G1 Jazz i.d. help

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by rbarron64, Jun 21, 2013.

1. rbarron64

rbarron64 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hello everyone, got a question. i have a G1 jazz and am trying to figure out which release i have. he is in GREAT shape if he is a vintage toy, light scuff on windshield, chest is a little floppy. other than that VERY minor scuffing. heres a description, pics to follow.
    stickers:
    -"4" racing stripe on hood. no autobot symbol or rubsign
    -"4" martinii stickers on door
    -stripe on roof, NO MARTINII sticker on windshield
    -no stickers on rear fenders or spoiler
    -no stickers on waist or legs
    mold:
    -wide feet, no deformed grin and silver visor.
    -stamped C takara co. ltd
    1980-1984 Japan

where there are missing stickers, there is no residue or uneven fading to indicate there were stickers there at one point. i know its possible they were never applied as well.

i think its a 1984 pre rub? if he is, whats he worth? i have his silver gun and shoulder launcher, no missiles. any help or confirmation would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. rbarron64

News Credits:
    Pics

Attached Files:

3. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

Looks like a pre-rub jazz. I'm pretty sure the Diaclones have the Takara circle stamp, and the late 84 and 85s have both the Hasbro and takara stampings. I think yours is either a pre-rub or some kind of European version.

Maybe Maz will see this thread and shed some light for us...

4. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Nice Jazz!

Could be one of a few things:

- Standard pre-rub G1 Transformers Jazz
    - Italian GiG Trasformer Porsche 935 Turbo
    - Joustra Diaclone Porsche 935

They pretty much share the same moulding and came off the same production run. Japanese Diaclone would have had TAKARA JAPAN in circle. It is more than likely a pre rub G1 TF that has not had the stickersheet labels applied. If you are certain that the launcher is the one that originally came packaged with this particular specimen, when you do finally get a missile see if it launches. If yes, it's either the GiG or less likely a Joustra, if it has a neutered launcher it's a pre rub G1 Transformers figure.

I'm sorry to say that the value of this one, due to a plethora of reissues, is not going to be super high loose. You've got a nice specimen, not yellowed and not broken. Enjoy it :) 

All the best
    Maz

5. khopson

khopson Well-Known Member

I have a pre-rub Jazz and Sunstreaker, both of which have the Takara Japan stamped inside the circle (no year or Hasbro stamp). I've been told these are the early '84 releases. They are technically Transformers but were they taken from the leftover Diaclone production (first issued Transformers)? I guess this question is directed at Maz, so I apologize if I'm derailing the thread. I feel like it relates to the initial post, which is why I ask. Thanks.

6. rbarron64

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info guys! Im not sure about the launcher being original but i dont believe it is. I found a website someone put up where he opens a joustra jazz. He has the same stampings as mine, but there is a faint circle outline, remnants from the old diacline takara stamp.

So on the original sticker sheet, the hood stripe and autobot emblem are 2 separate stickers?

7. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    You are mostly right there, although they are much more likely just produced from the Diaclone moulds instead of being repackaged toys. They are the first 1984 releases, or at the very least simultaneously released first with those variants created in other factories at the same time.

That website sounds like mine :lol  Was it TF-1.com ?

If your Jazz doesn't have the embossed circle on the other leg it's probably one step further along the evolutionary scale than mine. maybe it has a few "2" stamped here and there under the thighs, inside the arms, one the hands, maybe under the hood...awkward places like that?

That makes it even more likely to be a Transformers Jazz.

The hood stripe is a factory sticker, it was not on the sticker sheet. All Autobot logos were on the stickersheet. So yes, they are separate and the instructions are to place the Autobot sticker from the sheet on top of the hood stripe that's already there :thumb 

All the best
    Maz

8. khopson

khopson Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Thanks, brother!

9. rbarron64

News Credits:
    It was your site haha. Yea it must be a prerub with no stickers. I thought it was odd it had the racing stripe on the hood but no emblem, now that I know they are separate stickers it makes sense. Thanks for all your help!