1. Of note - we are in the process of upgrading the site to use HTTPS / SSL. In that time, you may be logged in/out depending on what area of the site you are looking at. If you want to be logged into the forums, please log in via https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/login/. If you do that, you will not be logged in while looking at the front page. We hope to have this fixed within the next 24 hours or so.
    Dismiss Notice

G1 Optimus Prime Reissue

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by lonewolf96, Dec 14, 2018.

1. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What version of Prime is that on the right?

• Like Like x 1
  2. mags2424

mags2424 TT and 3P MP Advocate

• Like Like x 1
  3. PlatypusRhyme

PlatypusRhyme Well-Known Member

I went to an out of the way Walmart today bc their website said that 5 Primes were in stock at that store…none where there, they hadn't even gotten them in yet. All they had were a few marked down Hot Rods.

• Like Like x 1
  4. FattyMoBookyBut

FattyMoBookyBut Well-Known Member

Brickseek said my local walmart had a handful of devastators for a couple months but I never saw them. I finally spoke with someone who knew what was going on in the middle of December and they said they had around 60 pallets waiting to be unloaded for 3+ months and had to get "everything" on the floor by Christmas. 2 days later the Devys showed up on the shelves.

If brickseek says they have them, they're probably just tucked away in the WM purgatory.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

They probably had them in the back. They'll usually play dumb that they're back there. Brickseek said all the Walmarts around me had six except mine which had zero and the next one over from me had five. Went there and sure enough, five.

Brought him home and applied the stickers and set about comparing him to my 01 reissue. Smokestacks are longer but it looks like they're new pieces, not the originals. Like the thicker section is shorter on the new one. Either that or the 01 used newly designed smokestacks. Either way, the 01 isn't just a cut off version of the 19 but a different mold.

IMG_20190110_151322.jpg

Stickers on the 01 were paper stickers with a slight metallic sheen. Stickers on the 19 were a very thin film (one of the knee stickers actually ripped so be careful) with a much nicer chrome sheen.

The red paint on the 19 is more vibrant. Like too vibrant. It's like a candy red that doesn't match the red plastic as well as the 01 does. Part of that might just be that the 01 is almost 18 years old so he just looks a little duller. The 01 also has a better color match between his legs and the painted feet with them having a very slight violet hue. The 19's legs are just a little less purple and more blue but his feet are just straight up blue with no hint of purple at all. Sadly, the 19 has, imo, a much worse paintjob on the face than the 01. The eyes have a little blue showing through the yellow paint and the paint doesn't fill the entire eye sections.

IMG_20190110_151628.jpg

Note that I've left off the forearm stickers on both of my Primes cuz I don't like them - no depiction of Optimus, cartoon or comic, had his forearms looking like that (unless you count the early UK comics that used the straight up toy models but I don't count those). I also only gave the new one a single autobot logo like his character sheet, comic, and cartoon depictions and I've used a raised toyhax label because I thought it looked nicer. Also it doesn't have that problem of not laying flat because of all the rivets.

I'm considering swapping the heads but I guess I'll need to look up a disassembly guide cuz I don't see how to remove it. I probably won't bother but the eyes are really disappointing.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    It was the same crew. Starscream, Devastator, Prime, Minibots... there were plenty of them out there, probably for less than what these cost.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Brogey

Brogey Well-Known Member

If they showed 5 someone had to buy one because the stores showing around me started with 6 each so I'm assuming it's 6 to a case.

• Like Like x 2
  8. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    Those eyes make '19 Optimus look a little too happy.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Taking the 01's position of honor on my Optimus/Megatron shelf :) 

IMG_20190110_154625.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  10. PlatypusRhyme

Hmm, I scoured the shelves just in case the employees were wrong, but didn't find them. Now the site says my local W has 5 lol…we'll see.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brogey

Brogey Well-Known Member

Good luck. I drive quite a bit to a store that had a full case and they wouldn't go look for them in the back because they could be anywhere. They still have 6 on hand. The second store I haven't been able to get to slowly drops everyday, they are down to 2.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    These have all been actually a fair bit cheaper than the last releases by Takara, although this Prime has no trailer and the Minibots aren't sold in a set so it's hard to compare.

But I agree, I wouldn't hold my breath for Takara doing anymore G1 reissues anytime soon.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    You guys should try calling the store first to find out what's on the shelf and what's in the back (and what's in the back but currently unobtainable), you might have better luck for a lot less hassle.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PlatypusRhyme

Yeah true. I buy all my toys online, and don't have much experience with getting them at stores, I just assumed if the site says the store has it, that it would be there…I'm learning.

15. Brogey

Brogey Well-Known Member

That's the best part, the one I drove out to I did call because it was 30 miles away. The part about not being able to go find it wasn't said until I got there and all I got was "that sucks look it up on the Walmart app before making the drive again".

16. Vector Oracle

Vector Oracle Well-Known Member

"Autobots,transform...and search for my trailer. Seriously,it vanished and I've been trying to find it for weeks."

17. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

The blues are off from the original??? That’s a bummer.

18. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Beastie lover

News Credits:
    Guess I'll spring for one of the older reissues instead then. thanks for the side by side pictures and mini review :) 

• Like Like x 1
  19. Me Grimlock

Me Grimlock Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The packaging is awesome but $50?!? It should be at most $20 without the trailer.

I'm not the type to post "hasbro is being greedy" either! My first time!

20. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    Surprised to actually find these on the shelves. Gives me a warm feeling to see G1 Optimus back on the shelves though.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5