G1 Optimus Prime Reissue

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by lonewolf96, Dec 14, 2018.

1. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    There is something we can do. It's called not buying it until it goes on Rollback to a more appropriate price.

And I don't think fans here don't understand price inflation. Most here would be down for $35 for a trailer-less G1 Optimus - which is more on point for inflation pricing when the original price back in 1985 was $20-23 WITH the trailer and $40 in 2001.

BTW, the reason the Cyberverse OPtimus with trailer isn't selling is because it comes with an Optimus that was already offered - and that being one of the worst Optimus toys released in 2018.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

I'm really hoping they'll do another release with the trailer

• Like Like x 1
  3. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    That would be a jab in the eye to everyone who buys this version...

• Like Like x 1
  4. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

I don't think so, there seems to be a lot of interest for just the cab. A lot of other Prime's don't come with trailers either.

5. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Not at this price.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How does that work? They're not gonna' let you go back and ask for the difference.

You risk it selling out and then not being reissued again for years. They don't seem too interested in restocking these so far.

Can you believe that 2001 is closer to 1985 than it is to today? I feel old. Which is understandable 'cuz I'm old. Oh and he originally came out in '84 but that's ok 'cuz 2001 is closer to that too.

.... though technically, depending on when in the year Transformers were first released in '84 and when in the year the reissue released, it might be closer to today but it wouldn't be by much.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    In principle, sure, but you're ignoring how the modern corporation saves face. They will never admit the price was too high (or quality too low or distribution too lousy or anything else that negatively impacted what should've been sure sales). They'll say fans don't want reissues and that'll be the end of them.

It's in the running for worst Optimus Prime toy released ever. Cyberverse is an embarrassment.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  8. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Buying it at the lower price and returning the one with the higher priced old receipt.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    Not feeling that.

10. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

I'll wait for an OS KO...

• Like Like x 1
  11. emoo

emoo Well-Known Member

Yep when I picked up my mp10 it was when it was at the $120, I never saw any after that but the tag was still on the shelf and I remember it being around $150. It was not the original release but I do remember seeing the tru re-release mp10 year of the horse prime on sale for $77-$78 for awhile That may be what Toyzaremine is thinking of.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

13. JediTray

JediTray aka User897

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Nope. I don't collect overpriced incomplete toys.

• Like Like x 1
  14. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

I’ll buy it. I’ll buy every single reissue, as I love this line.

Just like I paid full price for Hor Rod, he was worth every penny to me, and in the end, that is all that matters.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Hasbro / Walmart could really up the coolness if they also reprinted the old catalogs.
      That piece of paper wouldnt cost much to produce, but it would add so much to these reissues.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The catalog would be cool but there would have to be some big text saying it is a reprint of a 1984 catalog and items featured might be available. Keeps some idiot from filing some suit saying Hasbro is lying what is available. False advertising or something. You know someone would do something that stupid.

How about this idea. A new catalog done in the style of the 1984 catalog. Release it with the Soundwave reissue. Have the figures from Hot Rod through Soundwave in it. Seems there would be enough to get a decent catalog sheet. On the back, have someone make new battle artwork featuring those figures. Keep it old style, where for some random reason, there are 5 Tailgates in the art. :D 

• Like Like x 3
  17. Wikkid

Wikkid Completely retired customizer

That does not tickle my nostalgia bone.

18. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    You almost had me in agreement... except you said this from the onset

This is a horrible, horrible underestimation of how product production to distribution pricing works.

Better word, complete inaccuracy. Buying more doesn't lower prices. In some cases it raises them since retailer know people will pay whatever to get what they want.

If I buy more boxes of pasta from the supermarket, Ronzoni isn't going to sit back and lower prices because they sell so much.

You have to consider market demand, production costs, distribution costs, and every little fee here and there. That's what drives prices up.

Otherwise, I agree with everything else you said. Doesn't matter the price tag, if collectors Gotta Catch 'Em All, then they'll pay the $50 or more for it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. eightbit

eightbit Active Member

I can say after opening the new Prime that the quality control is MUCH better when paired with my Encore release (the only other one I have to compare it to). The Encore release (at least mine) has had some kind of leg issue since day one. Its like the leg springs are "too strong". WHen in robot form he stands weird....like the picture in the previous post. Both feet not planted on the ground. When you transform him, either it is a pain to move the legs into cab position, or sometimes they spring back with a lot of force. Since I have had the Encore I thought it felt weird and not like how I remembered. I was right. The arms also barely ratchet and there are nasty sprew marks under the arms where they tore it off of the plastic in manufacturing. He also stands slightly hunched from what I remember as a kid.

This new release is nothing like that. Smooth transformation like I remember. Nice straight legs, both feet on the ground and stands without a hunch. The overall quality of the build and plastic feels better too. It's right and now I know they did some odd stuff with that Encore reissue.

Very happy to have grabbed this one. Again I only have the Encore release to compare it to, but man it is night and day.

• Like Like x 4
  20. JackKnife

JackKnife ...

Unless you're in Manhattan trying to get to the theater before the play starts, you don't pay 50 bucks for a cab!

(Even if it is G1 Optimus' cab).

• Like Like x 2