G1 Reflector appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by supernova222, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I feel a character(s) in the series that is left out alot and doesnt get any real attention is the infamous reflector.

Anyone else agree with me, show your love for the little triple bot con

For any unfamiliar with this dude. Reflector was one of the main decepticons in the 1st season of G1 and transformed into a camera. He could create identical copies of himself. He was usually seen with two copies. It is hard in original seris to tell if he was one bot that usually had two clones with him a lot or if the three bots shared one mind, both are equally probable. the poor guy basically disappeared from the series after season except for a few breif scenes.

he was cool none the less though
    [​IMG]

2. bacon4e

bacon4e Resident Cheesehead

Yeah I always hoped he would show up more myself, but what can you do?

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    These guys should have been the Vehicons of G1.

4. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    in the early episodes, it was them and seekers filling in the ranks. But eventually Spectro, Viewfinder and Spyglass all disappeared from the show, their only real modern appearance being in the comics, in AHM and the new RID briefly, as well as spotlight Wheelie.

They were awesome.

5. NeverDoubt

NeverDoubt Well-Known Member

From what I've read he was a mail in toy, though that was actually long after he'd been kicked off the show and the series bible said "Toy discontinued. Do not use character." Is that accurate?

My friend realized recently that he actually has the original Reflector toy in his attic; definitely looking forward to seeing that. :D 

6. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Although they only transformed once in all of Transformers fiction to my knowledge (in the G1 cartoon), I always loved them myself but never got the mail-in. I absolutely love the design, and loved that they talked in unison.

7. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    There's the famous Thundercracker moment in MTMTE, but they also transformed when spying on some science lab place later in season 1 (the camera alt mode is depicted in a slightly different colour scheme there - I only know this because I did some reference research when I made my custom). Reflector was a unique TF though, and definitely got the short end of the stick. Always wondered why. Did someone decide kids wouldn't want a camera TF toy?

8. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

I was very angry as a kid the first time I saw the '84 checklist and found out there was no Reflector toy.

In the S1 DVD extras they spoke about Gear formers not selling that well. Maybe Reflector was pulled at the last minute because they thought he would shelf warm.

9. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Possibly. You would think that the popularity of Soundwave/Megatron/casseticons etc might have changed their minds though. Or maybe they simply thought there were too many gearformers already. I seem to recall there was a Diaclone Binocular robot too, which was left out of the TF range altogether.

Personally I have no issues with mass shifting, so I would have welcomed more gearformer Cons... It helped differentiate them from the Autobots IMO, which some TF lines don't quite manage when both sides are all just vehicles.

10. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always liked them, it was a shame that G1 didn't show much of them.

I was hoping they would be in TFP.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I consider Reflector to be the Vehicons of G1.

12. Killamarshan

Killamarshan Iacon Tourist

Reflector always intrigued me (and that’s a good thing), I saw them in the cartoon but had no idea of the toy they were based on.

Wish they had featured in the G1 comic. Budiansky or Furman could have fattened out their characters. They also featured in some groovy South Korean cartoon where they were fighting Communists from the North, should be somewhere on youtube for anyone interested.

13. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Always loved Reflector. As a kid, three separate robots with a collective persona that combined into one alt mode blew my mind. Always wished there was a main line release of their original G1 toy, and have been waiting years for a modern update ala Classics/Generations. Third parties have come close, but none of them have managed to nail it properly.

14. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Were their character models used as technicians in the Decepticon castle in the original comic?

I like to think that the likes of them, Sunstorm, Acid Storm, Soundblaster, Howlback and the Seeker drones were all retroactively present in the original Marvel series we just didn't see them. I hated there being so few Cons.

15. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When I think of Reflector, I always remember one of the guys being forced by Starscream and Rumble to pilot the transport shuttle thingy to Cybertron in 'Divide and Conquer'.
    That scene always makes me giggle. :lol 

[​IMG]

I'm hoping for a much needed update of the character.
    Hopefully the upcoming United release won't disappoint.
    That will be one expensive troop builder if we don't get a release in the US.

16. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I've always liked how some of the decepticons would transform into normal everyday items like tape players, cassettes, guns, cameras. Someone would pick these up and then bring them inside and them BOOM! Giant robot has deceived and infiltrated.

17. Badgertron

Badgertron Well-Known Member

I love that there are now TWO 3rd-Party Reflector figures :)  I just got a KO set of the originals, and they're really sweet little figures. I've always had a soft spot for gear TF's.

-BT

18. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Think of a stealth mission with these guys in the next HMS game, it would be awesome.

19. ChadTheBad

ChadTheBad Cassetticon

Ebay:
    I'm still waiting for a Toys"R"Us Commemorative Series/Edition rerelease. Come on Hasbro give Chad some love!

20. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    one of my favorite molds from g1, and a very underused character imo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.