G1 Reissue possibilities (2018-beyond)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by WishfulThinking, May 22, 2018.

1. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    Do you mean one that wasn't previously released by either company? Platinum Trypticon would be your answer.

• Like Like x 2
  2. omegabuck01

omegabuck01 Junior Transformer

Ebay:
    I love that we are getting some awesome high quality reissues of G1 figures, I just wish they would stop reissuing the same figures. We already got Hot Rod, Optimus, Starscream, Soundwave, etc. from Toys R Us. I want more new figures like these casettes, Devastator, and the minibots. GIVE ME THE DINOBOTS!!!!! Either individually or as a box set; I need them to kick Devastators butt. And don\'t tell me they don\'t have the molds, Chinas been selling them for the last like ten years. HASBRO! WALMART! Please give them to us!

• Like Like x 1
  3. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    True, but it's been what, about a decade since those TRU releases? Maybe a little less? And, they weren't in "vintage-style" packaging, which truly is the draw, at this point.
    As for the lost molds being sold in China, there's a difference in reverse-engineering a mold to bust out a few hundred copies vs. an actual mold that can crank out thousands of figures consistently.
    But yeah, it would be nice if this line does good enough that they make new molds for some of these.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Nighthawkblack

Nighthawkblack Well-Known Member

How hard is it to reverse a mold. Why don't they just do that for the dinobots.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mecheon

Mecheon Grumpy Dinosaur Nerd

Because reissues don't sell enough to make it economically viable

You could remake the original Dinobot molds, or you could make new Dinobot molds with, y'know, shoulders. And they chose the one with shoulders.

6. Nighthawkblack

Nighthawkblack Well-Known Member

Ball jointso forshoulders are overated. Why do they try stopping others make the g1 reissues? I beg to differ, the tech is there these days to make a mold easier and more cost effective than it used to be. The dinobots might be their safest g1 release in my opinion.

7. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    They just don't want to. Cost doesn't stop them from doing what they want to do.

8. Mecheon

Mecheon Grumpy Dinosaur Nerd

It will cost the same amount to recast the Dinobots mold as it would to make a completely new mold

The G1 Dinobots can only be sold as part of an exclusive to a single fickle chain in one country in the world who's basically doing all they can to get out of selling toys. A new mold can be sold all around the world, and be retooled to save money on other future molds, such as say, serving as a basis for Terrorcon retools, like the PotP ones

G1 Dinobots just won't earn enough to make the investment worth it. Welcome to the cold hand of capitalism

9. Sgt Jack V

Sgt Jack V Well-Known Member

Probably because it's completely useless to have two air-based altmodes?

• Like Like x 2
  10. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The G1 dinobot molds are in the hands of a chinese factory that's been cranking out "KO" reissues for at least 5-6 years. All Hasbro would have to do is get them back, but how well will they sell when they're already out there in massive quantities?

11. RKillian

News Credits:
    What if they hadn't sat on their hands for those 5-6 years?

12. BenjaminXavier

News Credits:
    We don't live in a world of "what ifs" friend.

13. RKillian

News Credits:
    And this disputes my point that they could if they wanted to how exactly?

14. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Well, I'd say "the same way Optimus Prime is flying off Walmart shelves right now," -- but the Dinobots present a problem. Not every Dinobot is popular - but every Dinobot would be expensive. Easily in the $35-50 range. Grimlock and Swoop would sell easily enough. But what about the others? How many Sludges will just sit there and colonize shelves? Would collectors be willing to shell out upwards $250 for a set of five? It's a risk Hasbro and Walmart have to weigh very carefully.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BenjaminXavier

News Credits:
    And that's another part of the problem. If they do one, sales will drop off by #3 or #4, so they'd likely do them as a set. But then you're talking a minimum of $150 for the set, up to $250. I'd pay $150 sure. Maybe $200, but I'd want the G1 packaging. so how do you do a "Set" when they're all packaged separately? Boxes within a box? That means more shipping weight, and almost impossible to stock in a store (the Dinos packaging is much larger than a G1 car). Its just a mess.

16. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    The head looks very Headmasters. Perhaps if Titans Return ever gets a revisit, Hasbro will toss some love his way. I mean, even a jet-to-helicopter Titanmaster vehicle with the Titanmaster head in his visage would work fine.

• Like Like x 1
  17. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Chinese factories making KOs does not equate to having the actual molds. More likely they reverse-engineered molds, which can be done considerably cheaper if you're just cranking out a couple hundred copies. They have to be considerably stronger (bigger and heavier) to consistently crank out several thousand(s) which also means significantly more money to do so.

18. BenjaminXavier

News Credits:
    No, in this case they have the originals. They've had them for years and they've been making high quality toys out of them for years. There have been KO G1 Primes for just as long but the Primes suck in comparison and have sprue mark differences. The dino's dont.

19. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You can see that different molds have been used, and the way the details are softer in the comparisons.

Grimlock KO 钢索 - KO资料库 - AC模玩网-中文世界最大的模型玩具网

Sludge KO 淤泥 - KO资料库 - AC模玩网-中文世界最大的模型玩具网

Slag TF315 --- KO铁渣篇 - 新闻新品 - AC模玩网-中文世界最大的模型玩具网

I'm not saying that there haven't been upgraded models in more recent years, but that doesn't mean "they have the original molds" just because you believe it to be so.
    I'm more inclined to believe the company that could profit from this, if it was actually true, then "he say so" on the internet.

20. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    I'm of the opinion that the they have the original molds and were left behind when Hasbro switched factories. The softness comes from wear over time - something the Combaticons have suffered from even as official releases. But we really don't know either way - it's all speculation.