Fun transformations?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Last Laugh, Oct 28, 2019.

?

How do you feel about transformation

1. I don't transform my toys unless I have to (i.e. it came in altmode).

5.6%
  2. I transform them once to check it out

8.0%
  3. I transform them on occasion

48.0%
  4. I regularly transform them

38.4%
  1. Last Laugh

Last Laugh Well-Known Member

Obviously there are quite a few different opinions on transformation.

Some people never even transform their figures, others just once.

Personally, the enjoyment I get out of collecting TFs has to do with the interesting and ingenious ways that a figure can be both a robot and a vehicle (or whatever) and appreciating that fully requires at least periodic transformation (for me).

That said, there are definitely some figures that are such a chore to transform that they don't engender appreciation for the process itself.

So, I'm curious - if you are like me and you do like to occasionally transform your figure, and you appreciate the process for it's own sake, what are your favorites? Which are your least favorites?

• Like Like x 5
  2. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

Transformation is paramount to me. The only figures I don't transform regularly are X-Transbots Apollyon and Fanstoys Sovereign, both of which were gifts I'm deeply gracious for, but their overly difficult transformations I can't manage without instructions are points against them for me.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Eulchien

Eulchien Member

Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    When I was on the MP, I transformed them at the arrival of the package and then once or twice in the year ...
    but now I just switched to Legends (since this summer) and I can't stop having them in my hands and transforming them ... there is more fun for me with the size and the transformation, the number of step, I don't know ...

• Like Like x 5
  4. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    I want my Transformers to have a good sculpt, adequate paint, to have a certain level of articulation, and to be made from quality materials... but I also want my Transformers to transform. If all I wanted was a good-looking robot I'd collect Flame Toys or something. I tend to most appreciate a transformations that are both intuitive and clever, like DX9's Carry, UT's Peru Kill and Challenger. I also enjoy figures that don't take too much time and effort to transform, and those are the figures I'll play with most often. That's one of the reasons I collect and display MP-ish figures but still collect Hasbro's mainline stuff. I intensely dislike anything that's a pain to transform, either because it's not intuitive enough, it has clearance issues, or the designers overengineered it so it takes multiple steps to do something where one or two would have done. This is one of the reasons why, despite the hype they get from a lot of people, I'm not a huge fan of Fans Toys. While they've made some figures I've liked, and a few I've even loved, it seemed to me that between Phoenix (who was great) and Roadking (who was great) they kept releasing figure after figure that looked nice but I loathed handling.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Junkmech

Junkmech Mouthplate Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm firmly in the "transform your Transformers" camp in general, personally. Figures like MP Grimlock can be super fun to just switch back and forth, while figures like DNA's Arashi or Fanstoys Quietus are... Not my favorite. I definitely love the act of transforming figures.

• Like Like x 4
  6. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

I transform my figures if they come in robot mode, since I like to display my bots mainly in alt-mode.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Junkmech

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Some of my favorite figures to transform include Masterpiece Hot Rod, KFC's Kingzilla, and Generation Toy's Gorilla.
    Hot Rod because of the elaborate engineering completely recreating that scene from the movie, which brings me mad nostalgia..
    Gorilla and Kingzilla have the reason in common - Incredibly satisfying changes, very effective and convincing transformations, and of course, simplicity.

As for my dislikes... Well. Quietus, again, DNA's Arashi, Perfect Effect Psychro Knight, half the Alternators line, Fanshobby's Power Baser's combination, etcetera. And this is all because they're either extremely fiddly, painfully specific, have clearance issues, or just suck. It's especially dreadful when things just don't want to work with you. Mind you, this never has stopped me from doing it, it just means I enjoy it less.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If we were honest with ourselves we’d accept that the direction of the MP line was never really about enjoyable transformations and I t’s progressed even further from that with each passing year. Even early MP’s like MP-03, MP-05, MP-12 and the like where less about easy transformation and more about the look, feel and finish. Sure, some of the figures had some interesting twists and if you liked complexity you may have enjoyed the odd figure’s transformation scheme, but it never felt like it was a priority for the vast amount of figures. It still has to transform and the ideal is that it looks great in both modes but neither Takara or 3P’s have ever seemed to care much about the process of getting there. Thats always been fine with me. I like that they transform, I just don’t really enjoy doing it. I can’t really think of any figure that I enjoy the process of transformation. I like the start and end point but the actual journey? Meh.
    Legends by their nature are more flexible when it comes to transformation due to their size. I can see transformation being easier with them. But I still highly doubt any company is prioritising transformation over look or feel. (Excluding mainline Hasbro shelf hangers of course - that’s the difference between a toy and a collectible.)

• Like Like x 2
  9. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

What about Kingorilla?! He is a bit more challenging than Kingzilla.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Last Laugh

Last Laugh Well-Known Member

That actually brings up an interesting question. Do some companies create transformations that are intentionally complex where they could have been more direct without a cost to the figure in either mode? Is that complexity part of the market demand for high end collectibles?

Or is the complexity of certain figures more just a required by-product of getting between very disparate modes without compromise?

11. Junkmech

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I love Kingorilla! I just feel his transformations are more "pretty fine" compared to "genuinely always fun." I always need to look at instructions (which I don't actually have and have to use a video for,) for Kingorilla, while I have Kingzilla's very comfortably memorised. :D 

• Like Like x 2
  12. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it’s more the later. I can’t imagine any scenario where a company would go out of their way to make things more complex for the sake of it. It’s just the cost of alt and bot modes. But if a more fun or interesting transformation would cause a compromise in look or finish, I can’t think of a single MP company that would do it. These are high end collectibles and the primary function is that they look good. Compromising that for a gimmick would be crazy... unless of course you’re Takara in which case a voice box or opening doors or an extra 5 degrees shoulder bend is totally worth producing a messy, broken sculpt. :rolleyes: 
    But even they aren’t prioritising transformation.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Zherneboh

Zherneboh BRAVE BOMBER

I think there's a strong design element of the transformation sequence as well, they draw up tens of alternative versions for the transformations after initial mode designs (we have on reliable account that MMC do this at least, I would guess it's the same for Takara as well as many other 3rd party companies) and it must be a compromise somewhere where they choose to balance functionality or a clever gimmick for aesthetics as @Starganderfish has said. Neverthless I do believe some companies, including Takara like to have a "wow factor" with the transformations. I think MP Inferno's disappearing ladder for example serves the purpose better than any other stab at it for getting that "robot in disguise" torso look but it's an engineering marvel too and consciously so.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    At the end of the day these are toys.
    Toys I might add that look just as good without paint on surfaces that might receive scratch marks from transformation or posing or die-cast where it compromises stability.

Give me a fun transformation over paint where it has no business being and give me well-executed ratchets over die-cast where it has no business being any day of the week.

My favorite MP bots for transformation?
    Fanstoys Dracula, Zeta's Aerialbots, Maketoys IronWill.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Rasbot

Rasbot Well-Known Member

I mainly collect for the look although I do transform some on occasion, If it has a fun transformation. Legends figures scratch that itch for me now though. They're great to pick up and mess with.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My favorites for transformation, huh? Let's see... anything not designed by Fanstoys :p  I kid I kid. Actually I enjoy Phoenix' transformation. But favorites? I still enjoy transforming MP-10, Soundwave, and the early MP carbots. MP Grimlock was fun too. MP Magnus is fun. Pretty much all the early Takara figures except MP-05 (which really shouldn't be considered a masterpiece IMHO). KFC Transistor is decent - pretty panelly but everything has plenty of room to move and there aren't any parts that feel too difficult to get to. Same with Ditka - surprisingly simple yet effective transformation considering that he's a triple changer. MMC Inferno is pretty good too - recently acquired him and was just transforming him last night. The badcube Insecticons aren't bad and I particularly enjoy how Kickback's bug legs fold away into his back though I do tend to forget which way all his parts in that area need to be oriented.

And then there are the ones that are mostly fun except for one annoying part. Crash Hog's head. Andras' feet. TE-01's wrap around section on the back of his cab (a real shame because his legs are a delight to transform). Koot's wheels (though I don't know that I'd say he's "fun" other than that but at least most of his transformation isn't too bad). War Dog's... hahahaha! Nope, can't finish that one with a straight face - nothing is fun about War Dog.

I very much disagree. MP-05 was trash and it's well known that it was designed in a rush so I don't really think it's relevant. MP-03 and MP-12 weren't overly difficult transformations. MP-01, it could be argued, was designed with maximum playability in mind. A relatively straight forward (by today's standards) transformation with some at the time damned clever engineering and just so many gimmicks. Flip down communicators, working pistons including some hiding pistons in his knee joints, and that moving mouth plate - this was a toy you were meant to play with and to transform. The MP seekers weren't bad at all except for their lack of possibility. MP-08 had a reasonably simple Transformation while still being clever with how the tail folded away.

Remember the term "Masterpiece moment?" I don't recall who coined the term but it referred to that "wow" or that "oh that's clever" moment during an MP figure's transformation. Optimus' wheels folding around into his torso. Grimlock's tail spinning around and folding into his legs. Those were a joy while modern figures tend to be more of a slog getting from one mode to the other.

• Like Like x 1
  17. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    i only transform mine if they come in alt mode

• Like Like x 1
  18. Nuclearcrunch

Nuclearcrunch Well-Known Member

One of the biggest reasons I don’t want FT jabber is because of all the problems people have had with transformation. I have to at least transform it once, and every now and then I’ll pull one just to transform it. The more complex the better but it has to be a fun complex and not an impossible complex. All UT Bayverse have an amazing and fun transformation that is just such a fun process. TE prime also has an incredible transformation, every step blew my mind. Going back to jabber though I saw a video that makes me think if I’m careful then it won’t break, but all the breakages really turn me off.
    I mostly collect for the engineering, I’ll end up getting multiple mp versions of a character just to experience the engineering. The bot mode is great to display but I want that puzzle experience. However I also collect for the look and character (because again the fun is in displaying as much as it is in transforming).

• Like Like x 2
  19. GX9901DoubleX

GX9901DoubleX Well-Known Member

I transform my figures at least once initially, then occasionally afterwards. I don't find any MP transformations to be "enjoyable", but all I really care about for transformation is that it is possible to do without breaking the figure. As long as the modes look good, I'm willing to deal with difficult transformations.

It's hard to pick favorites and least favorites, but some more recent figures I like the transformation of include MP-44 (believe it or not, I find it pretty easy to execute) and TE-01.

Off the top of my head I'd put FT Koot as one of my least favorite because the vehicle mode is so difficult to finish off. And that is after cutting off a some plastic to remove interference during the middle of the transformation.

20. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

This thread is pure kryptonite to Fans toys right ?

Besides the Dinos & phoenix I don't think Fanstoys has a good transformation.

Below are my 'Fun' Transformations and these are generally fun because they achieve a whole lot with out causing damage & and are intelligent steps rather then panel after panel.

DX9 Carry - Pure bliss to transform
    DX9 Montana - Hated the quality of the figure but love the transformation, very smooth and well designed.
    DX9 Richtofen - a near perfct transformer.
    Magic Square Light of Freedom - Brilliant design and the fact they designed it to scale between masterpiece and legends is pure genius.
    MMC Azalea (G1 version ) - Brilliant design and achieves a really slim looking bot with minimal backpack.
    Takara Sunstreaker - A complete marvel of engineering.

• Like Like x 1