit. So my vote is with the G1 toy.

Incidentally, when comparing an original toy with its updated version, it's difficult to be objective since nostalgia plays a role. So my vote would generally be for the original toy over any update. The only exception may be the Masterpiece line, since that has ended up giving us the fully realized dream-worthy designs from the G1 cartoon. Notable examples in the MP line for me are Optimus MP 10, Soundwave, Starscream, Shockwave, new Hot Rod, and the Sideswipe, Wheeljack and Bumblebee molds.

19. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    I have a slightly beat-up G1 Sky Lynx in my collection. It's an amazing figure (figures?) regardless of the minor wear and tear.

20. Liokaiser1989

Liokaiser1989 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    G1, not doubt about it. The fact that CW does not split is a big disappointment.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016