G-Shock × Transformers Master Optimus Prime Resonant Mode

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ACMagnus, Oct 13, 2021.

1. ACMagnus

ACMagnus Phantom Thief

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    As many of you are aware, Transformers has had quite a number of collaborations with various companies, going as far back as G1 with the Pepsi Optimus Prime (I believe) being the first known case of the franchise collaborating with a separate company for a special release figure. Many of these collaborations simply boil down to redecos and repaints featuring company logos over pre-existing figures, such as the Primitive Skateboarding Optimus Prime. However, every now and then, Takara likes to go the extra mile and create all-new figures, such as those of the Sports Label and Infobar collaborations. As part of the 35th anniversary of the franchise in 2018, Takara partnered with Casio to release Master Optimus Prime, an all-new figure that transforms into a display stand for wristwatches. Unique to the "Resonant Mode" set is the inclusion of a special edition G-Shock watch in Optimus Prime colors. More on that later.

For those not in the know, the G-Shock line of watches by Casio are among the most popular brands of watches that I'm aware of. Known for their absolutely absurd durability and relatively inexpensive pricing, it's easy to see why this is the watch of choice for a lot of people. Where it gets crazy is in the collector's market. Transformers isn't the only collaboration in the G-Shock line, nor is it even the most limited. I've seen some of these watches go for thousands of dollars in the aftermarket, akin to the current sneaker market. In a way, these watches can be seen as somewhat of an investment, depending on just how limited the supply is. Anyways, let's get to the figure itself.

Master Optimus Prime starts in his "Pedestal Prime" mode. Essentially, it's a really bulky display stand for the watch itself. Barely anything tabs in, but there are some pretty stiff ratchet joints that make this mode pretty stable. The "Star Drive Cannons" peg onto the sides of the pedestal, and the watch slides onto a translucent blue piece. Most standard watch models fit on the stand pretty well, so this makes a pretty great display option for watch enthusiasts.
    20211013_103525.jpg

Here's a side view of this mode.
    20211013_103540.jpg

My normal smart watch fits on this as well with no issues.
    20211013_104056.jpg

For those that purchased the standard edition of the figure that doesn't include the watch, a "Chrono Matrix" is included that takes the watch's place. It's all chromed out, and makes a pretty good placeholder for the watch.
    20211013_103916.jpg

Here's a size comparison with Siege Sideswipe, where you can see just how large of a figure this is.
    20211013_104425.jpg

Let's take a closer look at the watch, which is a DW-5600, one of the more iconic G-Shock models. It's a pretty glossy red watch with a metallic blue band. The light button is in white and yellow, possibly to homage Optimus's waist. "TRANSFORMERS" is embossed on the top of a chrome-plated face. It's a bit gaudy to wear everyday, and given its status as a special edition release, I can't see myself wearing it, well, ever. The watch features 4 modes: timekeeping, alarm, timer, and stopwatch.
    20211013_103703.jpg

Pressing the light button makes the face glow green, and reveals an otherwise invisible Autobot symbol. It's my favorite detail of this watch.
    20211013_104335.jpg

A detail unique to my watch is that it's signed by Kikuo Ibe, the creator of G-Shock.
    20211013_103749.jpg

Robot mode might be hit or miss for people. The figure is built around the watch housing unit, which leads to the torso being incredibly bulky. It's also pretty well detailed, and the translucent blue makes this figure pop. The watch ends up on the figure's chest, which I find to be the neatest part of the robot mode design.
    20211013_104847.jpg

Here's a size comparison with Sideswipe. Prime's old school Leader Class size, which was a welcome surprise. The guns can also store behind his shoulders via 5mm pegs. I took the opportunity to show that the Chrono Matrix can take the watch's place if you want to wear it or if you have the standard release of the figure.
    20211013_105429.jpg

Articulation is incredibly clunky, though manageable. I'd say he has Unicron Trilogy articulation but with wrists and ankle tilts. The only major point he's missing is a waist swivel. He's also wearing my smart watch in this picture to show off that he can still wear other watches in robot mode.
    20211013_105740.jpg

Here's one last group picture with other corporate sellout Optimus Primes.
    20211013_110218.jpg

So here's the real question: Is he worth it? The normal release of the figure goes for over $100 now, and I can't recommend paying that much for this. The Resonant Mode set retailed for $300-350, which wasn't so bad for a special edition G-Shock, but Transformers fans might not appreciate this set nearly as much as the watch collectors. And given that this set goes for nearly double that, I can't recommend it unless you absolutely need this specific watch in particular.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great review. Looking at your pics, I agree, the watch itself is not that nice to look at, But the light feature is pretty damn cool. Id prolly only wear it out to comic cons and such.

I Think the base transformer looks real cool. and crap..I forgot about the Shoe prime..That was nuts!

• Like Like x 1
  3. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

News Credits:
    Where did you get that Persona 5 watch theme?

4. ACMagnus

ACMagnus Phantom Thief

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    There's an app called Facer that I downloaded that has a bunch of neat themes. I had a Metal Gear codec theme on it for a while before I switched to the P5 one :lol 

5. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thank you for the review! I did not expect it to be that big

6. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love m Gshock. My kids think the lightup Autobot symbol is great. I gotta find my Prime figure though. It's buried somewhere with stuff from the flood.

I'm a (wannabe) collector of watches. I just need a Time Warrior for my personal TF collection

20211018_124040.jpg

• Like Like x 4