G1:Modernized Toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by JJohnson, Jan 26, 2023.

1. JJohnson

JJohnson Well-Known Member

Got him in here. I do have work and a wife, so time to post on this forum isn't always there.

2. JJohnson

Or, I was hanging out with my wife. I also don't drink alcohol. Perhaps we can all agree to disagree on how to collect or prefer Transformers.

3. JJohnson

I am buying G1. But most of them are bricks in comparison to modern figures. So, I'm buying the modern ones also. I want modern poseability but a figure that also captures what I believe to be the spirit of the original figure. Siege Optimus didn't do that for me, but Earthrise did. Earthrise Starscream does capture the spirit of the original to me. I own G1, G2, and Earthrise Starscream. Two for nostalgia, and one to play with when I feel like letting my nephews enjoy Transformers with me.
    I never said this was objective; you have complained several times about my subjective list not being objective. When I want a new G1 figure, it's not enough to slap a name on a new figure and say it's the original and call it a day. I said as much in the first post. I want a figure that looks like the original, mostly transforms like the original, and has modern poseability; and I'm willing to be flexible in some instances - Brawn not having claw hands, or Bumblebee not having two wheels on his arms, Jumpstarters not jumpstarting, and so on. I never intended for this to be the most recent version of every single character ever that has ever existed or remotely is connected to the Transformers universe. I included diaclone repaints because they're the source of G1 - Diaclone. I included the Go-Bots repaints because they were G1 repaints. That's how I work. You have a different thought process, and I'm okay with you not agreeing with me. I don't think everyone has to agree with all my own opinions. Transformers is a hobby and a few posts on this thread aren't exactly the nicest to a fellow hobbyist trying to enjoy a hobby with fellow fans of a nearly 40-year-old franchise.

Again, this is my thread with my thinking and if you disagree, feel free to make your own with every single Transformer character ever in existence in their most modern form that is the most objectively objective list in objective history. Have fun, enjoy. I will not go post on that thread and critique your thought process of what to include, because that's your own way of doing it, and in a hobby, there can be multiple right ways to collect or appreciate.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  4. Arnhide

Arnhide Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All any of us have been saying is that you were not following the rules of your own thread.

5. JJohnson

My post was:

"This thread is mainly for me to create a reference point for a list of the modernized versions of G1 characters. For a figure to be here, I would say it needs to transform mostly similarly to the original (sorry Mirage) into the same alt mode or a modernized take on the alt mode if not available otherwise. I'm counting Studio Series 86, Legacy, WFC, and Buzzworthy Bumblebee in this."

Megatron is not available as a Walther P-38 for legal reasons. Thus, tank. "if not available otherwise" - that matches my preference, not my rule. There is no 'rule' here, just my own subjective guidelines that I'm using and sharing with fellow fans to try to enjoy the hobby together.
    Ironhide and Ratchet, which you remarked: "They’re gonna be really disappointed when they find out Ironhide and a ratchet have heads now. Or that the jumpstarters don’t just flip open to transform." It's not realistic to expect a diaclone toy to remain a mech-suit for diaclone drivers given the original G1 cartoon. So, I don't expect that. I would expect, however, that the robot mode in such a case to match the animation model, and the vehicle mode to match the original toy or the original cartoon. I did say "modernized versions of G1 characters."

Similarly, I don't nor did I ever expect jumpstarters to retain the jumpstart gimmick, or Battlechargers, or Throttlebots. That's not realistic given modern articulation.

Then you said: "All of them are fine. I love my modern collection. This is definitely not an objective list. A lot is left out."

Given that on that day, I had not finished the list, yes, a lot was left out at that point. I'm one man, doing this research, between work, on-call, work colleagues being in town and having to entertain them, spending time with my wife, so, I could very well have missed things. But I would extend that kind of grace to a fellow fan that they have a life outside of this forum and this fandom that maybe things can slip through the cracks.

Then you posted your objectively objective list. Well done. Please do create a thread, and have it list every single modernized version of every single Transformer, with little headmasters of G1 characters who haven't had a modern release in over 30 years. Feel free to post your own preferences and share them with others who will enjoy them along with you. The fandom and fiction are expansive enough that we can all have our own opinions on what the best versions of characters are.

Then, you post: "I’m confused, are you going for a cartoon or toy perspective? Cause you have toy exclusive characters and cartoon exclusive characters. You have cartoon characters in toy decos. I am lost."

I'm going for my own perspective. I do have toy-only characters like Whirl and Roadbuster. I wanted the toys growing up, and wanted to see them in the cartoon, rather than seeing every single episode have Bumblebee all the time; I wanted all the toys in the cartoon so I could see them in action. I include Arcee because she was integral to the G1 cartoon in my opinion and she now has a toy that captures the spirit of the original. That was my Transformer experience growing up with G1. Your experience may be different, and that's okay. And in the 1986 post, I did include both versions of Galvatron and Cyclonus, because I wanted to. I like the toy deco and I like the cartoon deco of each.

After those, you did make some helpful posts which I then added into the lists I made. I am one man, and I am not perfect. My research in this thread might be missing stuff, which I freely admit. If I may say so, some of your posts did not come across in the way you may have meant them. They came across as more nitpicky and critical than helpful. When typing in front of a keyboard, it is easy to forget there is another human across the screen reading what we are typing and text can lose something in translation. Hopefully you have a good night.

6. Hobart Paving

Hobart Paving I would prefer not to.

I was joking and being lighthearted, apologies if that didn't come across.

7. JJohnson

No worries. Unfortunately text can rob the tone we intend sometimes. Hopefully you have a great day.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JJohnson

I do prefer the cool translucent parts showing the mechanical bits underneath too. The Studio Series updates are great, but they're a bit too cartoon-oriented for my taste.

I'd certainly prefer him to look more G2 with a tank chest, but unfortunately a repaint is quicker and more cost efficient to the company. G2 Megatron was pretty awesome.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  9. JJohnson

I do have to say I enjoy my nice G2 voyager Megatron next to my G2 Ramjet. I would like to get Sandstorm next, and I do wish they'd have G2 Starscream and possibly include a cartoon voicebox accessory (I know that's a longshot though). Isn't Netflix Prime the G2 deco?

• Like Like x 1