G1 or Beast Wars?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ErbFan28, Jul 12, 2011.

?

Which do you like more? G1 or Beast Wars?

1. G1

50.6%
  2. Beast Wars

49.4%
  1. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, alright, well you said it would only get like 1 vote, so I kinda took it as you saying it was terrible

2. ErbFan28

News Credits:
    I do hahaha:D 

The movie is badass though. Its no doubt the best part of G1 in my eyes

3. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I do. I've got the entire soundtrack on my ipod.

4. ErbFan28

News Credits:
    The soundtrack in that movie was fucking awesome. I might go watch it a little bit

5. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Yes I conceeded your point, but only so far as it brought TFs back to life after it died with G2. Not that it was so popular that it lead to the rest of it. Honestly I hate talking about both these shows objectivly. To me G1 is superior in almost every way, but BW was also good in it's own way, so different a way it's almost uncompairable. BW suffered in ways (imo) that I'm sure most would consider it's strong points.... like having to few characters, or spars surroundings, the slow paceing, CG, background music.

When BW started I over looked my disapointments in the type of show it was, because it was a Transformers show. Though right from the begining I felt that it was so different that it shouldn't have even had been connected to TFs at all. It wasn't until season 2 when they had a bunch of new characters (stocked up)and more connection to G1 that I actually started to really like BW on it's own. Before that, BW to me was only a little better than Reboot... another show I sort of liked in spite of it's faults.

As to popularity. G1 wasn't just popular... it was a cultural phenomenon. Christmas of '84 there were mobs of parents fighting over the toys. It spawned a theatrical film that was far superior to the quality of the show, so they put real effort into it (unlike other 80's properties that made it to the big screen). Even the lines that came after the cancelation of the G1 cartoon sold more toys than BW did with a show to back it up(from what I recall).

The live action movie:
    I don't remember, but I think the All Spark may have come from the comics... so it could have come from BW for all I know. The TF characters while a bit different are obviously based on G1 as is the general story.

"I just want to know which cartoon of the same continuity you find better."

G1

6. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like them both, but I picked Beast Wars.

7. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    This.

8. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I chose G1 for the following reasons:

i) it has a greater variety of characters. Even within both factions, many of the characters have their own personality quirks. For example, Optimus was a skilled leader but wasn't ruthless enough (as described in the original Marvel comics), Sunstreaker was vain, Starscream's a power hungry character etc.

ii) Multiple gimmicks. G1 had them all - from the original Autobots and Decepticons that had fairly realistic alternate forms with diecast content, to combiners, animal robots, headmasters etc.

iii) Rich myths. We had the Matrix of Leadership, Unicron, Consumer robots vs Military robots etc.

iv) Innovative for its time with the characters' death. We all know that some of the older characters were killed to make room for new toys but it was amazing and sad to see characters we grew up with died. E.g. Optimus, Ironhide etc. IMO if Optimus had remained dead or became a "force ghost", the TF legacy for G1 would have actually been stronger.

Some of the concepts and elements in the different series and even the movies borrowed ideas from G1. For example, the space bridge.

v) Wide coverage. From cartoons, comics etc. Even up till today we have comics on the G1 franchise.

The only thing that limited G1 was the animated series which was limited due to the writers. I'm not sure if some sort of "censorship" board was in place like He-man was?

One can't really compare the way G1 Megs and BW Megs were written. If G1 Megs was written as BW Megs was...we would be seeing at least 1 Autobot death in a story arc. Story telling and media censorship has changed since the G1 days.

I loved BW but it only got interesting only after G1 was factored in and the...G1 easter eggs and jokes. Without the G1 legacy, I wouldn't have enjoyed the show.

9. Stormcrow

Stormcrow Well-Known Member

Between the two, I go G1. Granted, that's what I grew up with.

I personally dislike the over all aesthetic of the BW show and characters.
    No, G1 was not written as well, but it invented the lore.

But really, in my opinion, Animated and TF:p rime are both superior to all predecessors.

10. ErbFan28

News Credits:
    Okay, let's just agree to disagree hahaha
    G1 is a great show, though

11. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

G1 all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although I will admit however, after 5-6 yrs or so I finally watched Beast Wars and I did like it, it just won't ever replace G1 for me.

12. Vla

Vla Well-Known Member

G1. I prefer vehicle TFs, and don't interested in beast modes.

13. Autobot Dave

Autobot Dave Photobot

It pained me to do it, but I chose Beast Wars. The storyline is much better.

The G1 characters and alt modes will always be my faves, but as TV series go, there's still nothing in TF lore that tops Beast Wars. It's too bad it had to be followed up by Beast Machines *shudder*

Have fun!!!

14. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Bye

G1 for me. Besides the fact that it was what introduced me to Transformers, I just prefer the characters and vehicle alt. modes. Beast Wars was definitely a superior show, though.

15. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with this sentiment. Though I do like the Beast characters as much as the G1s, I enjoy collecting toys of vehicle transformers more than beastformers.

16. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

No, don't! Argue the part you bolded, and point out that BW and G1 are the same continuity! ;) 

Poor Dinobots, Predaking, Ravage and Laserbeak get no love from anyone!

17. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

1. He can't argue my opinion. He asked, I answered... we disagree. And, he did point out that they are both the same continuity... didn't you read it?

But, being the mind reader that I am; I can tell you misunderstand. He bolded a question he asked of me, not the other way around.

2. Again, no one is saying they don't like the beasts of G1, just the real animal alt modes of Beast Wars.

18. ErbFan28

News Credits:
    Wow! Tied again

19. ErbFan28

News Credits:
    Haha. I know. They're like the hated G1 characters now

20. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Beast Wars and G1 are BOTH great, that's really all there is too it. If anything this poll proves that. The 2 series are equally loved by Transformer fans, and rightfully so.