G1 Metal plates version OP please help me identify

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by luxingji, Jul 25, 2014.

1. luxingji

luxingji Member

Hi
    I got this AFA graded metal plates OP, but it is some different form other metal plates version. So please help me identify which version it is, Thanks a lot.
    here is two pics say the different of my OP:

[​IMG]

I saw a pic at TFsource is a metal version OP with the plastic version's tractors, but my tractors also different form other plastic version's(and it is no Rub-Sign):

[​IMG]

So, is it a real one ? where it come form ? hope you can tell me any thing :) 
    [​IMG]

2. khopson

khopson Well-Known Member

What does the AFA label say? If it's a variant, it will usually say in the description.

3. luxingji

luxingji Member

Just say metal plates

Khopson, I saw your metal plates OP at your collections pics, it is like yours, the metal trailer with a normal tractor and without rub-sign.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  4. khopson

You probably can't see it in the collection picture, but my Prime does have the two lines on the door. Anyway, I'm curious why your piece is different.

5. luxingji

luxingji Member

I saw your OP pipe connection part to robot arms is a column, which as same as mine. but the two lines on the door, I think maybe is a factory error, I am not sure about that so I hope some one can give me more information .

6. Huffington

Huffington Banned

Calling Maz!

Hopefully he'll be along and can clarify

7. khopson

Yeah. I always await Maz's arrival on stuff like this. I'm sure others can help, but he tends to be my go-to-guy on these matters.

8. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

It could be that because its an AFA Qualified Prime, that somebody switched out tractors before they sent it in for grading?

9. khopson

I was thinking about that, but is it in fact a Qualified piece? I'm not sure if the poster disclosed this. Also, I'm not sure what specifications fall under a Qualified piece. It seems to me that the AFA would notice something like this, so if it was a matter of the cab being switched out, I don't know if they would have graded it.

10. luxingji

luxingji Member

Maybe, because the AFA has mistake sometimes. I got an AFA 85 G1 mirrage MISB, the AFA said it is no rub-sign. But I find the rub-sign on the bottom of the car:) 

11. luxingji

luxingji Member

Hi please look at my OP is pipe's connection parts on the first picture, your OP pipe's connection parts is it a cylinder too ? I can't see clearly on your collection pictures but I heard there really has some normal edition tractor with metal plates during 80's to sell. A friends told me maybe my tractor is a 'try out edition' for shop and it is with plastic plates, this result is base on a picture, which tractor haven't two line on the door, but we are not surely because the picture is not clearly and we don't know if there has metal plates with this tractor. Even we don't know whether it is a factory error.

I don't think this tractor is replace by last keeper not only he has over 2K feedback and 100% positive, but also if he replace a first edition tractor will more easily passed AFA grade and sell(it can easy to buy a loose one),but this is the normal edition tractor and I am sure it is not a KO.
    The hardest part to grade AFA Q is the unused accessories of the metal plates OP (AFA Q need it is unused and not fall of the tree), it is hard to find and easy to identify. I don't think AFA grader can make that mistake.

Hope we can get answers from MAZ, but I don't has his connection way.

12. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I am confident Maz will offer his expertise.

13. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Optimus Prime variations are a complete, un-rivalled f**king nightmare, that's my assessment.

One thing I know, is that this toy was produced in huge numbers in a lot of countries and multiple factories, and for a long time. Production of this toy would never have completely ceased, with the makers having time to switch out old moulds and iterations, then proceeding to restart manufacture with new moulds. that's not how I see it.

There are a lot of transitional variants in G1 Transformers, and especially in the pre-rub to rubsign period. You get rubsigns in pre rub boxes and you see toys with copyrights befitting of pre rub toys but sporting rubsigns.

Ceji Joustra Diaclone Battle Convoys with metal plate trailers were being sold in Transformers boxes in Europe in 1985, with rubsigns and hand-altered trailer stickers where the diaclone bit was removed and the Autobot stripe motif added.

At the same time that Hasbro had the square-connector DIaclone-style cab that we all expect to see with metal-plates Prime on store shelves, another factory was releasing the pre rub light-blue trailer/Roller Prime with the updated cab like in your specimen. What I am saying is that even at the very START of the G1 TF era in 1984, early pre rub immediately after release of the line in the US, the round-connector Prime cab was in production at some facilities. So, it is completely conceivable that an updated cab could have ended up with a metal plates trailer, and you do have a TM box, but it has the white borders on the 3 stock images so it is not the very FIRST type of box.

I have not personally seen this mix of trailer and cab before in US pre rub packaging, but I think it's perfectly possible, and if there are zero signs of tampering, unsealing, tape replacement or other shady crap, I'd take it at face value. If it has been opened, I think that leaves it open to all sorts of authenticity issues.

We are still discovering transitional variants and releases we never saw before 30 years on, so I cannot be completely skeptical.

I'd also like to say congratulations on a beautiful Optimus Prime :) 

All the best
    Maz

14. luxingji

luxingji Member

Thanks a lot, another question is my tractor is no rub sign and without two line on the door, don you have any information on this ?
    My toy is AFA QUALIFIED it is means 'second hand' grade scale ? The toy is mib, one box side is opened, so.... Do you think it is real ?

15. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Regarding your first question, I just looked at my pictures of the earliest cab I have seen WITHOUT square connectors, and it still has those 2 lines.

Considering it has been opened, well I would just say that it's not something that I would ever be able to 100% say is a genuine variation.

In North America, metal plates were only seen on 1984 pre rub Optimus Primes, and more often than not in boxes without white borders on stock images.

I am leaning more towards "no" than "yes". The only way I can see yours being 100% authentic is if this is the very last US Prime to have a metal plate trailer in mid to late 1984, where the cab was into its later iteration without the two lines under the window, without the square connector and without the vertical raised line next to the smokestack on the shoulder. It's possible I guess, time for everyone to check every Optimus Prime auction and find more proof :) 

EDIT: I just looked at a rubsign cab I had a while ago, and even THAT had the two cab lines. Weird. I truly hate Optimus Prime variants.

All the best
    Maz

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014