G1 - Argos Catalogue UK 1984 to 1990

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Chiller, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Primacron

Primacron Well-Known Member

Me too, a lot of other toys came and went, but by the time of the gold 'classics' 90s releases I was still trying to get all of the dinobots.

I got 3 of them eventually, I used to go and see Snarl in his cardboard prison in Woolworths whenever I had the chance!

At the end of the '86 Winter catalogue there is a Jazz pedal car, there is a curved bit under the autobots logo which strangely foreshadows the Alternator version. (If you've put Reprolabels on him.)

2. PANTSMAN1973

PANTSMAN1973 Well-Known Member

Winter 1985 has a pre Omega Supreme on page 142. He's called Omegatron and was part of a line called a Convertor. Don't remember these!

3. Killamarshan

Killamarshan Iacon Tourist

Great thread.

Those scans elicit such vivid memories, especially Autumn 85.

4. Primacron

Primacron Well-Known Member

Good spot! For £25 I'd be tempted to army build them.

5. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Now that is weird... Action Force started out as Palitoy not Hasbro? What's up with that?

6. Killamarshan

Killamarshan Iacon Tourist

Palitoy licensed GI Joe from Hasbro (just like they did with Care Bares and Star Wars) and rebranded it Action Man. This followed on to the 3 3/4 Action Force line with Joe vehicles being licensed and incorporated into the Action Force lore. Cobra Commander was repainted red and released as Red Lazer for example. Initially most of the Joe figures were used as vehicle drivers due to their greater articulation.

In 87 Tonka bought out Palitoy as part of Kenna Parker freeing Hasbro to release Action Force in the UK as 'International Heroes' with similar packaging to North America. We also got the Marvel comic instead of the IPC published Battle Action Force.

There was an episode of the Full Force podcast that covered this in far much more detail than I can remember.

7. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Wow, I didn't know any of that. Those old catalogs, wow. Memory lane. Don't remember the last 2... well at all, I assume because I may have been growing out of toys at the time, but the '86, '87 and '88 are fantastic. It's great seeing the rise and fall of toylines based upon their Argos Catalog coverage.

In the future they'll look back at todays Argos catalog and marvel at the amount of space Lego gets.

8. Longwaysouth

Longwaysouth Wait, what?

This is an awesome thread, so much win here! Thanks to Chiller for posting the links.

That is a great spot, I don't remember Omegatron but I have vague recollections of seeing the blue jet next to him.

This explains why my brother and I had certain TFs, because my parents bought them from Argos! Between us we had Grimlock & Snarl, the Stunticon & Aerialbot giftsets, and Sandstorm & Octane (but no other Dinobots, combiners or triple changers), plus Smokescreen, Inferno, Optimus Prime and Jetfire (all likely to have been bought from Argos).

Back in '85 someone bought me G1 Snarl for £9.95 and almost 20 years later I've dropped £120-odd on Fans Toys Sever - that's the power of nostalgia!

9. Chiller

Chiller Failed Decepticon

News Credits:
    Wow, had never heard of Grandstand Convertors before. A quick googling tells me they did a whole set of Diaclone releases - including Deltatron which "can transform into a F-15 Eagle Fighter Jet and back by remote control" !! and Sigmatron a 12 inch robot to jeep that I could imagine in another universe being partnered with Jetfire.

Now, back in the day, I remember being on holiday in the Lake District. I saw Omega Supreme in a shop, but my mum convinced not to spend all my holiday money on it. Omega Supreme was never released in the UK (I guess probably because of the Grandstand version). I'm now wondering if it was the Grandstand version I saw.

10. RobotoChan

RobotoChan Nothing to see here

News Credits:
    I actually have an Omegatron in my collection which I bought in Argos. It's a strange beast but kinda charming.

11. Mixmaster

Mixmaster 4F 68 A0 54 69 74 73 21

News Credits:
    Oh man, these pages bring back memories. It's a shame the '87 pages are missing, as I could've sworn Sixshot was available, but that might've been my imagination.

12. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope, Sixshot was never officially available in the UK product line.

13. Sjoerdo

Sjoerdo Active Member

This is brilliant, thanks for posting the link tot this nostalgic break down :) 

We didn't have Argos in Holland, but we had a toy store here that would release a yearly folder filled with toys. As a little kid I remember drooling over those pages! Lego, Knightrider, A-team, He-man, Transformers and after that I didn't collect any toy lines anymore...

Couldn't be bothered with GI-joe (my older brother loved it though), went straight to commodore 64 and gaming!

14. nice sideburns

nice sideburns Autobot Brother

I too remember seeing the Omegatron toy in a shop whilst on holiday with my folks (I want to say Barry Island but my recollection could be hazy) and I too was all over it; I tried desperately to get my Mum and Dad to pick it up for me but to no avail. At least, I have an Omega Supreme now, albeit the encore version. Only had to wait the best part of 30 years!

15. Smell of fear

Smell of fear Sorebot

Some of the other catalogues have Transformers too. Check out 1994. It has a G2 Megatron! 1999 has images of Beast Wars Transmetals!

16. MonaLazaBeak

MonaLazaBeak <Witty saying goes here>

Oh man. What a trip back to my childhood. My favorite US catalogs were Sears and JCPenney's Christmas catalogs during my childhood. Those and flipping through my brother's pile of comics for the ones that displayed the MASK toys.

Oh, and how did I not ever know about "Vroom"? That is one I've never even come across, let alone remember reading about.

Also! Holy remembrance, Batman! Convertors? I've been wondering what those were again. I looked them up and I found out I used to have the cash drawer "Cash" one. Oh, how I loved that simple, simple toy.

[​IMG]

And then there's Chopper?! This would make a sick Whirl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh wow.

Found my self looking through the prices too - Megatron and Prime for £15 each. Blitzwing for £8!

Ah, those were the days...

18. Chiller

Chiller Failed Decepticon

News Credits:

STA: Convertors: Spies

Aha! I had more or less forgotten about this. I had Bandit and Tilt. Both of them were playable bandits and pinball machines too.

They were in the same shop where I saw Omega Supreme on holiday. After my mum convinced me not to spent all my money on Omega, I bought them as a sort of consolation price

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Very cool, and as others have mentioned, there are a lot of other neat things with other toylines documented here as well :thumb 

20. Mixmaster

Mixmaster 4F 68 A0 54 69 74 73 21

News Credits:
    I know, that's why I doubt myself about it, but I'm sure I saw him in a catalogue back then.