G1 Galvatron's Voice

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by D-Unit, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Mentasm

Mentasm I check in, but I don't check out.

Well that's a given, but Welker's version is too far removed from the movie iteration for my tastes.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

This.

Kup is really the only one who had a celebrity voice in the movie who sounded the same on the show.

Actually the guy who did Wreck-Gar on the show was pretty good too, but I feel like, given the nature of the character, that’s not too difficult to pull off lol.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know if you'd consider Don Johnson a celebrity. I guess he was, lol. Although I'm not sure how many 8 year olds were that interested in Miami Vice.

On a side note, I just found out Chris Latta (Starscream) played Gung Ho on GI Joe. I had no idea about that one. Cobra Commander, sure. But Gung Ho? Was that closer to his normal voice?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Shows like Miami vice Was huge with kids in the 80s

• Like Like x 3
  5. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    I was never really into Miami Vice.

• Like Like x 3
  6. ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was a kid in the 80s and I don't know anyone who played Miami Vice. I'm not saying it wasn't a popular show. I just don't think it was that popular with the under 10 crowd. So did you personally watch Miami Vice, or did you just hear that it was "huge with kids in the 80s?" And yeah, I know there was a Miami Vice lunchbox, but there was a damn lunchbox for everything.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Primeultra

I watched it like it was religion

In my area everybody want to be Tubs?

I want to have a pet alligator when I grew up

The smaller kids in the area would drive around their big wheels pretending it was a Lamborghini

Being a bit older myself , me and my friends would drive around in a car and reenact the scene from an episode in which were they were driving around listening to Phil Collins in slow motion and then hit the gas when the beat would pick up

8. Judgment Day

Judgment Day Energon Extractor No.533

Speaking as someone who was around 10ish pre and post TFTM, I had no interest in Miami Vice. Beyond cartoons, I was watching stuff like The Cosby Show, Family Ties, Small Wonder, etc. Being from Michigan, I also stayed up to watch stuff like Sanford and Son on WKBD followed by the Three Stooges if it was a Friday night. And WWF Wrestling. If it was a 1/2 day at school, I'm catching The Price is Right all day :) 

As far as Latta, he's had a couple of standup routines on the Tube (they must've been pulled or deleted)...so I'd say the likes of Gung Ho, Wheeljack sound "more like" his voice, but those characters had a bit more gruff to it. Sparkplug might be the closest "regular" character to his actual voice though. His brief work on Some Enchanted Evening on The Simpsons is probably the overall closest.

9. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

To me Nimoy brought nothing new. It was Megatron without the 'throat cancer' so to speak. Not bad, it was badass, but it was for another use. A use that would serve no purpose or have any meaning in S3.

And that was the point. I dont think Welker decided himself to tear his throat apart eh?

10. Primeultra

I’m sure Frank could’ve done a great approximation of Nimoy's Galvatron......

But much of the evidence I seen suggest that Frank had done his recordings for the opening of season three before Nimoy had done any of his work

It’s also my understanding that Frank as trying to portray Galvatron as what he felt a “younger” and crazy Megatron would have sounded like

After all, Galvatron was is a revitalized Megatron drunk on a higher level of power With questionable mental damage

• Like Like x 1
  11. Imperator

Imperator Be like Optimus, wear a mask.

A lot of the time if a voice actor feels their impression of a different voice is not close enough for their liking, they'll intentionally take it in a different direction. That way they can do their own spin on a character, give it a range of inflections and emotions that suits their own voice better, rather than constantly trying to match the previous voice and sounding flat because of it.

That said, I'd love to have seen a 4th or 5th season where Galvatron regains his sanity and the high-pitched screech dies away.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Primeultra

Never mind I miss read your post

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  13. M Alex

M Alex Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm in a minority here: with all my respect and admiration for Frank Welker (his Megatron IMO is the definitive Megatron, plus the work he did in other media... including Slimer!) I dislike his Galvatron. This is the only case in which I prefer the movie voice from the one in season three (in other cases I like both, but I kinda am drawn to the series> Angel's Magnus, Carmel's Cyclonus, Gautier's Rodimus - and I've always loved Rodimus, his doubts and lack of faith in himself was something which kinda struck a chord for me as a kid).

• Like Like x 1
  14. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

Well, there's always the Omni dub of Headmasters. ;) 

• Like Like x 6
  15. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

What do you mean? It's not like Frank was doing the exact same voice he did for Megatron. That would of been much different than movie Galvatron. Frank Welker's Galvatron is pretty similar to Leonard Nimoy's Galvatron. I never even noticed they switched voice actors till I looked at the credits.

The only major change in how his voice sounds is that Frank Welker played up Galvatron's insanity. He seemed to have been driven insane from having Unicron's voice in his head and whatever that red light was doing to him during the movie. Leonard Nimoy played him more straight, he was oddly more like Megatron when he wasn't voiced by the same actor as Megatron. He didn't sound like Megatron but he acted more like him.

16. Terrellatron

Terrellatron REPAIR REPAIR REPAIR

News Credits:
    He does sound like Nimoy here! I guess he is just making his voice sound more deranged and insane

• Like Like x 2
  17. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Frank Welker's Galvatron is an acquired taste.

I used to prefer Nimoy's Galvatron because it sounded deeper. Now I like both, because they both fit the character of Galvatron in his given role. Be it Unicron's servant in the movie, or the insane leader of the Decepticons in S3. Rewatching Season 3 later on and coming to appreciate the little character arcs and shifts in tone and concept, I found Welker's Galvatron actually really well done. He is genuinely funny and threatening at the same time, and not even in an unintentional way. Like you can tell they had fun with Galvatron. Fuck, every writer probably had a blast writing Galvatron. And Welker hamming it up to make him this high pitched insane maniac that is so much worse than Megatron due to his instability, yet almost pitifully hopeless in his insanity.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Revoticus

Revoticus Big Combaticon fan

86 Movie voice - reborn Megatron high on power.
    Season 3 - damaged and insane Galvatron.
    Rebirth - slightly less shouty Galvatron.
    Omni dub - Galvatron after the Matrix cured his sanity.

This is my take on Galvatron's voice and I like them all, yes even the Omni dub.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    His 86 movie voice will always be cool, but his season 3 voice will never fail in cracking me up. :lolol  :lolol 

• Like Like x 2
  20. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

Honestly, I was never a fan of the TFTM celebrities because I found their performances were either incredibly bland and flat or they were miscast. Leonard Nimoy falls under the latter category for me. I always thought of Galvatron as a rejuvenated Megatron who can't cope with his power and honestly, if I were to pick a celebrity actor for him, it would be Malcolm McDowell:

Again, if Leonard Nimoy had played an ancient character (heck, he was well cast as Sentinel Prime), I wouldn't complain, but as Galvatron, he never worked for me.

Frank Welker is definitely more engaging and entertaining as well as fitting IMO. I feel that the lack of rasp really gives Galvy a sense of rejuvenation that should be on the character, and the writing really helped him a whole lot (to the point where I prefer Galvatron much more than Megatron). So yeah, I feel like the season three actors did a much better job in bringing characters to life than the celebrities and Frank is no exception. And honestly, it's the season three actors that I imagine whenever I read the Marvel comics.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021 at 9:15 AM
    • Like Like x 1