G1 music restoration project../

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by KMITB, Aug 18, 2014.

1. ArrowHead

ArrowHead Well-Known Member

"Buy me $1000+ in Izotope software so I can re-master and restore this audio for you!"

To an actual audio engineer, that reads like:

"Buy me a plastic wrench, and I'll build a house for you!"

Not only are these NOT the products a professional would use for this task, but if you're buying it for him it means he lacks the experience and understanding of how to do this work in the first place. You're paying someone to basically throw presets at music. And adding $1000 to his home studio to boot. Great deal for him, so-so for everyone else since an actual mastering house would charge about $300-500 to restore a big pile of tracks for you, and with better results.

Nice intent, but it's really the long and hard way to get there.

2. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOL, wow just wow. This fandom sucks.

Criticizing this guy why not offering any kind of real substitute is just being an arse hole

This guy , whether its the best way or not, is doing a ton of work. ACTUAL REAL WORK THAT WILL PRODUCE RESULTS. He is not just sitting at his screen typing stuff saying things but not doing anything.

You negative nancys need to put your actions where your mouth is and do you own thing if you think its that easily done. If it is, I am sure you will have no problem kickstarting your own project here.

Im leaving this thread, the project is funded and thats all I need to know. Way too much negativity here with people who just sit on their arse and spout crap out without putting feet to words

3. kary

kary Karyuudo Fansubs

My main issue with all of this is that he's asking for $$ for something he doesn't own the rights to.

I think the idea of the project is great, and I'm sure everyone here agrees it would be nice to have the music to the show. But I would seriously check out the legal implications before accepting money.

4. ArrowHead

ArrowHead Well-Known Member

You assume a lot, my friend. I criticize, but tried to do so constructively without negativity. I praised his intentions and efforts many times.

The reality is, you won't get great results. And you're paying an awful lot considering that. As an audio engineer and fellow fan, I'm offering my two cents to help prevent some of you from investing in something you may not be happy with in the end.

And as others have pointed out, you're PAYING someone to distribute music they don't have rights to. As a musician, I definitely have a problem with that.

5. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have issues with this whole endeavor. He is essentially restoring and distributing music that does not belong to him.

The owners of the music do not have to release it, it's theirs not ours. We are not entitled to the music just because we want it and we are fans.

If the person wants to do it right, he should go through the proper channels contact the owners and ask for permission.

6. Spark Extractor

Spark Extractor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with you, but I doubt any others are/were audio engineers, so they don't have a realistic knowledge base for what this guy is proposing.

Not trying to come off like an ass to everyone/anyone, so sorry if I do:

The source material is problematic to begin with, so even with manipulation it won't come close to the kind of full sound people actually want. People seem to think it would take some inordinate amount of time to do, which is only true if you didn't know what you are doing in the first place. Add that to the fact that he quotes the over inflated MSRP ($1200) price that it never actually sells for (retail = $750) so it sounds like a steal at $650, plus the fact that if he actually owned a legitimate copy of RX2 he could probably upgrade to RX3 for a small cost instead of paying retail like most other audio software....and on and on. For the people that chipped in $1 or $5, no big loss. It's the $25 and $50 donors I feel bad for. Gotta give him some props I guess for finding a way to have other people buy his legitimate software/plugins that he can use to advertise to new clients. =) And as for "typing but not actually doing anything", I'd say the reason to type is to let people know not to spend too much of their money on it. The "not doing anything" is because realistically, knowing what the source material is and the software does, it's not really worth the time to do it.

And I'm not even going to mention the 're-engineering' and distribution of other people's work without permission.

So throw in $1 or $5 if you want, and enjoy whatever comes out of it. Just know what is really happening here.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  7. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    That's true. I have a professional soundcard in my pc and monitoring speakers (Adam A5X) hooked up to the card for mastering purposes and music production. The last example he showed, there was not even the whole wind soundeffect removed, as it was still heard. And the sound quality was not improved either. It's not enough to buy some software, you need good equipment too. The guy was probably not even able to hear, that his last example was not improved much...

I'm waiting for an official release, even if it will never surface. The source material is too lofi to actually get good results out of it, other than maybe partially removed sound fx (that might sound like actually completely removed, if you have standard speakers...)

8. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Man, I'd KILL for an official release! I listen to DiCola's re-mastered score constantly, so I'd especially love the s3 score that was based on his work.

9. Greenspan

Greenspan Monetary Maestro

News Credits:
    Is there any news on this ? Release date was supposed to be September 2014.

10. jamarmiller

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He sometimes post updates on the funding page .

11. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    best bet is just to wait until Shout Facotry or some other person makes a more official release.

I applaud what this guy wants to (in theory) accomplish, but..., I just think in the end it's not worth it to buy enhanced stolen music.

and pouring a ton of cash into free software that he didn't have to pay for, hmmm i just don't know.

12. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^^ true, too ^^

agreed

13. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  14. Greenspan

Greenspan Monetary Maestro

News Credits:
    Any update on this ?

15. kary

kary Karyuudo Fansubs

Looks like he updated some stuff last month. The track he restored sounds very good and I applaud his efforts. Even though the legalities are questionable, I'm glad to see that nothing has stopped his project.

16. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    From what I read he's working with the soundtrack of TFcog and tries to "restore" that. Which is another example how he obviously lacks experience to do this. He would need high quality sources for this. Like ripping the sound again from the DVDs and not using compressed sound to work with.

This project will not go anywhere good.

He's aiming for a quick and dirty approach which will never result in good quality. Maybe less shitty, but not good. He's basically wasting his time. Sorry.

17. kary

kary Karyuudo Fansubs

Well, we'll see how this turns out. Maybe he'll surprise everyone?

18. jamarmiller

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    cant wait for him to complete this, just wish it was faster

19. kary

kary Karyuudo Fansubs

I gotta say this guys restoration has been pretty impressive. That Generic Rock Disco theme sounds pretty good.

20. jamarmiller

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    how many tracks has he done so far ?