G1 Season 1 vs Season 2

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ReximusPrime, Oct 19, 2016.

1. ReximusPrime

ReximusPrime Well-Known Member

Been re-watching the cartoon recently since I've had a little time off school work and I've noticed that Season 1 is actually really good and is a lot more coherent,down to earth and feels more like Transformers than I remember Season 2 did. In fact, I've noticed the difference between Season 1 and 2 may be just as may be closer to the mood whiplash of Season 2-3 than I initially thought.

Do you guys have any preference when it comes to the first 2 seasons?

Which would you say you enjoyed more?

2. God Ginrai

God Ginrai Energon Enthusiast

I personally really enjoy Season 2. I like that it doesn't really take itself seriously and is dominated by a sense of fun. And it has a lot of good character-focused episodes, a large cast on both sides, and a lot of different stories and settings.

• Like Like x 2
  3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Season 1 has a sense of continuity, and I like that about it. However, I thought that a lot of the Season 2 scripts were better written. Most of my favorite episodes are from season 2.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    It's basically a matter of whether or not you want an overarching storyline throughout either season or not.

The first season has one and the second is mostly just a series of standalones.

Good and bad episodes in both so w/e.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    I always felt like Season 1 and the first twenty episodes of Season 2 were where it was at, ending with "Desertion of the Dinobots" (almost like it's a Season 1.5). You could easily skip the rest and just go straight to the 1986 movie from there.

6. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I've always enjoyed season one more than season two. Season one is much more plot based, where season two is more character based. I'm not a huge fan of the character based episodes.

7. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out!

News Credits:
    Series 1, whilst enjoyable, doesn't have a huge variety in terms of story ideas. Only rarely are the episodes set outside of the boring desert backdrop (the two Skyfire episodes being amongst the notable exceptions), and most episodes revolve around the Decepticons trying to get their hands on a new source of energon (ruby crystals, meteors, ancient Incan artefacts etc.) and the Autobots stopping them after being tipped off by the Sky Spy. Furthermore, Season 1 focuses primarily on the 'big four' of Prime, Bumblebee, Megatron and Starscream, with none of the other characters getting much of a look-in.

Season 2, by contrast, is much more varied in terms of style, location and plotting. From the alien climes of 'Child's Play' and 'The Gambler' to the lush painted backgrounds of 'Makin' Tracks', the Season 1 deserts are far less ubiquitous. Whilst Megatron's hunt for Energon is still a core theme, it's far less prevalent, allowing for more storytelling scope.

Furthermore, minor and background characters get a chance to shine. It feels far more of an ensemble piece, with characters such as Gears, Beachcomber, Powerglide, Astrotrain, Seaspray etc. each getting a 'focus' episode. Whilst the main characters are all present and correct, Season 2 is better at shining a spotlight onto the rank and file.

Lastly, there's much more variation in tone in Season 2. Season 1 was basically standard action/adventure fare with a touch of humour. The second year saw flirtations with outright comedy ('Hoist Goes Hollywood', 'Prime Target'), space opera, harder sci-fi themes of time-travel and space exploration, episodes with an ecological theme ('Golden Lagoon', 'Dinobot Island'), and even a philosophical treatise on the nature of gods ('The God Gambit').

Season 1 was good, but Season 2 was far more textured and broader in scope.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    I love Season 2 and I barely remember much from Season 1. When I think G1 Transformers I think Season 2, so many of my favorite episodes are from Season 2.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I'm not sure really.

Season 2 had a lot of highs and lows but had so much variety but Season 1 was tighter and cozier.

10. Darker

Darker The Lord of the Dark

News Credits:
    I don't remember much about them and I watched these two seasons not too long ago. I can remember Season 2's episodes better, so I'm going with Season 2.

All I can perfectly remember from Season 1 was the pilot, and that's it.

11. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I also have always found season 1 to be more enjoyable. This is admittedly, coming from someone who watched the show in modern times, but I've always preferred how much more grounded it was. You didn't have goofy episodes like the Girl Who Loved Powerglide, Child's Play, or a Decepticon Raider in King Arthur's Court. The criticism that season 1 got repetitive is fair, and there were a lot of good episodes in season 2, but I still prefer the consistency and grounded style of season 1.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Season 1 hands down especially the 3 parter pilot. I liked how the background Seekers were more like Borg drones in that they'd attack something for the resources it provides not out of malice and were almost indifferent to the humans.

I liked the portrayal of Tracks, Hoist, Inferno and the Stunticons in Season 2 but that's it. I mostly thought it was childish. Even as a child.

I don't mind humour but I hate silliness and Season 2 had far too much of it. From crap like Kremzeek to the hated Alpha Trion, the most horrible cliché in the franchise.

To me Season 2 and the Animated human villains are as bad as the Unicron Trilogy.

13. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    S2 had more variety and character focused episodes. S1 was just one big desert battle.