G1 accurate does it really matter?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Galvatron197, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Galvatron197

Galvatron197 Well-Known Member

Before I get started,
    I have done reviews comparing the figures I have to G1 accuracy ect. But now I have stopped drinking that Kool aid if you will. Also I have taken shots of third party figures next to my MP figures as well. Just setting the tone that I am not a hypocrite.

What made come to this stunning query I asked myself when I had a discussion with a fellow collector a few hours ago. We' were talking about tfc's uranos and my secret desire to have custom repainted as actual military plane colors. In my opinion he would've looked way better than he already looks. Then my buddy says this that really:bay 
    blew me away.

Who gives a shit about show accurate colors? I mean there's too many fanboys whining about show accurate colors and scaling everything with Master piece, talk about being a tight ass.
    Not in those words exactly, but it was 'pretty heated' what he told me.

Let's just we had a very constructive conversation afterwards. What I am sharing with you and asking you does it really matter G1 accuracy, Mp scaling comparisons and all the rot.

Personally: Mp-scaling, G1 accuracy
    Personally it depends on the character. If the G1 cartoon dictates the character is suppose to towering and thick. Then figure should reflect that. After we're all adult collectors and transformers are a fond memory of a collectors childhood. That's how far it goes with me. I am not real stickler for show accurate perfection. Specifically some figures and combiners do not need the burdensome guideline to follow.

Which brings to the following combiners:
    On the pictures attached to this post are actual pictures I have researched. The purpose of proving my point such as every third party transformer does not have to be show accurate and IDW accurate. As far as Master piece comparison, to me it may apply to how big the character was. Off subject, prime example MMC homage to six shot. He was huge, agile and has a vibe malicious intent! MMC captured all of that and then some.
    Back to what I was I talking about, I strongly believe the accuracy everyone is hard up on would not apply for these combiners, if they were identical to actual vehicles of today.

Warbotron:
    Airburst in particular if was engineered after the Dassult Mirage five. He would actually fit in with the rest of the team. Warning, this just my opinion to provoke thought not trolling. Also if Warbotrons homage to the combaticons painted like the vehicles in the photo, I shit ya not I still would've bought them. Hell I probably would love Warbotron more than I love the guy now lol.

TFC: Uranos
    Blackbird was made after Tupolev TU-160, Perhaps Black Bird would've been way better than he already is. From perspective betwixt judgement on the first time I had him in hand, Blackbird would've been more eye catching? Or his transformation could've been clever?

Colors:
    Actual military colors for the jets. I've said this to some friends, TFC stuck with military colors, people would still see TFC paid homage to Superion.

Stunticons:
    Who ever is going to do the Stunticons, Warbotron or whoever please oh please go by this picture of Motormaster. Stay away from the G1 accuracy. Look at the vehicles, eye catching, flashy and just imagine them in bot mode.

Conclusion/ Discussion:
    Just want to provoke some thought on the boards. Judging myself first! I would love to see third party companies step out of the box and go into a realistic direction on some combiners or figures. This is where they can really show off skill and talent.
    As a collector, and being honest with you all. I am not stickler at all. I just want to own figures that are striking!

Attached Files:

2. theosteve

theosteve Well-Known Member

im very much on the side of your friend. I hate g1 accuracy whining. Some characters have certain iconic characteristics, but beyond those characteristics, be imaginative and bold.

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm fine with alt mode reimaginings as long as it A) looks good and B) it's the same "type" of vehicle. A shuttle should still be a shuttle and a f1 car should still be a f1 car. And the colors and the iconic design traits of the character have to be there for me to be interested. I only buy 3P to fill gaps for characters HasTak won't do. I'm not interested in original or overly different stuff.

I agree about the MP stuff you said though, I don't care at all for the "EVERYTHING MUST BE MP SCALE" mentality. Especially when the aesthetic of the toy doesn't even look like a MP.

4. Uninvited Ghost

Uninvited Ghost Well-Known Member

Which product are you reviewing here?

5. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    You'll most certainly get some Provoking (being the key word here) and extremely opinionated individuals.

Have fun trying to contain it all. :lol 

6. 18inchcombiner

18inchcombiner Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. As much as possible aesthetically speaking. And for MP's. Scale & detail accuracy is a must.

7. Galvatron197

Iconic Characteristics

:cool: 
    I agree with you on that completely. I am sure my friend will appreciate you siding with him. I wish everyone on the boards could hear what he said, really hit home and made me think.

8. Galvatron197

I see your point

Don't want to misunderstand you. But what you're saying is similar to theosteve about certain characters are just have iconic characteristics. I completely get Drag strip should still look like strip. Me personally keep him a F1 car but get really creative with the design. To clarify I would love to see a 6 wheeled futuristic f1 car.

9. Galvatron197

Lol

Well man what can I say, we're all collectors here and I hope some third party company is reading this thread.

10. ferrari35

ferrari35 Well-Known Member

Um is there not already too many "I like this and if you done you are loser threads" I really don't thin this belongs here

11. Galvatron197

No review

Not reviewing a product this time.

12. Galvatron197

Too bad

This thread is going to stay because it relates to collectors who really dig third party transformers. If you don't like this thread don't participate and find a discussion thread that fits you.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  13. tekering

tekering The Ref

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    For nearly a decade now, there have been two distinct toy lines for the G1 collector, Classics and Masterpiece.

Masterpiece figures must strike the balance between cartoon-accurate robot modes and toy-accurate alt. modes, with colors, aesthetics, and scale determined by robot-mode depiction in the Sunbow cartoon. G1 accuracy is of paramount importance, and any deviation will prompt whining from fans (myself included).

Classics (aka CHUG) allows a great deal more freedom with creative interpretation, modern alt. mode updates, comic-inspired aesthetics, etc. Whereas third-party figures used to be produced exclusively for this toy line, the last few years has shown a distinct shift towards Masterpiece-style product.

Fan expectations are shifting as well, I think. As more and more of our beloved characters get the Masterpiece treatment, the G1 accuracy of their Classics equivalents becomes much less important. Now that I have MP Ultra Magnus, I'm perfectly happy with a CHUG Magnus with Minimus Ambus driving; now that FansToys have given me MP Dinobots, I'm perfectly happy with CHUG Dinobot combiners.

The more Masterpiece characters get produced, the less G1-accurate other versions of those characters need to be. :D 

14. FallenRainDrops

FallenRainDrops Well-Known Member

I display all my warbotron figures with MP.

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    For Masterpiece, it's "accuracy" is an absolute deal breaker for me, or at least the closer the better.

Other lines, I couldn't care less about that aspect. That's not because I'm not collecting them, but it's more about the fact that I enjoy seeing other interpretations of figures. In other words, a little something old and a little something new goes a long way. Additionally, Transformers center around "change."

Masterpiece is my nostalgic line for my collection, and the magic captured from both the original cartoon and the toys are my main interest with it. Otherwise, such toys would simply be "masterpiece" Generations figures to me.

Masterpiece had its day with "modernized" figures with the original Starscream figure. While I really love the figure, most collectors do not. The style that Masterpiece figures have been utilizing since MP-8 is the style that most collectors want from Masterpiece.

Generations from the Reveal the Sheild era of Generations are what most collectors want from Generations. The fun aspect from Combiner Wars are also what collectors are looking for. For most Generations collectors, a "G1" cast is nearly done, with both official and non-official. I'm seeing a MAJOR shift towards collectors now wanting an IDW inspired cast of figures from Generations. Collectors will have those, too, whether it's official or unofficial.

16. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Does G1 accuracy really matter? Yes and no.

Yes, because, in my opinion, one of the best things about G1 was the very iconic color schemes. The artists and designers of the G1 era made some very, very appealing color choices. The choices were often not realistic but they were fun and appealing.

I also yes because "realistic" color schemes are often times boring and bland. My favorite TF line is Binaltech/Alternators but the biggest drawback to that line is the really boring color choices. But it has to be boring otherwise you'd lose the realism-- its the obligatory trade off. I think you run the risk of making some fun figures very boring by giving them "realistic" color choices. On the flipside, it could really reinvigorate some toys too.

I kind of like the idea of a Superion and Bruticus with realistic color choices. I also worry they would look boring.

I'm guessing most collectors want to stick to G1 colors for their CHUG and MP collections though. I think if I were starting a collection from scratch I'd be a lot more open to non-G1 colors. Who knows. Interesting topic though...

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    G1 accuracy matters in cases where G1 accuracy is the point. As in, Masterpiece-related. If something is meant to fit with the MP line, then yes, accuracy matters.

That doesn't make something that doesn't strive for accuracy a bad toy or a bad design. Sometimes, a new design can be a lot more interesting. It just doesn't fit with the MP line.

There are also different kinds of accuracy. Carry is G1 accurate and can stand alongside MP figures (even though the vehicle mode is tiny), but it's a completely different kind of G1 accuracy. So even within the constraints of G1 accuracy, there is some room for variety and interpretation.

18. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I want my transformers to be in the same "flavor" that G1 was, but it doesn't have to be exact. and this doesn't just go for 3rd party stuff. like Armada Starscream. I liked it, it was a jet, I bought it. But if star scream was a truck, I don't think I'd buy it

19. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Wholeheartedly agreed :thumb 

20. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Alternatively, Transformers that transform, does it really matter?

For both questions, some people just want a cool looking figure. Others want their figure that's supposed to be character **** to actually look like ****...or want their Transformer character to actually transform.

Are you wrong not to care? No. Are others wrong to care? No. Are you wrong to tell the other they should or shouldn't care, though? Yes.

I would, however, say the person that doesn't care is much more likely to buy whether it looks accurate or whether it strays...so it would seem the maker would be best served to make it accurate and get the most sales.