G.I. Joe: Snake Eyes Solo Movie in the works!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Gaastra, Dec 4, 2018.

1. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It has nothing to do with the wars. It's not like anyone, not just the readers but including the characters, ever thought the Vietnam War was a good idea, either. It was about service and sacrifice and surviving. And the brotherhood that exists between LRRP team members who spend a lot of time alone, deep in enemy territory and cut off from friendly forces. And the character was not about revenge. He was about simply surviving and getting home to see his sister. And none of that is anything that can be replicated in a fish shop.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Dr Fingelblender

Dr Fingelblender Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hard to make a (decent) GI JOE movie that isn't about war(s).

• Like Like x 4
  3. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    You don't have to show that he was a soldier, just say he was. Of course, that didn't stop the old comic run from showing Snake-Eyes and gang from their exploits in Vietnam even though people were probably sick of it by that point.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bête Noire

Bête Noire Fallen Guardian

News Credits:
    GI Joe: Friendship is Magic.

I joke, but dollars to donuts, there's prolly a fanfic out there. With art.
    *shudder*

• Like Like x 4
  5. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Snake-Eyes riding Twilight Sparkle into battle alongside Storm Shadow on Rainbow Dash. :lolol  I mean... someone would probably buy it. Look at how popular The Magic of Cybertron apparently is. :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bee427

Bee427 Still here and queer

Shit, I'D buy it. It would be the one piece of GI Joe media I'd actually be interested in purchasing. :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  7. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Apparently we almost got that in the first 80s MLP movie. If those stories are true, at one point in the script, they were going to have one of the ponies go to the world of the Transformers and Joes to ask for help with the plot. For the Joes, she was going to encounter Shipwreck in a bar, but poor 'wreck just got freaked out thinking the booze was doing him in, so after she left, he got rid of his drink and began praying.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's what being in a clan of Ninjas is for.

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    No it is not. That is in no way the same or in any way serve the same purpose.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    You mean the clan that Snake-Eyes gained the trust of and then betrayed 3 times over? The clan he lied to that pretty much caused the deaths of hundreds of their members? The clan he treated like dogshit after they welcomed him there with open arms that caused the last member of their lineage to be shamed?

• Like Like x 2
  11. RVDA

RVDA Toy Designer.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Haven't seen it yet, doesn't sound like I will either. None of it is surprising though, trailers were meh from the start and it didn't feel like the studio had much confidence either. It's so weird that they can't seem to do these movies right either when the MCU (especially Cap 1 and Winter Soldier) has already demonstrated that these kind of stories CAN work.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  13. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    What?

14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    The Transformers movies gave us a better Joe team than the GI Joe movies.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Megastar

News Credits:
    Actually it is, because it teaches him the same damn things; brotherhood and honor and if you want to say he was a war veteran you can just simply say he fought against another ninja clan.

I was speaking in General Lee and the movie makes it very freaking clear that he's only thinking about revenge yes it was clumsily handled but there was a reason for why he did what he did. And let's not sit here and pretend that most action heroes aren't portrayed as complete scumbag assholes.

16. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    You're right, and that's the biggest point of contention I have these days. Every heroic character that isn't in the MCU now has to be portrayed like some big ass dickwad. Heroes can no longer be heroes anymore. They have to be douchebags. And that is exactly why the DCEU failed with Superman right from the start. They turned Superman into a selfish ass hat.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bête Noire

Bête Noire Fallen Guardian

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    No it's not the same, because the Ninja stuff was the fantasy element of the story. It's not relatable because no one you know has been through it. It's not real. Military service is real. Most people have family members within a generation or two (or three, at most) who served in some conflict, pointless or otherwise, and came out changed. You equating being drafted into the hell of the Vietnam War with the adolescent power fantasy of being asked to join a ninja clan is pretty fucking silly. It's like equating a first responder on 9/11 getting a permanent lung condition from breathing the fumes from the burning towers with someone getting super powers and being asked to join the Avengers. Wooosh is the sound of the point sailing way over your head.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Megastar

News Credits:
    I would have to disagree, because most of the MCU heroes started out as selfish jerks, they were just petrayed as funny enough that you could overlook their shortcomings. Superman wasn't a jerk in the DCEU, he just wasn't made the overrated boy scout he is in comics. Plus I just think that not that many normies like Superman.

Newsflash this movie isn't real and his experience would scream hollow just like it does in most war movies. Yeah tell me something I don't know, because I don't know about you but I have a brother that serves in the National Guard and was deployed to the capital after the insurrection where he got Covid, so don't you try telling me what a soldier's life is like and on a personal level you can f**k right off with that false 911 comparison!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  20. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Having not seen the movie yet(and having interest lost since this weekend), I think the only way to really make a Snake Eyes movie right is to give primary creative control to Hasbro. Let Paramount select the director maybe, but with Hasbro input. I don’t know if this played out or not, but a core element of Snake Eyes has been that he was given control of something he wasn’t necessarily entitled to and unfairly so.

If I were to make a Snake Eyes origin movie, I would’ve based it on Silent Interlude. The 1st half being the events that led up to Snake Eyes joining the Arashikage, from a previous conflict(doesn’t have to be Vietnam, could be any random spot for the sake of modernizing or being timeless), getting injured(and saved by Tommy while their unit with Stalker is in a battle) and returning from the conflict(or war) only to find that his family died on the way to the airport to pick him up. 1st half ends with Snake Eyes being introduced to the Arashikage by Tommy.

2nd half or hour would be directly based on Silent Interlude and take place with no dialogue. While Snake Eyes prepares to jump from the C-130, there would be intermittent flashbacks of him training with the Joe team and saving Scarlett while losing his voice in the process. Destro would be playing chess in the castle but would be largely obscured aside from chrome reflection from his mask as an Easter egg(fans would instantly know who it was but the casual audience wouldn’t). Snake Eyes would then storm Scarlett’s castle as the flashback sequence of him screaming in the fire(in which he saved Scarlett) occurs, gradually dissipates as he parachutes onto the castle to begin his raid. While encountering Storm Shadow, a few more flashback sequences of training with the Arashikage would be intermittent, showing similar movements and somehow Snake Eyes evoking being somewhat stunned/shocked while recognizing the movements from Tommy to the ninja he’s fighting(clad in white).

Movie ends with the forearm wrappings of the ninja in white slowly tearing off revealing the Arashikage tattoo on his forearm.

Post-credits sequence shows Snake Eyes getting patched up after the raid, his forearm sleeve torn during the raid and revealing markings of the same tattoo that the ninja in white had as Stalker looks on and starts to ponder.

Approach I would’ve taken would’ve been familiar to older fans but also plants the seeds for future movies to build on without giving away too much. Furthermore the initial origin story from the comics would’ve been intact and timeless; didn’t need to take place in the 80’s, could’ve take place any time since.

• Like Like x 4