G1 Seasons 3 - under-rated or just plain hated!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Soundatron, May 27, 2007.

1. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I liked Season 3.

Granted, I miss the character-focus episodes of Season 2 (were there any in Season 1? I'm thinking episodes like Make Tracks, The Master Builder, whatever that one is that focused on Red Alert, etc)... but I liked Rodimus, cause, well, I was a kid and thought Hot Rod was awesome, so I liked Rodimus Prime. Nowadays, I still like him, cause, well... same as has been mentioned... he's imperfect, he knows it, but still does his best... he shows a lot of personality, and it comes out that he's burdened. The Burden Hardest to Bear is one of my favorite episodes ever, cause he finally deals with it. Then they go and bring back Mr. No-Flaws Optimus Prime after that episode.

I liked Magnus... he was a simple character, but he was defined. There were times you could imagine him in a situation, and know what he would do, because he was that well developed. I liked Springer, too, cause he was a wiseass. ;) 

I loved the insane Galvatron. I thought that was a really cool touch to the storywriting.

I did miss the kinda thinning out of characters though. :( 

2. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I liked it because it felt less "episodic" to me and more like a season of a show.

The horrifying animation makes it nearly unwatchable for me these days.

3. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I love all of G1. All 4 seasons. Rebirth was extremely rushed but I still liked it. The animated movie is in my opinion the ultimate Transformers experience up to this point (I may change my mind on that in July when the live action film comes out).
    Don't get me wrong, G1 Optimus Prime is my favorite character and I missed characters like Wheeljack after their deaths, and I hated the lack of Soundwave, but I still absolutely loved Season 3. I liked that it wasn't entirely Earth based and it became something of a space opera. While Rodimus wasn't Optimus, I did really like him because I can relate with him. I have tons of responsibilty that sometimes just overwhelms me, and if I were made leader of the Autobots - I would act just like Rodimus Prime. Furthermore, while I much preferred the badass that was Movie Galvatron with Mr. Spock backing up his voice, I still liked the insane portrayal he had in the cartoon.

4. DeceptiKreep

DeceptiKreep Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really liked season 3 of G1. It was a fresh take on things... the new characters were cool.

So missing my TF dvd's right now :( 

5. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

For me, killing most of the known G1 characters in the movie was the series' jump-the-shark moment.

EDIT:

Oh... hey.... I got 2,000 posts.
    Yay....

6. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Season 3 is my favourite of the three, by far.

The movie had consequences, and both sides -didn't- just reset to the old conflict again. Now they had to deal with repercussions of their 'perfect' leads being dead.

Autobots have Rodimus Prime, who not only dislikes his position but more or less keeps deferring to people around him half the time. He also actually has a full character arc if you ignore Return of Optimus Prime! "Burden Hardest to Bear" is a great episode and also results in him finally accepting that he's a Prime (then he forgets the episode happens the week after on friggin Return of Optimus Prime). For that reason I tend to glaze over the usual blanket criticism of "he's too whimpy" since, well, it was part of an arc that resulted in him becoming stronger in character.

Decepticons have Galvatron, who is more or less the blow they've suffered from the movie. Not only are they basically ragtag and on the run, but after spending 5 years looking for their glorious leader, they find him completely deranged and brainfried from half a decade of soaking in lava. Having seen all of S3, I found Galvatron really fun to watch. 80s writing aside, I got a kick out of how he wasn't a 2-D moustache-twirling villain, but was instead unpredictably paranoid and more or less only had one loyal follower in the entire cast (Cyclonus).

Also really like how the scope of the storylines got more creative, to my eyes. Like, S2 plots with less outright silliness. And the addition of more antagonists made for more variance in story.

I do believe many folks just dislike it for perfectly good reasons of opinion, but I also feel S3 gets an incredibly harsh rep simply because it's post-movie, actually had consequences stemming from the movie, and thus has a different cast and feel.

Of course, there are some parts I don't like. Return of Optimus Prime especially, for more or less nullifying two of the best episodes in the entire G1 series (Dark Awakening and Burden Hardest to Bear). Primacron was silly as hell. And the animation was, as was the case for all of G1, extremely hit or miss, but I apply this to S1 and S2 equally (S2 hurts, S1 mostly hurts when it's not the MTMTE episodes).

S1 and S2 are cool but start to hurt my brain after 3 or 4 episodes. S3 I can actually watch great deals of at once and be entertained. :D 

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Season 3 gave us some of the worst-animated TF eps in history. It also gave us arguably the best-animated (Call of the Primitives).

It also gave us Webworld, so I like it. :) 

Based on my own observations, the first season tried to take itself kinda seriously, and had a moderate sense of continuity, where things from a previous episode had effect on those that came afterward. By the time season 2 ran around and the series switched toa daily format, there were more episodes to be made in a relatively short time, so there tended to be more episodes in the "macguffin device of the day" vein, more campy ideas, and more contradictions in continuity. Season three swung back the other way slightly. There were still plenty of silly ideas, but the setting and main cast had all but completely changed (perfect hero versus classic villain exchanged for self esteem issues and mental disorders). Writers got to play a bit more with darker themes and more complex character issues if they wanted. Some liked it, but it was too great a shift for others.

And the 'fourth season' miniseries didn't do a lot more than just introduce the 1987 toyline.

8. BeastWars 4ever

BeastWars 4ever Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Season 3 is the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it! The stories are better and much more complicated.

9. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    The comics portrayed him wrong in a way. But when he did the "Seal Unicron in the Matrix thing" that was pretty impressive. He sacrificed himself for the good of the universe in the alternate ending of Marvel comics The Transformers.

10. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

I agree alot with what ppl say about S3. Yes the animation was poor and there were craptastic eps, mainly Carnage in C-Minor.

I agree with Rodimus, flawed character. Sorry guys but mr. happy go-lucky public praised and goverment welcoming superman esque hero has been over-done. Though I never saw him as whiny

I dont despise the Quints origin story too much. I mean the idea of them killing both decepts and autobots because they can or want to? Sorry I need a motive of some sort otherwise it's just boring

And yes it felt more like a show with many earlier events effecting other episodes

Rebirth yeah, is crap but remeber it was originally written as 5 episodes but they made David Wise rewrite it. Kept it 5 it mighta been good. Maybe some char. introductions and development. More on-screen time of Scorponok and Fortress Maximus. But another thing that hurt was there were way too many new chars to introduce. Targetmasters, headmasters, horrorcons etc.

11. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Well-Known Member

For me season 3 was the least exciting season. Not that it was bad at all. It's got the best animated episode of the whole US G1 series: "The Call Of The Primitives". There were also some other noticable episodes like "Grimlock's New Brain", "The Ultimate Weapon", "Dark Awakening" and the two-parter "The Return Of Optimus Prime". One other noticable episode, not in favor for season 3 at all, was "Carnage In C-Minor", being the worst G1 episode ever. I thought that the episode "City Of Steel" from season 2 was very bad. Well, that was quite a shock! :D 

Compared to season 2 there were less new characters. But most of them were quite interesting. I don't see season 3 as the reason for the beginning of the end for the US G1 series. Basically the end of "The Rebirth" somehow marked the end instead of season 3. The Golden Age has been reached so why continue the storyline even further? :wink: 

12. Rodimus23

Rodimus23 Member

I think season three is the best season by far. I tried watching seasons 1 & 2, and had a difficult time sitting through more than a couple of episodes. Rodimus is my favorite transformers character. He actually has a personality, unlike Optimus who is boring and predictable. I enjoyed watching a character that had to go through good and bad situations in order to become a better leader. I can relate to Rodimus. I often find myself wishing for less personal and/or work related responsibilities. However, I do the best I can to meet the challenges that these responsibilities provide. Sometimes I succeed and often I fail. But most importantly, I try to learn something and/or improve myself in the process. I think that most people do. It amazes me why Rodimus is often disliked by transformers fans. I guess Optimus may give people a sense of unrealistic security; however, Rodimus represents the ups and downs of reality.
    I also really like Cyclonus. It was a welcome change of pace to see a responsible and loyal Decepticon character; who tries to support his leader instead of trying to destroy him. In addition, I like the concept of teamwork and friendship that season 3 provides. It is nice to see that Rodimus can rely on Kup and Ultra Magnus for good advice and guidance.

13. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I love all of G1 and that definately includes season 3. Rodimus is one of my favorite characters. And FFOD and Burden Hardest to Bear are some of my favorite eps of the whole show.

14. AMG

AMG Old School

I liked season 3, namely because it had my all time favorite TF character in it.

Hail Galvatron!

15. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

And the Sweeps repeat: Hail Galvatron!:) 

16. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I liked season 3. Although the animation was terrible ( most of the time ), and the non-realistic alt modes were a turn off, the stories for the most part were more mature. It had a dark tone that really set it apart. Either people hated the change to the dark tone, or they thought it was cool. That's why we have the love it or hate it opinions of it.

17. Mirage2004

Mirage2004 Active Member

I think it goes without saying that Season 3 is bad. I believe that the show started going downhill midway through season 2 when new Autobots and Decepticons started magically appearing and stealing screen time from the original characters. The storyline in Season 1 is fairly simple to follow. The Decepticons want to steal energy in order to get back to and/or power Cybertron, and maybe destroy the Autobots along the way. In the second season it's much more difficult to understand what the Decepticons' motivation is. Both factions have space ships of some sort or another and one has to wonder why the Decepticons even bother staying on the Earth. Episodes like "The Gambler" and "The God Gambit" illustrate this point. I suppose that the writers just got tired of finding things for the Decepticons to do on Earth.

Some of the episodes are just painful to watch, such as "Child's Play", "City of Steel", and "Triple Takeover". I always loved the fact that Optimus can be mortally wounded so easily in the movie, but disassembled and turned into an alligator in "City of Steel" with no lasting ill-effects. There's only so much Powerglide, Warpath, Cosmos, and Seaspray that I can handle, not to mention conehead jets.

"Hoist goes Hollywood"?

18. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Yeah, in all of my praising season 3 I forgot to mention that I hated the "Primacron built Unicron thing" and I try to pretend that didn't happen.

19. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

it's ok son, you're not alone. We all try to block that out.

20. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    The Primacron thing is just propaganda - same as with the Quintesson-creations idea (though it's likely that modern TFs have been heavily influenced by the Quintesson presence on Cybertron over the aeons).

There are people who refuse to accept the Covenant of Primus after all...

...and some will believe pretty much anything.

(Think about it - Cybertron is still trying to rebuild after the horrific attack by Unicron. How many of the survivors would like to know that 'oh by the way, even though he may look like a floating head-moon thing now, Unicron's evil is pretty much eternal...'? It's no wonder that these alternate 'theories' gain currency!)

But yeah, 3 was pretty good, and Rebirth brought us Nebulos - well, one take of it, anyway (I do like how DW made the Marvel comic Nebulos the main planet, and put the green-skinners from the Hive on one of its moons!).

I was always more of a TF comic fan, though.

And Rodimus Prime is number 1 in my book!

Gary