G1 Seasons 3 - under-rated or just plain hated!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Soundatron, May 27, 2007.

1. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

It seems I can never talk to anyone about Season 3. I understand by Season 3 the TF scene was starting to die down, some kids grew up and fans lost with the death of many G1 characters. But I have always liked Season 3, more characters were introduced more than before, in almost every episode. We had more Triple Changers, Gestalts, etc. Plus, it got more darker and even sadisitic with the Quints and even Rodimus

Arcee: Springer move out or ...AAAHHHHH!
    we the young audience at the time believe him dead or they want us to think that
    Rodimus: Gross
    lol his companion just got ate up and all he says is Gross, lol what a dick

There seems to be so much hate for Rodimus but I like him. Ppl in the past have called him emo?!?! Um no. He just hates the responsibility he has, we all go through that when we were teenagers n shit. He's the first leader who isn't mushy and tries to sugarcoat everything. He'll give it to you straight and he means it
    Rodimus: Well you have two choices, you can either suffocate or smother.
    Magnus, Optimus not Grimlock would say that well comic Grimlock maybe.

2. deymasc

deymasc Well-Known Member

Everyone is entitled to their like and dislike of certain things. I for one don't like Season 3 of the G1 Transformers. I thought the entire series went downhill following the release of the animated movie back in the 80s. That's just my opinion though. Many people feel the same as you do, and again that's your entitlement.

3. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Season 3 was my favorite season of G1, it was alot more entertaining to me. I did enjoy the first two seasons as well, but I dunno I always liked season 3 the best.

4. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

i liked the whole run of g1,myself.

5. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The only thing I liked about S3 was TROOP. I like "Rude Awakening" even better. :lol 

6. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

I'm not trying to argue at all but how did it go downhill, what was it that you didn't like?

7. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Rodimus was gay. I'll tell you straight up.

<Comic Book Guy> Worst. Leader. Ever.</Comic Book Guy>

8. jokerswild

jokerswild Voice of Ashes

I myself am a big season 3 fan, rodimus is one of my all time favorite designs and cyclonus is my fav character (followed closely by tarantulas) my only gripe with the season was the shoddy animation... it didnt seem to me any tlc went into the seasons animation

9. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    if it wasn't for the animation i would watch it more, the only episodes i watch really are the ultimate weapon, only human, call of the primatives and the return of optimus prime because of it (i don't go anywhere near rebirth either. the animation makes me want to puke)

10. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I disagree. I liked season 3 because of Rodimus Prime. He was a flawed leader, unlike the superhero/can-do-no-wrong leader that Optimus Prime was.

11. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I hate Prime as well, because he never died. But Rodimus was just a whiny little bitch.

12. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I thought season three was "ok" but not as good as the first two seasons. The G1stuff after the movie did have its moments. Webworld was an awesome episode that really came out of nowhere.

13. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The pendulum swung a little further in each direction where S3 was concerned.....

Carnage in C Minor was possibly the most silly episode of any season, but conversely there were darker episodes like The Burden Hardest to bear.

I suspect, that if season 3 contained the same stories, but with earlier characters people may not be so quick to write it off.

Personally speaking, i liked S3 more than 1 and 2. Especially The Qunitessons

14. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I dislike Season 3 for many reasons said many times before. So I won't go into them, but I will say that of the original three season I remember season 3 the most vividly from my childhood.

15. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I think Season 3 sucked as much as Season 2 - I don't single it out for specific rubbishing.
    Only the first series offered any semblance of quality to me, and that's the only one I ever re-visit.

16. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

3rd season has some really good episodes.

17. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Unicron. Origin. Monkey.

'nuff said!

18. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I like alot of season 3, its not like season 2 that is my favorit but I still like it we have alot of cool stuff like Predaking, cyclonus, Rodimus and UM. Quintessons and computron and Abominus :) 

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    By the time Season 3 originally aired I was starting to get out of Transformers and into Ninja Turtles so I don't remember much of it as a child, except for the Return of Optimus Prime mainly because it aired on my birthday that year...but having bought the DVDs and watching them as an adult I have conflicting opinions.

PROS:
    -Overall I think the writing was more mature to a certain degree. The movie intoduced us to death, so having the characters talk about dead comrades automatically added points to this.

-I like Rodimus. Like jourdo said, he was flawed. This is also a double edged sword, which I'll get into later. other characters I don't mind too much are the new Autobot cassettes, trypticon, Metroplex, and Octane.

-More scenery than just earth and Cybertron, as well as aliens...even if most of them were somehow transforming robots as well;) 

-Some animation was phenominal. Call of the Primitives was gorgeous...even if I hate that episode overall. Others with great animation is Dweller in the Depths, Chaos, and the Killing Jar. The Metroplex/ Trypticon battle in The Ultimate weapon ALWAYS gets me pumped up.

CONS
    -This is strictly subjective based on what era you grew up with, but I was completely turned off, even in the Movie, by beloved characters replaced by gimmicky or paper thin characters like Blurr, Wheelie, Arcee, Springer, Kup and Ultra Magnus. All these characters have since grown on me but They were all thrown at us at the beginning of the movie with little to no introduction, and few of them got any character development throughout all of Season 3. Honestly the only episode I can stand Blurr in is the Face of Nijika. Seasons 1 and 2 were no masterpieces, but at least you see some of the characters grow a little. They tried that with Rodimus in Season 3, but they brought back Optimus at the exact moment they could have really done something with Rodimus. A couple one-off episodes with the characters would have done wonders, like they did with First Aid's side story in The Ultimate Weapon. Ultra magnus got some spotlights, but he never changed. Actually, it was nice seeing his true feelings about Rodimus come out when he was infected with the Hate Plague...wish that had been explored before the end.

-Like I said Rodimus was a doule edged sword. I loved the fact there was a Leader who made mistakes and fell flat on his face as a result, but the whining got real old, real quick. I've said it a few other times, but I really would have preferred them not bring back Optimus Prime at all...instead, had Rodimus travel into the Matric more often, using Optimus Prime as a sage. Optimus would have still been in the series, overly-sensitive kids wouldn't have nightmares about Prime's death, and there would have still been a new leader.

-I HATE Galvatron in Season 3. HATE. In the movie the personality was close enough to Megatron for me to not notice the drastic change as a kid. But even though they explained it alright with the plasma damage, the insanity bit in the series was interesting (to me) for all of maybe half an episode. This is, of course all personal preference and rose tinted glasses since I liked Megatron better than half the Autobots including Optimus as a kid watching seasons 1 and 2

-The Quints being revealed as the creators. I understand they couldn;t go showing primus and religion on a kid's TV show, but I just preferred the Quintessons being some asshole alien race that delighted in killing other species as they were depicted in the movie before any sort of backstory was put into them.

-Some episodes were well written, others were (IMO) crap. My least favorite episodes in all of G1 are the Return of Optimus Prime 2-parter, Dark awakening and Call of the Primitives. I guess it was just because by that age I had already been aquainted with my grandfather dying, but seeing prime die wasn't traumatic and bringing him back cheapened his death. Call of the Primitives was just confusing nonesense that had spectacular animation...but a gold plated turd is still a turd at its core. Carnage in C Minor needs no mentioning...but I actually think the STORY would have been salvageable without the animation that looked like Louie Anderson's skid marks.

-A big downside to season 3 is completely selfish...the Dinobots were my favorite characters from the instant they came on the screen. Seeing them go from a near-unstoppable force that even gave mother nature a beat down in Seasons 1 and 2 to even dumber comedic relief was a major turn off. Obviously Grimlock is my fav transformer ever and it was cool to see him get a lot of screen time in Season 3 but again, I hated the comedy relief. Arrogant, disrespectful asshole to party caterer. Right.

Like I said all this is completely subjective, but it sums up my feelings on Season 3. Lots of good, lots of bad. I really wish it had continued on without Optimus to give the characters a better chance to expand.

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Season three sucked.