G.I. Joe: Snake Eyes Solo Movie in the works!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Gaastra, Dec 4, 2018.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    If Hollywood is so hell bent on straying from source material then I think 1 format that could work is if the Joes became a team of contractors like The Expendables.

2. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Well-Known Member

Oh for fuck's sake. So then it really could have just been a Breaker versus Major Bludd film.

How embarrassing it must be to have spent $88 million dollars and a year of hundreds of people's lives to make a Snake Eyes film...and yet still not have made a Snake Eyes film.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

I honestly don't see how a sequel or a new G.I. Joe film can get greenlit after this movie.

4. Exodus

Exodus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed, although I would still like to see it just to see it if you know what I mean...but agreed, I don't remember the other two movies but I'm pretty sure they were better then this per say.

5. Bête Noire

Bête Noire Fallen Guardian

News Credits:
    For better or worse, Snake-Eyes' mystique has been his best selling point - Ninja. Commando. Dressed in all-black. Face obscured. Silent. Badass. Even within the comics going into his backstory, it kind of spoiled the character. Less is more. Wolverine was the same way. We don't always need to know every single detail about a character's past. I don't care what Snake-Eyes had for dinner 20 years ago.

The worst thing about this film (aside from the third act) is that it takes a character like Snake-Eyes and boils him down to:
    A street brawler bent on vengeance, betraying the only group of people that were ever kind to him, being incredibly sloppy, a little annoying, and actually kind of a clueless asshole devoid of mystique, honour, or anything that made Snake-Eyes an interesting character from years past.
    Remember that scene in Solo when we find out how Han gets his surname? Yeah. It's kind of a like an entire film of that. Yes, I assume that even Snake-Eyes was a youthful, uncultured ahole at some point, but just like no one is interested in reliving those days from my own youth, no one is interested in reliving them for Snake-Eyes either. Just fast-forward to the good part when he's a silent ninja commando badass. Allude to a deeper connection/history with Storm Shadow, Aikiko, etc.. We don't need the play-by-play.

I'm actually okay with changing up the story a little bit. If Snake-Eyes got duped and that caused the rift with Storm Shadow, that's okay by me. Just don't make him out to be the hero when he's clearly not. If you're going to take the character in a bold, new direction, fucking own it.

I didn't hate this film by any means; I just didn't think it was very good.

• Like Like x 4
  6. JS_Prime

JS_Prime Active Lurker

News Credits:
    I’m admittedly not well versed in GI Joe lore, but I thought snake eyes was okay. Definitely flawed, but not a total wreck.

The end credits, though, are the most seizure inducing credits I’ve seen in a long-ass time

• Like Like x 1
  7. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Are there post-credits scenes?

8. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    The credits were like the best thing though.

There's one in the middle of the credits, but nothing after.

9. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I think GI Joe has a way out - they’re a highly trained, special missions force, if a movie franchise featuring a special agency like Mission Impossible, or whatever ragtag disaster preventing group is that Fast and the Furious have evolved into, can churn out blockbuster hits - there’s still potential for Gi Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

Too bad it’s the writers and Hollywood fucking it up.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fc203

Fc203 #RestoreTheBayVerse

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Yep unfortunately the trailers spoil it, i think its the 3rd trailer
    Yeah i liked the credits too

12. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku Why did I un-ironically call myself an otaku?

Instagram:
    Aight I have no clue about anything in the GI Joe lore aside from I’ve heard in the toy thread, so I had literally no expectations.

I thought it was alright. Nothing made or broke the film for me, it was just an overall average film. My least favorite part of the film was the jewel. The film is supposedly about ninjas, but the whole third act has the big bad waving around the damn crystal instead of a massive sword fight.

I liked SE for what it was, but he did kinda seem like your average action film protagonist, although I don’t mind him getting smacked around a bit. The dude had no technique, so it makes sense he loses fights against the more experienced.

I do think Storm Shadow was the best part of the film despite how little overall presence he had. Seeing the toys makes me wonder how much of the film was cut, since he never wore a mask and some things felt like they were missing.

Again, I’m not well-versed in Joe lore, but I actually liked how the Joes and Cobra were established as already existing, and the character choice wasn’t to shabby either. I do feel like Scarlet’s actress was a little... dead inside, but maybe she’s just someone who doesn’t take shit from others? Not bad, just seemed a little unfocused I guess.

I liked the third act in the clan’s land except for the Jewel parts. Also, I was a little disappointed with the camera work in general. Felt like it was zoomed in way too much, and it didn’t add to the intensity as much as it does make the scene looked cluttered.

Overall, a decent time at the movies, but I’m not sure how successful this will be? I’d definitely watch the SE tracks down SS film, but I’m not sure how this universe will turn out after a rocky start.

7/10

13. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Even if you don't know anything about GI Joe lore, surely you know Snake-Eyes is supposed to be a mute ninja who always wears a costume, right?

• Like Like x 1
  14. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Primus Hates You

No? Average Joe, no pun intended knows PSAs and "And Knowing Is Half the Battle." Maybe Cobra if you're lucky. Beyond geek circles, that is really the only thing from GI Joe that has penetrated pop culture.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Daelo88

Daelo88 Well-Known Member

But this was suppose to be before he was The SE we know. I don't think he was born mute and wearing all black suit with a mask right?

It's like not liking the Star Wars prequel about Anakin because he's supposed to be in a mask and a Sith Lord.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Bête Noire

News Credits:
    Interesting parallel. Both the prequels and the SE: Origins film did a great job of making badasses in black seem like douchey brats in their youth. Maybe it's a prerequisite.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    True, but Snake-Eyes was always an actual hero, not some douchebag dickwad who would sell out anyone that cared about him for some cheap revenge tale. He was a good man from start to finish before he donned his costume. I doubt this version of Snake-Eyes even actually participated as a soldier in the middle east.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    This is actually what bothers me more than anything about the movie after seeing it earlier today. I've been trying to figure out why I didn't care for it and this is exactly why. This just isn't Snake-Eyes at the very core.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He probably hasn't and no one really wants to see it because after 20 years people just want to move on from those damn wars.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Bête Noire

News Credits:
    lol - the Clone Wars are going to go on longer than the US war in Afghanistan.
    I've been watching The Bad Batch, and yeah - it's definitely tired. Let's just let it end already.

Yes, I know that it takes place after the Clone Wars, but it really is just an epilogue to said Clone Wars so I'm counting it.