Heavy/Scratch: G1 Masterpiece Cybertron Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Sam, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Thanks dudes!
    Yup he does look weird without a backpack, but it sure is nice to give him that full waist swivel. Not sure if I'll be able to maintain that on the finished version though, will post a small update with new thoughts soonish :thumb 

• Like Like x 3
  2. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Oh wow, Sam, this is a cool project! I'm really excited to see you doing this and I'm looking forward to watching your progress. It's amazing that you not only found a model kit that gives you some good parts, but that it's also the right size!

Also interesting about the similarities between Bumblebee's alt mode and that flying sub design. Nice homage discovery!

I've thought for a while that it would be cool if TT made a series of Cybertron mode Masterpiece figures, after the G1 crew is complete of course. Just the ones seen in the opening of MTMTE (and maybe an Orion Pax as well). This kitbash of yours will be the next best thing! :) 

• Like Like x 2
  3. Zystem

Zystem Active Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Cool idea dude. Looking forward to see how you tackle your MP Cybertronian Bumblebee ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    You are one brave....................:eek: 

• Like Like x 1
  5. loof

loof hungry AND thirsty for plastic

............piece of bread

• Like Like x 1
  6. Arie

Arie One Man Army

News Credits:
    Definitely option 2, the wings look much better that way, more like in the cartoon. Will watch this thread @Sam, curious about the result.

• Like Like x 3
  7. ThunderDestron

ThunderDestron Vast predatory bird

Option 1 looks better too me because of how the top flows, but I do agree the wings in option 2 look more cartoon accurate.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I actually agree with both of you, but ultimately I feel the concave top is more important than the downward pointing angle, in particular because in later shots the downward angle is not particularly pronounced:

upload_2020-6-24_13-40-13.png
    upload_2020-6-24_13-40-27.png
    upload_2020-6-24_13-40-39.png
    upload_2020-6-24_13-40-50.png

Not hugely noticeable in the character model either

[​IMG]

I'll see how I feel as I'm making the first cuts, but that's my inclination at the moment.

• Like Like x 9
  9. Blacktaurus

Blacktaurus Well-Known Member

Any update on this one?

• Like Like x 5
  10. Anti Spark

Anti Spark It'S DUB Or Nothing!

News Credits:
    Bump.

• Like Like x 2
  11. jimsloth

jimsloth Well-Known Member

This looks like a great start!
    I found one of those kits in a local comic shop a little while back and was tempted to pick it up for a project like this... But lack time and already have too many stalled projects.
    What do you think of the official one they are making?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Gonna be putting in an order with HLJ soon for the Hobby Base joints I'll need to connect pieces together (now I'm back in a country which Japan can ship to!)

I'm waiting for this part to come back in stock though as I think it'll be perfect for the 'grill' at the front of the vehicle:

Duct Nozzle (Renewal)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gonna order a hobby saw from HLJ too as I need something to make precision cuts in this model kit

Bumps always appreciated, thanks pal :thumb  I need all the reminders and encouragement I can get :lol 

Thanks! That's it, though I think that one might be a bigger scale model kit based on the size of the box.

I think the official one is fantastic! I'm hoping to steal some ideas from it. I'll probably pick up two copies, and if the scale works I may even use the exact pieces from it (particularly the windshield and roof).
    I was already planning to use Bee's chest as the front of the vehicle mode, though I plan to still have glass at the bottom of his chest in robot mode, and the grill in vehicle mode only somehow.

[​IMG]

Really great to see this vehicle finally getting a toy, but I'm still determined to make a Masterpiece version of it :wink: 

• Like Like x 5
  13. deadalertcorps44

deadalertcorps44 Well-Known Member

Hello from Diaprowl! I like what you got going on here. Are you going to give him a rolling function? I ask because personally, I would remove all the wheels and fenders. Model kits can be surprisingly demanding in terms of space. I would even consider taking parts of the saucer and attaching them to the feet as new heel pieces.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chris C137

Chris C137 Have some self respect. Take the QC sticker off.

News Credits:
    R.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  15. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    I'm not gonna remove the fenders on his feet but I'm definitely removing the wheels. Will I make him roll? Only if I can somehow fit some G1 sized wheels up in there somehow, but it's not a priority. He does have wheels, as we see when a wheel goes flying off him when he takes damage, but I'm not too worried about making the underside toon accurate.

Yup that's what I'm thinking, the saucer will be cut up and parts of it will be his heels, parts of it will be in his backpack. It's one of the things I love about MP-45, it already has kibble in those areas so my custom won't look out of place compared to the regular version!

I won't let you down, master....

• Like Like x 7
  16. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    So thanks to the wonderful @WildBill I was able to secure a copy of Buzzworthy Origins Bumblebee from the US. Thanks so much Bill!

Amazingly, Origins Bumblebee is almost exactly the same size as the model kit I was working with. Very pleasant surprise! I still believe I can make this work, and now I have the exact right shapes for the alt-mode so no compromises will need to be made. Fantastic!

IMG_7846.jpg IMG_7848.jpg IMG_7849.jpg IMG_7850.JPG

My only small problem with the Origins Bumblebee is the gaps in the windscreen, I'll try to fill them with putty but they won't be able to be translucent. Also while taking it apart a crack developed in the windshield, which is ok but I was expecting to buy at least two copies and am still on the look-out for another copy, if anyone else can help!

So I think I can make the roof of vehicle mode work as a backpack, while hopefully still allowing waist articulation

IMG_7854.jpg

It will be possible to use MP-45's chest for the front of the vehicle mode, I'll just have to fill in the gap a little bit from the Origins parts

IMG_7852.jpg

I'll also be removing more material from that front panel closer to the windshield, since MP-45's chest is a lot taller than Origins Bumblebee's. Things line up quite nicely and I believe I'll be able to use the same forearm trick to form part of the back of the vehicle mode (the part that is formed with Origins Bumblebee's crotch).

IMG_7858.jpg

Overall I'm so amazed to have a real Cybertronian Bumblebee alt-mode, and I'm more motivated than ever to make it into a working Masterpiece! I think the MP-45 design is made for this.

IMG_7851.jpg

Certain parts will end up inside the chest in robot mode, and I'll happily put parts on the heels if I need to. I'm still not sure if I'll cover the headlights on the feet, since the regular robot mode for MP-45 also should have hidden them but didn't.

I'll have to figure out a new waist articulation joint that also allows the pelvis to fold back into the body, because there's no way to get the angle of the chest correct and still have the pelvis directly under it. I'm in the process of choosing the Hobby Base parts I need to order from HLJ. Still no luck on a restock of the Duct Nozzle parts so I'll have to wait and see about that.

So yeah, if anyone else has a lead on getting another copy of Origins Bumblebee sent to Ireland I'll be happy to pay :thumb 

• Like Like x 25
  17. rumble619

rumble619 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looking forward to seeing this finished. Great work on this build!!

• Like Like x 6
  18. Chris C137

Chris C137 Have some self respect. Take the QC sticker off.

News Credits:
    Hnnngggg I love this project so much.

Origins Bee being the right size as well... It was meant to bee...

• Like Like x 8
  19. deadalertcorps44

deadalertcorps44 Well-Known Member

I'm curious to see how this plays out. The fact that you're fitting a smaller deluxe shell over a larger figure is already challenging as is. I'm sure you'll be able to pull it off though!

• Like Like x 5
  20. jimsloth

jimsloth Well-Known Member

You can totally fill those gaps with clear plastic. Either file down some plexi sheet, or fill them with a clear epoxy, then use translucent blue paint. Or you could use resin, and they make blue tint for the catalyst.

• Like Like x 2