g1 Characters that didn't get repainted? which ones?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SideSwipe82, Jul 14, 2014.

1. SideSwipe82

SideSwipe82 Well-Known Member

I know some G1 s1 s2 character molds got repainted/re deco. for example
    1)prowl=bluestreak=smokescreen.
    2)sideswipe=red alert
    3)grapple=inferno.
    4)jazz=richochet
    etc etc

basically these figures are 90% identical with some minor tweaks

back in the days..why wasn't there a sunstreaker, mirage or wheeljack repaint? or redeco?

2. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    Are we counting Diaclone here? I think we should.

3. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Technically, those early TFs are Diaclone re-decos, right? Along with those taken from other lines (Omega Supreme, Shockwave, etc)? I believe many of the year three and later TFs were never repainted in G1 (pre-G2), including off the top of my head Rodimus Prime, Springer, Galvatron, Wheelie, and most of the Headmasters and Pretenders.

4. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Sunstreaker, Trailbreaker, Mirage, Hound, Wheeljack, Tracks, and Skids were Autobot cars that had no repaints. Ironically enough, other than Hound's mold they had a lot of repaints in Diaclone, maybe they were tired of them or maybe there were issues with the mold that they didn't want to fix when they could just redeco other molds. There was no shortage of characters especially on the Autobot side, maybe they just didn't want to redeco every single mold when they already had more cars than anything else.

There could have been technical issues, we know that back then they didn't care much about preserving the dies once they thought they were done with a toy release. We know that they wound up losing some molds, and that some molds were irreparably damaged to the point where they had to rebuild and retool them for reissues, maybe some of the old Diaclone molds were damaged and they didn't bother fixing them when they could just repaint a Datsun or Porsche mold instead, or throw out the fire engine mold that we didn't see in the 84 wave. Trailbreaker and Sunstreaker didn't get e-hobby releases, I can't remember if Mirage and Wheeljack did, Tracks, Skids, and Hound did.

The Microchange molds didn't see much reuse either, Soundwave got his chest modified when he was released as Soundblaster, Reflector wasn't even a mainstream release, Megatron got some different deco releases much later, the other guns (Browning, Magnum) were hardly seen, Blaster and Perceptor got one repaint each. I doubt there were mold problems there since the Perceptor mold got a late e-hobby release, and the cassette molds got very used and abused.

Some of it was bound to be marketing decisions, an army of sports cars or jets is cool, an army of hatchback sedans and microscopes is pretty lame.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  5. Death333

News Credits:
    Kup and Wheelie did get repainted years later. Transformers Generation 1 Orion Pax with Dion Set - Takara - Transformers - Action Figures at Entertainment Earth Item Archive

Galvatron received a color update upon his rerelease.

I believe some of the Headmasters were released in different colors in JP but I could and probably am mistaken here.

6. Death333

News Credits:
    Hound was repainted into Detritus a few years back Detritus (G1) - Transformers Wiki

7. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Trailbreaker was repainted/remolded for G1 Hoist.

And other G1 molds not getting repainted during G1 or later:

*Swoop
    *Sludge
    *Scorponok
    *Sky Lynx
    *Shockwave (Astro Magnum was a non TF)
    *Springer
    *Sharkticon

....wow, that's alot of names starting with 's'

8. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I was editing at the same time - I tend to think of e-Hobby releases as something a little different, since their releases didn't get off the ground until G1 was already history. I figured the OP was talking about why the '85 or '86 releases didn't feature a repaint of every '84 bot. My guess would be either technical problems or just marketing decisions, or a little of both.
    Yep - don't know what I was thinking there, Hoist should have been obvious. That's what I get for not looking up the catalog :D 

..and Octane, Sandstorm, Broadside, etc. '86 was the jumping off point, we had gone crazy for Combiners and the movie killed off most of the '84 characters anyway, and other than the combiners, we were well into non-Diaclone/Microchange molds at that point. With Headmasters, Pretenders, etc all around the corner, I guess they felt that there was no need to go back to the well of Diaclone molds one more time. The brand's success probably meant that they didn't care about getting so much use out of a single mold anymore.

I think Sky Lynx was a toy licensed from someone else, like Shockwave and Omega were - those deals may have only covered one release. Scorpy got the retool into the notoriously fragile BlackZarak.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  9. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

10. SideSwipe82

Yes, I am referring to S1 and S2 (84 to 84 lines)NOT the later years ehobby or reissues. I kind of know that S3 didn't get much repaints cause the line was declining after the movie.

11. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    Oh dear god you couldn't be more wrong.

The line was hardly declining after 86, in fact it was hitting it's stride. transformers was successful enough to create it's own new molds and not have repaints.

A line in decline doesn't last for another 5 years. G1 did.

Repaints are not a sign of success. They're quite the opposite, being a cost saving exercise.

12. SideSwipe82

well maybe I am wrong but after the movie, I remember we just lost interest in a lot of s3 toys. A lot S3 toy molds were hideous compared to s1 and s2, looked as if the designer didn't put any effort into making them(for example s3 wheelie vs s1 bee, s1 op vs s3 rodimus bot mode).. maybe it was the space design, maybe it was the simple head/face sculptures, maybe it was the plastic.. etc etc.

13. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Post-1986, redecoes and retools were really the exception, not the norm. Takara released some toys in different decoes from the Hasbro version, but that's about it. When the line did start to decline, they opted for full lines of Micromasters and Action Masters, which used less plastic and were easier to tool, rather than smaller lines of more traditional Transformers that they could redeco a few times.

14. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    Maybe it's the fact that they were the first 'original' Transformers designed to be Transformers. They also had to work with the aesthetic being designed for the movie. the toys from 86 are actually rather faithful to earlier designs for the characters. It's a problem that you see with movie lines to this day where they have elements of older designs on the final toys.

I have to say I'm a big fan of quite a few of the 86 molds. Hot Rod is my favourite G1 toy, and Cyclonus is brilliant and has excellent articulation. Blurr is also pretty cool.

You have to remember that the combaticons, protectobots, Autobot cassettes also came out in 86. They're considered to be pretty good TF's right? I wouldn't use the cartoon as a measure of how successful the toyline was.

15. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Oh how I miss those days when we used to get entire years-worth of unique new molds, and repaints were few and far between.

It always disappoints me to see a mold reused two or three times (where not appropriate character-wise), almost as much as the clamouring that goes on for repaints from every figure that comes out these days. Kind of makes things less special.
    Yeah this. I know G1 began with a large amount of it, including many iconic characters. But although I accepted the fiction as a kid, I deliberately used to avoid buying repaints of a mold I already had, and would always prefer to put it towards the excitement of a completely different figure.

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    Yeah there really weren't THAT many G1 repaints. The Dcon Jets, the Datsuns, Ultra Magnus, Hoist/Trailbreaker and Inferno/Grapple were really the main ones. Compared to today where most molds get more than one use, repaints were relatively scarce back then.

17. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe tracks had a black lucky draw repaint as well as a red mail-in promo toy. Camshaft and Overdrive have never seen a repaint same with whirl and RoadBuster.

Shockwave comes to mind. as do some of the lesser known cassette bots n cons

18. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

There was talk at one stage of repainting Arcee from Blurr and Chromedome.

Personally I'd like to see Kick Off and Axer from Jazz and the Battlechargers from Tracks.

19. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    Has anybody mentioned Reflector?

20. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    why would they? Each of the individual Reflector team characters (Viewfinder, Spectro and Spyglass) were individual molds which were never repainted.