G1 or Beast Wars?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ErbFan28, Jul 12, 2011.

?

Which do you like more? G1 or Beast Wars?

1. G1

50.6%
  2. Beast Wars

49.4%
  1. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This took me 5 seconds to decide

Beast WARS

2. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Beast Wars wasn't the sole reason, but a huge part of why the current live-action movies were even made. The movies represent Transformers, not just G1. The high popularity of Beast Wars along with ALL cartoons and toys spawned these movies. G1 being a BIG part as well

3. ErbFan28

News Credits:
    Not all transformers fans were born in the 70s and 80s. Those fans got their love from Transformers from other shows and toys, such as Beast Wars and others. G1 did start it all, yes. That doesn't mean everybody loves the show and toys and have that same nostalgia towards it. And with all the new fans that have been introduced to Transformers over the past 25 years, they may have nostalgia for whatever introduced them such as RID or Armada. It doesn't always have to be G1

4. Stygimoloch

Stygimoloch Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I get that G1 built the legacy we know today (and for that it deserves respect)... but I struggle with the thought process that that makes it in any way shape or form a good show. The only redeeming qualities I find in it are the Voice Actors. Maybe this is only because I didn't get to experience it as a lil kid'.

So Beast Wars by a mile. That show had a consistent plot, actual characters, and remarkable visuals for its day. No contest, unless you're a nostalgiaholic (Pardon my disrespect, but I see no other way one could objectively name G1 better, unless they nail it down to personal taste).

5. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    It's tied yes!

[​IMG]

Oh, and to add, All Hail G1!

6. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

That's not exactly fair. You can give BW a break for the time it came out, but not G1. For G1 was also a stand out show for the mid-eighties. There is a reason why everyone loved Transformers back then (and it wasn't just the toys or the comics).

G1 had actual characters. But, I guess you mean BW characters were more developed. Which I don't know I'd even agree with. To me they weren't really more developed so much as just had more focus. Simply because you saw them all the time due to them being a small cast.

I will give you BW had an overall more consistent plot.... but season 1 of G1 kind of fallowed a time line. Season 2 on was stand alone episodic because that's the way it was done back then.

Sorry, BW wasn't a huge part of that at all. Beast Wars did revive Transformers from the grave. So it's true if you think of it as a chain of events... because without it there may not have been anything else ever done with the property. It was RID and Armada that really got people excited about Transformers again, that and G1 making it's return on DVD and new comics from DreamWave. And I'm sorry to say the movies don't really draw from all of Transformers but mostly just G1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only thing used from Beast Wars was the concept of Sparks.

7. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    G1 - trukk not munky, lol

8. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

I voted G1.
    (and it was hard)

But for the record, I would like to list a few points...

-G1 = idea to sell toys, used comics and tv to do it
    -BW built on what G1 had, and also was an "epilogue" (in a way) to G1
    -BW used modern (of its time) CGI, G1 had none
    -BW took the best bits of G1 and made it better (characterization, "holy $#!t" moments on-screen, etc)
    -G1: in most of the characters, unique voices to characters vs BW where everyone had memorable unique voices (albeit G1 had many more characters)
    -I do not dispute BW saved the TF franchise
    -BW did use stupid kiddie comedic moments (though I don't hate them), examples, Dinobot running into tree and turning flat, one fart joke episode, TM2 Dinobot shredding Waspinator and we see "pieces of paper" colored in Wasp's colors floating down like paper, etc etc
    -BW set the bar in story telling for future TF tv series
    -BW and G1 did not dumb down dialogue vs RiD and Unicron Trilogy
    -I did very much enjoy BW and anxiously waiting new eps to show up on tv (YouTube, torrents, internet spoilers did not exist at that time)

Lastly, if G1 was so bad, why are there so many
    -homages in toys;
    -updated/modernization of original toys;
    -non-toy products of G1 characters (statues and busts);
    -character names taken from G1 in new shows (and bay movies);
    -new takes of G1 in comics (G2, War Within, GI Joe vs Transformers, DW mini-series + the axed ongoing, IDW ongoing, Hearts of Steel, (Devil Due's) GI Joe and Transformers, Micromasters, Stormbringer, etc);
    -multiple reissues in multiple versions (along with repaints of G1 figures that were not released back in the 80s)?

BW has had
    -2 spin off series in Japan;
    -1 homage year in BotCon;
    -1 modern comic book series;
    -1 homage episode (+ 2 toys) in Animated;
    -9 one-shot reissues

help me out, that's all I can think of at the moment...

9. Stygimoloch

Stygimoloch Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G1 had good visuals for its day, yes, but what I meant by that was that Beast Wars was one of the first "all CG" shows to be successful. Even today the visuals aren't nail-gratingly horrible as some might say. Granted they're not that good, but its watchable.

G1 had characters, but did they develop over time in subtle and not so subtle ways other than learning the lesson of the week? I don't think so. Beast Wars pushed its character's emotional boundaries, G1... I don't even.... yeah.

I realize that's the way it was done back then (a lot of shows still do it now even) but we're not comparing the shows relatively, we're (supposedly) comparing them objectively. So saying " it was good for its day" isn't really a good point.

10. darkunor

darkunor Banned

G1 or Beast Wars?
    G1 77 50.66%
    Beast Wars 75 49.34%
    Voters: 152.

Looks like G1 has taken it's rightful place in the polls, brilliant, good riddance to Gorillamus Prime and his band of furry fuzzballs, long live G1!

11. Una

Una Well-Known Member

I love both series but I picked BW because to me, it had a mystery, character development, dealing with social issues like the original Star Trek series did(and some hidden that even I didn't think or know about until later on XD ), introduced new characters to the TF mythology, and the whole Maximals ruling Cybertron and Predacons as second class citizens (Cybertron is experiencing a Cold War).

All of this just attracted to me because I love mysteries and this whole dark atomsphere BW conveyed. It bought more depth to TFs and also to G1 as we see the effects of the Autobots winning the Great War.

I just love it!

BW should get more recognized but after maybe TFP and the Bay movies, maybe BW should get another look. (Not a Reboot per say but a continuation! =) or the events leading to the Pax Cybertronia. Anything. )

My two cents. =)

12. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Looks like g1 won

[​IMG]

13. excelhedge

excelhedge Overseer of Weird

News Credits:
    So where the I Like them both

Or I consider the Beast Era as part of G1??

14. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

Since it actually is part of G1, that's probably a good thought. ;) 

15. Nope

Nope if it's not in frame it doesn't exist

News Credits:
    Reason why G1 is up. If you had asked which was better, G1 would have maybe 1 vote.

16. ErbFan28

News Credits:
    So, what you're saying is G1 is terrible? I disagree man. It isn't that bad. I will agree it has alot of problems and I do find Beast Wars better, but I enjoy watching G1 from time to time. It started Transformers. Its not terrible at all. If it weren't for its popularity, we wouldn't have had Beast Wars

17. Nope

Nope if it's not in frame it doesn't exist

News Credits:
    I didn't say it was terrible. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great. I just said that BW is a better show.

18. boxorak

boxorak Lovable Noob

Personally, I like Beast Wars better. I've rediscovered both series, and from what I've seen, BW seems to be superior.

That said, I like G1, mainly for that kickass movie (Show of hands, who else has "The Touch" on their Ipods? :D  ).

19. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    yup that about sums it up. IT depends on what you are comparing and even that is a stretch.

BW is a better show, plotwise, character developmetn etc etc. G1 is baisiclly a 20 min toy commercial with stand alone plots ( except season 1 )

If we are to cpmare everything else besides the above or even take that into consideration then G1 will baisiccly beat everythign else.

G1 is the foundation were everything we know and love by TF:s are based on. Therefore it will always be that special era of Transformers, the ones that started it all.

Besides comparing shows are not that all easy aswell. Most shows during the 80s have no long plot, they have good guys and bad guys and in every ep the baddies do something the good guys must stop. This repets itself in all major 80s shows.

'Today we have a new standard, we go much more deeper into a show. It reqiuers plots, great characters etc etc. The shows are aimed at kids but even alot of adults and teenagers follow them aswell. That groupe of ppl are also more judging then a little 7 year old.

20. ErbFan28

News Credits:
    Exactly, man. Though, you weren't intending to agree with me, you actually did. Beast Wars' popularity helped spawn Beast Machines which led to RID and so on. So, in other words, the live-action movies wouldn't be here if it weren't for Beast wars

Every series has the characters of optimus and megatron. Megatron wasn't a gun in the movie(thank you michael bay). Bumblebee is actually badass. I don't remember the allspark in G1(I heard the term a few times in Beast Wars and Beast Machines though, just a thought). So pretty much the macguffin in TF1 was based off an object from the Beast Era. The only characters that somewhat resemble G1 are Prime, Megatron, Starscream and maybe Ratchet. Beast Wars is part of G1, though. I just want to know which cartoon of the same continuity you find better.