G1 Fortress Maximus Restoration - should I do it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Strife, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm considering restoring my G1 Fortress Maximus. Before I get into it, let me offer some background.

Back around the year 2000 and 2001 I started to get into Transformers again in a big way for the first time since my Childhood. In the age of BW/BM, pre RID, pre Unicron trilogy, for us folks who liked the G1 characters, our only option was original G1 figures (and before long, things like Heroes of Cybertron). Vintage Transformers were also worth less than they were now, and on early eBay, people didn't know what they were worth.

One of the things i did was try to complete figures I had growing up with parts I lost along the way. Often, the most economical option was buying parts lots. Around 2000 a lot of 80s kids were going to college and Moms and Dad's were selling their basement children toy bins. People had no idea what they had. In one of these parts lots, for $25, what was in it but a Cerebros (minus spike!). I knew instantly what it was, and scooped it up.

Not long after, I scopped up a surprisingly complete and in good shape Fortress Maximus body (pictured below). I never had Fortress Maximus growing up, but I always wanted him and having my first bit of money at the time, I took the dive on a $40 body.

So here he is:

[​IMG]

So what' she missing? I've cut it down into tiers, mostly to be based on prices:

Core Complete (Big robot)
    Left Ramp
    Right Ramp
    City mode front red ramp
    Left Leg Laser
    Right Leg Laser
    Tower mode window
    2x Hip cannons

Gasket/Grommet
    Gasket
    Gromet
    G&G Left and Right arm guns
    Small gun for Gasket/Grommet

Extended Completeness
    Cerebros Laser gun
    Dual Laser blaster
    Photon Rofile
    Radar Scope
    Sword
    Spike
    Toyhax Stickers.

Off Pure Ebay Prices, I can build Core Complete for about $190, almost all of it in the Ramps and Hip Cannons.

From there it gets considerable more expensive. The sum total cost of the rest of the pieces is about $400. I can take some shortcuts like a Spike KO and a sword KO. But some parts, like Cerebros' gun, are just expensive.

Right now, if I do this, I'm thinking of just going for the Core Complete mode he'll be displayed in, in a detolf with Toyhax stickers, and build the rest of it little by little over time.

The question is... should I do this? Is it worth it anymore?

Looking at his body, he's in pretty good shape with a lot less yellowing than some other Fort Max's I've seen. He has his knuckle and forearm guns and covers, his shoulder window, his elevator and doors, his prison, his gun and side panels. There is a lot here. And the rest of the coloring is pretty good.

Looking at the detail of the body, I'm a bit confused as to what parts of him are yellowed and what parts of him are dirty (particularly on the legs). Is that all just ellowing? It almost looks like a paint wash was done to it. But clearly the contrast of the grey of the boots exterior and the part that the guns cover show the difference in coloring due to yellowing.

I've looked up how to de-yellow this, including Fortress Maximuses. Would that work on the grey parts that are yellow? I've never done anything like this before, but I'm pretty sure I could do it. I'm not too concerned about disassembling him.

In short, where I to do this the project would proceed in the following steps:

Step 1: Buy (wherever I can) the missing parts for "Core Complete", + Toyhax Stickers
    Step 2: Disassembling Fortress Maximus, remove all existing stickers.
    Step 3: Clean, de-yellow
    Step 4: Reassemble Fortress Maximus.
    Step 5: Apply Toyhax stickers.
    Step 6: Gradually add on the parts outside Core Complete (e.g. Spike, the Rifles, the Sword, Gasket/Grommet, etc).

So anyway... what do you think? A project worth the time and the money? Difficulty level? Also what are people's thoughts on the Toyhax Fortress Maximus big "addon set", in addition to repros of the original stickers. Like the look? Too gaudy?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. heltskelt

heltskelt Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    To me, it looks as if the previous owner had sanded those parts. The surface on those parts does not look smooth.

3. KraegorStark

KraegorStark Well-Known Member

YouTube (Custom URL):
    It's up to you. I think projects like this make you appreciate the figure more. My Omega Supreme was a project similar to this. I went through several tank units to get working electronics and intact cams plus all the parts he came with. After I finished, he became the pride of my collection.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Huktonfonix

Huktonfonix Well-Known Member

Your call. If you have the means, time, and love of the figure go for it! Fortress Maximus was my favorite as a kid and I recently managed to dig it up with all of the parts at my parents house. If you're worried about durability, FWIW my 8 year old and I have transformed it multiple times since and its held up well. Its still an awesome toy. Cant beat all the little play features. I've debated about trying to clean off the yellowing, but figured it wasn't worth the risk of further damage since everything is good right now.

5. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

I wonder if the previous owner had yellowing of the white plastic parts, and tried to "fix them" by sanding them down or something like that. The plastic in the yellowed areas looks different from that of the white areas.

It's going to be a labour of love, that's for sure. Given the parts you need, might it not be easier and more economical to try and find a TT re-release from Japan?

6. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I say go for it. You can start the project pretty much for free just by cleaning him up. Then add parts gradually as your budget allows. Post pics of your progress!

7. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Considering the condition of what you’re starting with and the fact that you can get the encore one for $350 from BBTS I’ll be the voice of dissent and say no. It’s absolutely not worth your time and money trying to drag a beat up old carcass to a presentable shape. Trying to reverse the yellowing alone would be enough of a hassle for me to just spend the $350 on a minty fresh figure and save my time.

One thing I’ve learned in years of collecting is that if you find something incomplete, don’t buy it if you’re not happy with it in its current condition because whatever is missing will inevitably cost several times over the initial investment.

• Like Like x 3
  8. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly. That's a no for me too.

9. Huktonfonix

Huktonfonix Well-Known Member

Good points! If this was a cherished childhood figure that you wanted to restore that might be a different story, but for one you happened to get on the cheap maybe get the encore and just use the old one to flip back and forth

• Like Like x 1
  10. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well i waited till Takara came out with the Encore Fort Max. I do agree it’s your call and your figure if you want to go for it, do it. Also the Encore one comes with that big sword. That was something the G1 figure did not come with.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

My childhood Fortress Maximus was missing a lot of parts. I looked over your list, and I only had a few more parts than you have. I determined that it was cheaper to buy a mostly complete Fortress Maximus and swap out the parts than to buy the parts individually.