G1 Galvatron, an individual?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lovecraft, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

Do you consider Galvatron in the G1 comics/cartoon to be his own wholly unique individual with only bits of Megatron's memories or do you view him as a true evolution of Megatron as a character taking his twisted perspective to the extreme?

Or do you think it's both?

2. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    In both the Marvel comics and the Sunbow cartoon, Galvatron is Megatron reborn, being everything that Megatron was but taken to the absolute extreme. He isn't really a separate entity from Megatron, but more of an evolution of the character.

• Like Like x 14
  3. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hes megatron reborn

4. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

I've preferred separate characters. They have different goals, personalitie, visions. Plus... Hasbro can't bother to replace Megatron.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Hail Galvatron

Hail Galvatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At TFCon 2016, Flint Dille was asked about this, he wrote TF:TM and he was confused by the question. But said that Galvatron is the same individual as Megatron. Same memories, same soul... I think he once compared it with Gandalf the Grey and Gandalf the White.

• Like Like x 9
  6. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Megatron amped up to 11.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Bluestreak 's #2 Fan

In transformers the movie, I see no difference between Megatron and Galvatron personality wise. He didn't become crazy until season 3 proper so I'd say something between the movie's premiere and season 3's first episode happened to change his mentality. Looking it up, it seems a lava bath was responsible for Galvatron's insanity.

8. gibdozer

gibdozer Censored

Nah, Megatron was submerged in lava at the end of season 1, if it didn't hurt Megs it couldn't hurt Galvy. I know it's not official but my head cannon says he went crazy because he was overwritten with Galvatron. The other decepticons were dead when they were reformated, Megatron was alive and very conscious. You can't make a faustion bargain and not pay the price afterwards.

• Like Like x 7
  9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I like this explanation.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

Exactly, and exactly how I prefer Galvatron. Without being the evolution of Megatron's character, Galvatron doesn't feel quite as special or interesting.

• Like Like x 4
  11. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    In my head cannon Galvatron is a clone of Megatron. But that's because I wanted both characters around at the same time. Kind of like Nemesis Prime being a clone of Optimus.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    To me he is Megatron, but his personality changed so far that he has become a different individual.
    Like 50 year old you is a different person from 10 year old you in a lot of ways. But with Galvatron the change was instantly.
    That's also how I see Cyclonus and Scourge.

• Like Like x 6
  13. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    I can accept that. :) 

• Like Like x 3
  14. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

I think of G1 Galvatron as Megatron after a traumatic brain injury. So he's still the same guy (as Astrotrain helpfully points out) with the same memories, but has had his personality completely altered by Unicron's reformatting process. You know the story of poor Phineas Gage, who survived a railroad spike to the brain that ended up dramatically altering his personality? Unicron was the spike through Megatron's brain.

I actually have a different head canon for Cyclonus and Scourge, though (that's pretty unsupported by anything other than my own musings). I don't think of those characters as being just Thundercracker and Bombshell (or Skywarp if you prefer) in new bodies. I think of them as distinct characters essentially built from scratch using the Decepticons' bodies as raw material. And (here's where the personal spin comes in) I like to think that they are actually pre-existing designs Unicron had in his database... perhaps ancient Transformers that had served him in the past, now reincarnated. To me that's why they seem to have completely individual personalities; you never get the sense that Scourge has Thundercracker's memories, or anything. It's also why they have the pre-established roles of Warrior and Tracker.

So it's like Unicron gave Megatron a new lease on life, and brought back two of his old servants to act as support staff (and maybe to keep him in line).

Again, this isn't supported by anything... and may indeed be refuted by something. It's just pure head canon for me. :) 

• Like Like x 10
  15. ThrustJan

ThrustJan Well-Known Member

In toon he mantains memories. Better as separate, Galvatron is a better Tf's on both modes for me and his savagery but with him being sane, and looking, are perfect for a Tf that was created from a barbaric Cybertronian region, a worser place that old Cybertron or mines where IDW Megatron worked.
    Even IDW has something similar for him.

I'd think that has same face because he could have been created using design of Megatron but only an appearance, inside he's a completely new character and If he'd meet Megatron wouldn't neither care about these problems except, maybe be amused for their similarity.

16. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly, that is how I see him as well. I don't like the thought of him being just Megs in a new body, I think his personality changed as well. I think he would have been confused because he has Megatron's memories, but does not feel a connection to those memories.

I like to think this is a better explanation for Galvatron's angst in episodes like Web World than his immersion in a lava bath.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  17. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Very interesting, I like the ancient TF spin. :)  (Though not the reincarnation aspect.)

I detest the term "head canon", seems somewhat insulting, derisive, "making $hit up in your head" and insisting it's canon.

What you're doing is providing an intriguing character idea, to fill a storytelling vacuum left by the show and writers. It's no different than somebody like IDW coming in years later, and telling their ideas.

I've especially always been fond of the "What If?" type stories as well.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Well it really wasn’t lava

They called it “plasma” and it was from a different planet....so we don’t know it’s Properties in Paoli could affect any transformer submerged in it for a long time

There’s also the factor of being violently separated from his connection to Unicron when he was destroyed to consider
    i could see that if, like the others, Galvatron behaved differently in the film when he was first reformatted

But as others have mentioned, there was no difference between M and G in the movie....other then voice
    Marvel did that with Time Travel

iHi see the change aI see the being the reI see ths I see the personality change as being the result of both physical and emotional trauma

But scourge and cyclonus are complete different situations

19. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's his own character. Galvatron might have Megatron's consciousness and memories, but he's much more brutal and impulsive and detached from his prior self. He's a revision of Megatron more than a character development.

20. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I believe galvatron is just megatron with a new body and new side-arm gun. That's how I've always thought what galvatron is.