Furman’s primus unicron origin sci-fi

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Shinningbolt, Mar 5, 2024.

?

Which is more defined

1. Primus origin

67.7%
  2. Quintesson origin

32.3%
  1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The only problem with the Quintessons lying is that it’d also mean they were lying to each other, in private, where the Transformers couldn’t hear them.

I wonder if there will ever be an attempt to merge the two origins, perhaps with Cybertronians being discovered by the Quints and, due to their robotic nature, enslaved and subsequently modified and augmented into the Transformers of today. Of course that would require any TF series to actually present an alternate origin, which hasn’t happened in a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The Damned Flatlands. (I need mountains!)
    Maybe the Quints aren’t lying, but were themselves created to think they were the creators of the Cybertronians?

Don’t get me wrong— I think that whole line of origin fiction is bullshit. But for those who are trying to reconcile the inconsistencies…

3. Rojixus

Rojixus Celebrating 40 Years of Transformers!

That is literally the Aligned Continuity.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Shinningbolt

Shinningbolt Well-Known Member

Yeah hasbro and takara have not reason to and every reason not to they’ll just fold the quintessons in to that origin if they have to

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked Primus origin... When it was done in Marvel. I don't like, that its now default for every new continuity. It's one of the reasons I hated Unicron Singularity, and the retcon that every universe had Primus and Unicron in them, and that its always the same guy everywhere. Really glad, that it's obscure crap that's easy to ignore.

I wish they would come up with some new origin story, but that seems unlikely for the foreseeable future.

• Like Like x 3
  6. UndeadScottsman

UndeadScottsman Ain't afraid of no Bad Spark.

The omniversal Primus stuff got specifically retconned back out of existence I thought, not just ignored.

Also besides being created by a supernatural (or so powerful as to be effectively supernatural), made by a magic artifact and made by another set of aliens, what origin would you like to see?

7. Gridlock1987

News Credits:
    It would be nice to see the return of "naturally-occurring interaction of gears, levers, and pulleys."

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Holy shit I totally forgot all about the Aligned Quints.

9. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The Damned Flatlands. (I need mountains!)
    Not in my opinion. There’s nothing natural about those things— they’re human-made, and they’re not going to interact without human influence.

“A naturally-occurring interaction between metals, silicates, and metal complexes”… maybe. Even that’s a stretch, but at least it might naturally occur.

Of course, I’m biased because I’m old and have long since adopted my own head-canon origins.

10. Checksources84

Checksources84 Well-Known Member

It should be obvious that "Pulleys and Gears" wasn't intended as canon, but a gag about intelligent design and abiogenesis...

11. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

I mean, credit where it's due to the latter parts of IDW, for revealing their creation myth was just that: a myth.
    Sure it leaves their exact origins up in the air, but I'd almost rather the ambiguity over coming up with a bad origin or another bland take on the same old story (Primus and the Thirteen).

• Like Like x 2
  12. Liege Nemesis

Liege Nemesis Snarks about old cartoons

This is the fandom that interpreted Terrorsaur being theatrical in one episode of Beast Wars as obviously and necessarily being literal and naming the Predacon ship.

It would be reckless to assume that anything metaphorical, colorful, or otherwise non-literal must be "obviously" such around these parts.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gridlock1987

News Credits:
    I could see Furman writing it as a gag, but not Macchio or Budiansky.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
  14. RedBird

RedBird Well-Known Member

Same. I could see the guy who gave us the infamous Afterdeath story writing something as dumb as naturally-occurring levers and pulleys unironically.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Shinningbolt

Shinningbolt Well-Known Member

I mean it does type into their and by extension cybertron’s robotic nature through primus’s kind being unique extra dimensional consciousness digital entities spawned by the space time continuum to mold and explore its development, that when sealed into a planet mutates it ores and radiation into living metal or grey goo and energon which they can psychically influence from the inside, I don’t see how that’s generic and dosn’t match and could easily be applied to thundercats and heman when it’s in fact steeped in classic sci-fi tropes same as the vok from beast wars
    Honestly, it adds greater motivation and explanation for the quintessons to even want the planet in the first place let alone fight and scheme tooth to nail to reclaim it

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  16. Jeeaxus

Jeeaxus J->E Translator, Comics Fan, Recent Collector

Instagram:
    People who don’t think Budiansky could write “naturally occurring gears and pulleys” as a tongue-in-cheek line about creation myths need to read the first 55 issues of Marvel again.

17. Rojixus

Rojixus Celebrating 40 Years of Transformers!

Budiansky didn't write that part, Ralph Macchio did. Budiansky didn't start writing until issue 5.

18. Jeeaxus

Jeeaxus J->E Translator, Comics Fan, Recent Collector

Instagram:
    I’m aware. It’s just that there were comments above was that it would have been either. There's so much fish-out-of-water tongue-in-cheek Tranformers stuff in his following issues that I'm not sure where they got that impression.

The same is true of Ralph Macchio, of course, who packs just as much into his opening mini-series. He has Transformers mistaking cars at a drive-in-theater for the planet's dominant species, so I'm not sure why it's unthinkable that their myth of "naturally occurring gears and pulleys" couldn't be equally tongue in cheek about how their weird robo-culture works.

19. Liege Nemesis

Liege Nemesis Snarks about old cartoons

A compromise:

The Transformers were created by the Quintessons. The Quintessons were created by Unicron. Unicron was created by Primus. And Primus was created by the Trix Rabbit, who is actually an eldritch abomination from before time existed.

20. Nitrostorm the skystriker

Nitrostorm the skystriker Average Transformers Prime fan

So Diakuron? Or the One?