G1 Galvatron's Voice

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by D-Unit, Aug 10, 2019.

1. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Was just wondering this, I didn't see any threads about it. It always seemed strange to me that after the 1986 movie, when the third season continued the story, most of the characters who were voiced by celebrities now had new voice actors that sounded similar to how the characters sounded in the movie...except Galvatron. Frank Welker's Galvatron sounded nothing like Leonard Nimoy's Galvatron. It was always weird to me as a kid. I know some have said his voice changed from being stuck in the lava, but that explanation never did it for me. Just seemed odd, he was the only one that sounded nothing like his movie coutnerpart

• Like Like x 9
  2. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

It was a strange choice.

I think it works well enough especially since most of the cons had growly or bassy voices at that stage, for someone on their side to have some higher pitched tones.

Frank Welker, even if the voice itself could be better tuned for the character, always delivered it with believable passion, blood red rage, twitching paranoia. The guy sounds absolutely psychotic, not just regular 'zany' like say Skeletor or Cobra Commander.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 22
  3. StArS cReAm

StArS cReAm Daytonaaa! Let's go away!

"Who do we fire at?"
    "E V E R Y B O D Y!" I couldn't see that from Nimoy sounding Galvatron. It fits the insane Ray voice Welker used.

• Like Like x 19
  4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    One thing to keep in mind is that nothing was done in a chronological order and in a clear path as to how it aired. Season 3 was worked on before the movie was finished, Movie designs and to minor degrees even the scripts were changing often, so the order that we were exposed to them wasn't necessarily the order they were made or chosen in.

It's been mentioned in several commentaries, Five Faces of Darkness from season 3 was actually complete before the Movie was (which is also why some of the characters have an earlier character models and colorations instead of the finished versions), and Welker's Galvatron was recorded first, but because of the idea of big name draws, Nimoy was movie Galvatron. As I recall it was Flint Dille talking about being at a meeting with Nimoy, who thought he'd have to audition for the character and even that once he learned someone else was already doing the voice that he'd have to mimic it and was surprised when he learned they just wanted him to do his own thing and he already had the part, just had to agree to it.

Dille and others have mentioned that Dark Awakening (episode 8) was just finished when the Movie hit theaters.

Just to get some idea, the movie started production after season 1, before Season 2 had aired (which is probably why the movie had the coneheads and the triple changers, but not combiners, since the triple changers and coneheads were early season 2 products). Season 3 started as soon as Season 2 ended, but before the movie was finished.

• Like Like x 21
  5. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh yeah, I liked the voice, just thought it was weird that it was the only one that didn't sound even remotely similar. As a kid, I barely noticed the other characters having different voices but that one stood out.

Huh, never knew that, very interesting. Thanks for the info

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    Truly, the best G1 Galvatron voice is from the Omni Productions dub of Headmasters:

• Like Like x 17
  7. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

I have watched the Omni dub of Headmasters so much more than season 3 of the Sunbow cartoon, that the Omni dub voice "actor" for Galvatron is the voice I most associate with Galvatron.

• Like Like x 4
  8. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Galvatrons voice both on the movie and post movie is as it should be. It representes the dihotomy of states in his mind perfectly.

Welkers voice acting is superb to convey that dihotomy. One will be hardly pressed to find a voice actor that convey such a thing at that tone, consistently without tearing his throat appart. There was little rationale left to him after the plasma accident. And if you are carefull the very few times he was somewhat stable, he was voicing him with a far more calm tone.

• Like Like x 11
  9. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

On a related note, when Galvatron's voice changed after Unicron built him from Megatron, given that he was rejuvenated I often wondered if the Galvatron voice was what Megatron sounded like when he was younger.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

L.I never felt the season 3 voice actors for those characters sounded all that similar to the film actors at all

With Kup being the exception, I felt they all sounded very different

• Like Like x 6
  11. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Magnus was Stack all the way, wasnt he? I never realised any huge different to be honsest.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

No sir
    Magnus was voices by Jack Angel in season 3, Jack also voiced Omega Supreme, Astrotrain, Breakdown and Cyclonus in at least 1 episode

Personally I felt there was a very big difference between Stack and Angel.....but I was a very big fan Of the untouchables so I can point out his voice very easily

• Like Like x 6
  13. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I liked the voice and agree with you, it just always struck me as odd he was the only one that sounded nowhere close to his movie self.

14. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I always just headcanon'ed Galvatron's voice being one of the main things damaged by being submerged in lava for as long as he was, along with his mind, to justify the change. That said, I liked both growing up, though I would have loved to have heard Nimoy acting out some of Season 3 Galvatron's crazier moments.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sixwing

Sixwing You have chosen poorly

I never even noticed until I saw this thread. It may be because I watched S3 before the movie.

16. Sweep

Sweep worse then vehicon drones

I was wondering if Welkers Galvatron was an Homage to Paul Fries. S3 Galvatron kinda sounds like a Rankin Bass villain. I wonder if they ever worked together?

• Like Like x 1
  17. JBSpino

JBSpino Not-So-Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Not going to lie, I hated Welker's Galvatron voice as an idiot kid because it was so irritating. I actually watched the movie first, so I was used to Nimoy. But as a smart adult, I appreciate it for being Megatron, but different. Y'know, as it should.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Judgment Day

Judgment Day Energon Extractor No.533

Interestingly enough, there is actually a 3rd variant of Galvatron's voice done by Frank Welker to promote the toy alongside Ultra Magnus. The commercials originally aired as a standalone and were eventually used to promote the movie. This is also the only instance (that I know of) where Welker's Megatron actually mentions Galvatron by name.

All things considered, I like it. Hard to say why it was changed or if there was any inkling on what the voice was eventually going to become at the time.

• Like Like x 9
  19. Mentasm

Mentasm I check in, but I don't check out.

I'm really not a fan of Welker's Galvatron. Far too screechy for my liking, especially after the gravitas Nimoy brought to the role. I appreciate that they kept him on, but it would have been better if someone else took over the mantle of Galvatron and Welker voiced other characters.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Well I doubt they could continue to pay Nimoy and Welker is a freaking legend in his own right. He's voiced several generations of people's childhoods. All of Hasbro's big 3 got celebrity voice actors for their movies right? The Joe film is the only one I've not seen, so I don't know.

• Like Like x 4