G1 Autobot Ark -- help with floorplan

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by unexpectedpanda, Apr 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unexpectedpanda

unexpectedpanda Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Howdy folks. I found it interesting I couldn't find a definitive layout of the G1 Ark anywhere (or at least its bridge), so decided to sketch something up.

I've put this together from around the first 10 episodes, and 2x10. Given animation errors, things flipping sides and so forth, it's taken a little while to get the pieces in place, but I figured if anyone knows better than me, and by heart, it's the people here.

Here's what I have so far:

[​IMG]

Feedback/corrections/additions welcome. And if you're really feeling friendly, with episode number and timecode :) 

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Shortwave

Shortwave Autobot fembot

Id love to help if i can

3. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

That exit you have marked makes no sense for when they are on Earth. It looks like the Exit/Entrance is at the back. It's under the ship. Somewhere on the belly. Because you can see the engines. It's clearly the back of the ship.

I always thought that Teletran 1 was in a rear/mid compartment of the ship and the Bridge/front of the Ark was to far buried in the Volcano. I don't recall seeing the bridge at all while it was in the Mountain. Of course I could very well be wrong since it's been awhile. But I was always under the impression it wasn't the bridge but the "Main room" or whatever that they were usually in.

4. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Did Optimus Prime's command got destroyed?

5. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

6. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Moderator

News Credits:
    Was the Ark the same type of shuttle used in the '87 movie? There might be some better shots of the interior there...I always thought that the Autobots expanded beyond the innards of the ship by excavating into the mountain a bit.

7. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

Nope, that's a completely different ship.

8. unexpectedpanda

News Credits:
    I agree, and have actually already mentioned the discrepancy on the diagram. It's one of the big things I'm seeking clarity on, although it's not the only thing to not make sense about the cartoon and could yet be another animation error.

The issue arises from the first episode where the Decepticon Nemesis boards the Ark: at the top of the ship, near where the exterior windows align with the front windows we've seen so far. They break in, the Autobots are right there. Later, Spike appears to enter and Soundwave leaves through this exit.

[​IMG]
    The outside of the Ark. The three front windows match the outcrop on top -- I've assumed this is the bridge.

[​IMG]
    Panning shot of the interior.

[​IMG]
    Decepticons board. Boarding tube doesn't seem to align with a passage for the next scene, but hardly the only animation error in the series. There's a door at the end too, which insinuates airlock given the proximity to the outside.

[​IMG]
    Autobots prepare. Side door in the tunnel could potentially be linked to one of the domes we see on the top.

You see the front (smashed) windows a few times the background post-crash. Later, Spike is seen entering and Soundwave exiting what looks like that side (along with the tunnel exit changing design multiple times).

[​IMG]
    Teletraan! You magically switched sides of the ship again! And have a slightly different design! And the command station is gone!

[​IMG]
    Front of ship, Teletraan in shot.

[​IMG]
    View from the front of the bridge, facing the rear door of the room, Teletraan I to the left.

[​IMG]
    View from the rear of the room in 1x27 "Enter the Nightbird".

The only ways around it I can think of:

1) There's a room that happens to have the same three-panel window config as seen on top the ship, but on the bottom. The Decepticons initially board the ship at the top, but we don't see them make their way down.
    2) There's an elevator down, and an exit path that includes a right angle out the ship that we never see. It could be the door on the right that we don't see behind, that presumably leads the dome we see the exterior. It's never shown because it's dull, and "like kids will notice, right?"
    3) Animation errors in the first episode mean Soundwave and Spike were meant to leave through rear of the room, and there's some epic ramp all the way down.

Ahhhhh, Enter the Nightbird. Interesting. Thanks, will go back to that and check it out :) 

Attached Files:

9. unexpectedpanda

News Credits:
    Ah interesting, I think I've seen where I've made my error. There appears to be another entrance at the top we don't see that often, which could be that side exit and I assumed it an animation error. From 1x02:

[​IMG]
    Spike writing his diary on an outcrop on the mountain.

[​IMG]
    He walks down to where Soundwave is hiding.

[​IMG]
    Then runs straight into the bridge. Doesn't appear to be the same entrance that's under the engines. Side note: if the Ark is on an angle, how are all the floors straight?

[​IMG]
    Later Spike and Trailbreaker leave perpendicular to Teletraan I... although that computer positioning on the left makes no sense if you consider previous images, as half the room is missing. Perhaps some post-crash reconfiguration that needs to be taken into account.

[​IMG]
    Soundwave and Ravage leave from what appears to be yet another exit (different tunnel design from the one the Decepticons breached in space, different door size to the one Spike/Trailbreaker leave from)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. unexpectedpanda

News Credits:
    Seemingly utterly vaporised in the crash, or somehow disappears in the four million year interim while everything else survives.

11. Mewtwo

That is very interesting stuff. It's obvious you've put a lot of time into this. I guess I never thought of the Teletran main room as being the "bridge". I guess it makes sense though. That WAS were everyone fell down inactive. I guess for some reason I never made the connect and just assumed Teletran being the main computer was just deeper in the ship somewhere in a "Main computer" room.

For that matter I never assumed that the entrance from the back lead right into the bridge or main room. I just assumed we never saw them walking down corridors and the scene would just change. I mean the Ark is supposed to be a huge ship right? It has multiple decks. It's not just one deck. It's not a shuttle or something right? I was always under the impression it was multiple decks too. So... I guess I just never assumed it was the "bridge" that was that main room in the show.

It would be cool to see the floor plans though. So if you get further along with your designs if you don't mind sharing them I would like to see. I like seeing things like floor plans and deck designs etc. :) 

12. unexpectedpanda

News Credits:
    The cartoon is so all over the place, it's hard to tell what's where :D 

You're definitely ahead of me there, I certainly made that mistake. According to TFWiki it has five decks. So I guess the bridge is deck 1?

Yep, will keep toiling away :) 

13. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, you've thought about this a lot more than I ever have. Good stuff.

For me, I always assumed that Teletraan-1 is the ship's brain, networked to every computer terminal in the ship, and the terminal we see them using throughout the series is not the one that was on the bridge. But your screenshots seem to confirm that they were on the bridge the whole time... I dunno, I always found it weird that they enter through the back of the ship and they're immediately on the bridge.

14. Mewtwo

Yeah Deck 1 would usually be considered the Bridge. Plus if what we see we can assume is the windows and is the bridge which is deck 1, then that would mean that is the narrower section on the top. So as it went down in decks they got wider, allowing for more corridors and rooms etc. But we also don't know how much of the impact broke up the ship. It seems from episodes like the Dinobot one that some of the ship is broken up and just ends in mountain walls. And like how it was just opened up into a chamber of the mountain where they found the Dino bones. So then there is that aspect too. Like how much of the ship is intact? I would assume though that a lot of if was intact, with maybe certain gashes and large holes on the sides. Maybe those side sections where damaged or ripped open. But I would think the main body should be relatively intact. Then again.. who knows. And I'm rambling on like and idiot. Sorry.

15. unexpectedpanda

News Credits:
    Not at all, it's great speculation :) 

16. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

In all likelihood you can;t make a functional floorplan/schematic for the ship.

Between animators that weren't actually putting much thought into things beyond "this will look good", animation errors and the ever-present Rule-Of-Cool, there really is no consistency with the Ark.

Even the shots from the first episode of the Autobots walking/driving out of the ship from that orange rectangular passage room *BELOW* the rear thrusters hardly make any sense unless that's some sort of permanently deployed freight elevator thing. And then there's that time the Constructicons, underground at the time, made a hole in the floor of the room Teletraan 1 is in. Somehow putting the bridge on the bottom of the ship. So yeah, more inconsistencies.

All we can possibly know
    The rear of the ship is visible, there's some sort of access passage below that. That may or may not be an actual part of the ship or later construction.
    Teletraan 1 (or one of multiple terminals) is located in the bridge, where the Autobots & Decepticons were fighting when the ship crashed.
    The ship is resting at at about a 30 degree angle (from the outside) but seems level inside.
    Has stalactites pushing through the ceiling of the bridge/Teletraan 1 room.
    Solid rock walls of the mountain are visible, implying that whole sections of the ship are destroyed or torn wide open.

Beyond that, we really don't know much about the layout of the Ark. It seems that the vast majority of interior scenes and shots were just made up for whatever was required with little to no consideration to how any rooms and items inside related to oneanother.

Really now, the Ark should have been atomized on impact. It crashed, from space, directly into a chucklefucking MOUNTAIN. Cybertronian alloys be damned, that ship should have been annihilated.

And then there's the ridiculous scale issues every time we see the Autobots under those thrusters...

17. unexpectedpanda

News Credits:
    I completely agree on all points. I've made a large update after watching 2x10, where all of Nightbird's circuitous infiltration made no sense whatsoever so I just had to wing it.

Still, is fun to get something together :) 

[​IMG]

18. Mewtwo

Well. That does give the sense of a much bigger ship. Even if a slightly oddball corridor design wise one. :lol 

19. unexpectedpanda

News Credits:
    Oh yeah. The internals don't even match themselves in the same episode, let alone between episodes. Then if you account for the outer shape of the ship...

Well presumably that could be broached if they built out wherever was needed. But still, it's nuts.

20. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

[​IMG]

You can see here that some of The Autobots are rushed out of the Ark, through the volcano. I believe there's a passage that leads to the volcano

[​IMG]

We can see Ironhide a few moments later making his way towards the Ark and straight to the volcano, so he can take it out. The volcano never became active since then.

[​IMG]

Also as I mentioned earlier about the elevator, we can see Nightbird spying on Prowl and Spike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.