G1 "reissue" toys seen on ebay question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by transtrekkie, Feb 20, 2015.

1. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Okay, so I think most of you know what I'm talking about. The best example I can think of is Shockwave. I was browsing Ebay for G1 SW and several of the listings were for a "reissue". Now, I know there has never been a Takara Encore reissue so I'm kind of wondering if these G1 "reissues" are actual reissues or are they some other companies knock offs? I ask because some of the auctions actually do list them as KO (Knock Off). Also, is there any real appreciable difference between these toys to the originals, or are they more or less the same like the difference between G1 Prime and Encore Prime?

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Typically eBay sellers try to skirt the knockoffs by eBay with labeling them as "reissues/remakes." It's best to just do your homework on which ones have been officially reissued and which ones are knock offs.

3. nice sideburns

nice sideburns Autobot Brother

I think most of the KO's are coming out of china. In terms of discernible differences, well, not having much first hand experience of KO's all I can tell you is what I have read; thinner, cheaper plastics are generally used on the KO's and joints are often loose. Someone with more knowledge will no doubt be along in a minute to flesh this out...

4. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah. there are definitely a lot of KO's out there.

i wouldn't mind getting a set of the G1 KO dinobots.. especially the cartoon accurate swoop. but, i too am not sure on the quality of their make up.

5. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Funny you should mention that, I had Swoop a few years ago. I had bought it at a toy shop here originally thinking that it was in fact an original Swoop. But, in reading a thread on here describing differences between an actual Swoop from 85 vs. one of the "knock offs" I couldn't really tell. The toy itself had some of the things you would see on the knock offs, but it would have just as many things that would distinguish it as an original, so I didn't really know. The box and packaging is what really throws me about this and is why I'm asking the question, it looks exactly like the original Hasbro packaging, even with Hasbro's logo and copyright info. Surely if some other company was making these, they would want to put their logos on them?

As for the quality, my experience with the copy of Swoop I had makes me think that I wouldn't mind having most of these in my collection as stand in G1 figures, my only real question on this is authenticity. Would that be a collection of officially produced (IE: by HasTak in some form) or would I just have really well made knock offs?

6. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Quality of these "reissues" varies from release to release, so there's no way to guarantee how sturdy any of them are. But make no mistake, Hasbro and Takara both do not reissue Transformers in completely identical packaging to the G1 original, especially when the box is using the Hasbro logo from the 80s.

But as far as being stand-ins for the official bots, they at least look the part, and without close inspection only you would ever know which of your Transformers is the real deal or the KO.

7. Cybertronman

Cybertronman Well-Known Member

I've had one of these Chinese knock-offs for a number of years.
    I've never bothered trying the electronics, so not sure how good they are, but the figure is reasonably solid.
    Legs can be a little iffy at times - the thighs often try to slip back into the lower legs depending on how you have him standing.
    The Dinobot one's are all pretty good, not as solid as the originals, but very good for the price - I managed to pick up all 5 for $150.
    Avoid the Wheeljack though, his legs are a nightmare!

8. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    as gizmo basically stated.. you're going to have to go case by case and do your homework as to what is official and which is unofficial.

if a company is making a KO, they're going to want to keep as much stuff as similar as they can, even down to the box. they don't want to sell their brand, they want to sell it as an expensive original.

i know there are a lot of people who hate KO's and the people who make them. i personally feel like they have a place, and they're okay with me just as long as they're labeling their merchandise as KO's.

the swoop is almost definitely a KO, therefor, not made by hasbro or takara. if the figure is solid and isn't one of those KO's that just crumbles, keep it. if it's garbage, get rid of it.

also, as gizmo stated, hasbro and takara have never (at least not to my knowledge) copied the G1 boxes identically. so, that may help.

9. engledogg

engledogg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I this sort of thing with the KOs on Amazon as well. i have seen all the high quality KOs from one time to another, the Dinobots are particularly numerous.

11. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm only okay with KO when the authentic release is no where near in circulation, like the KO G1 Dinobots. If there was an Encore/Bookstyle whatever, I'd get that.

That being said. The blue chested Swoop. Only issues I had was that it was missing the factory decals and the gun pegs didn't fit on the wings. Both easily replaceable. But man, is it a beauty. Wheel on the landing gear, pointy nose and shiny paint. Love it and worth every penny.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I did get a few "reissued" G1 Transformers as well. I got the boxset of Menasor and Defensor. Both are very cool and didn't cost as much as the vintage sets.